Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide on my Next AR

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Another one of these threads?

Buy the cheapest gun available from any of the highly regarded manufacturers and go shoot. I personally have a preference for Colt and KAC but would not pay the premium for the SOCOM when I can buy an OEM for $700 and swap on a SOCOM barrel $260 then sell off the gov profile silliness...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    You said you were looking at BCM and Colt, both of which are excellent. Flip a coin, or buy the cheaper one - you'll be fine.

UNLESS you want to buy MY pinned/welded 14.7 mid-length gas AR. It's on consignment at my local shop - cerakoted FDE, too. I can send you a link.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    BCM is an excellent option. As for the 14.5" BCM SOCOM barrel and gas port are concerned, I recently built a M4A1 SOPMOD Block II clone using a BCM 14.5" SOCOM barrel. It is accurate and functions flawlessly with M193 and M855 ammo. Running with a H2 buffer tames the carbine gas system. Many will say to buy the Colt LE6920 SOCOM over the BCM, but you cannot go wrong either. Personally, I would put my money on the BCM, but you will have to make that decision for yourself.

As far as LMT goes, they have been producing high quality ARs and components for just over 30 years. They have been involved with the NSWC for many years. As far as I know, they do not provide complete weapons systems to the U.S. military, but they do have several foreign military contracts for complete weapons. In regard to the straight vs. tapered FSB pins, I would not let that be a decision maker. LMT has been using straight pins for many years with full success. Are they as good as KAC? I will say that they are pretty much neck and neck. Each has their niche in the market and neither are cheap as you pay for their quality. I had a LMT Defender several years ago before I stupidly traded it. It was a rock-solid AR. I would love to have another.

When you have LMT, KAC, BCM, and Colt on the list, it can boil down to what you are willing to pay for quality and performance as well as the company behind it. Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 08-27-19 at 14:52.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Ten years ago I spent more than a year trying to understand what makes a quality AR. After all that time I came to the conclusion to just buy from a top tier manufacture. A Colt 6920 or Colt 6920 derivative is the easy choice and that is what I did for my first. Don’t mess with it unless it’s malfunctioning with quality ammo and mags. Then do some research an understand what makes shitty ARs fail. The AR is a pretty simple firearm to diagnose compared to say a 1911.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    This is the way I look at it, for a carbine length barrel (14.5"/16") with a carbine length gas system I'll buy a Colt every time, period, end of discussion. That said, I prefer and would rather have a 16" mid-length from BCM, SIONICS or SOLGW.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    This is the way I look at it, for a carbine length barrel (14.5"/16") with a carbine length gas system I'll buy a Colt every time, period, end of discussion. That said, I prefer and would rather have a 16" mid-length from BCM, SIONICS or SOLGW.
    Same - but more from a potential value standpoint than reliability.

Don’t forget there is an election next year. Guns aren’t the third rail for politics anymore.

Expect a ban.

Profit off a ban.

Don’t be caught buying my $725 6920 for $1950 next year

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    My 14.5 BCM mid length is my perfect gun, especially once upgraded with a Springco blue spring, H3 buffer and bolt upgrade kit. I plan on buying some more pre election to put away along with mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Don’t be caught buying my $725 6920...
    You keep mentioning that.
    I keep a browser window opened to the ArmsUnlimited page.
    There’s just one left.
    But it can’t beat the $605 6920 (OEM-2) from a few months back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post
    My 14.5 BCM mid length is my perfect gun, especially once upgraded with a Springco blue spring, H3 buffer and bolt upgrade kit. I plan on buying some more pre election to put away along with mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The only midlength I've had (as well as another I had experience with but didn't own) wasn't reliable enough running .223 lower pressure ammo (PMC Bronze) in cold conditions. Up until recently, that's kept me scared away from midlengths completely. However, I am looking at the BCM 16" BFH Midlength. If it's as reliable as the carbine length 16"/14.5" running low pressure ammo (PMC Bronze, etc) in sub-optimal conditions, being run long and run hard, then it's a rather tempting choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    BCM is an excellent option. As for the 14.5" BCM SOCOM barrel and gas port are concerned, I recently built a M4A1 SOPMOD Block II clone using a BCM 14.5" SOCOM barrel. It is accurate and functions flawlessly with M193 and M855 ammo. Running with a H2 buffer tames the carbine gas system. Many will say to buy the Colt LE6920 SOCOM over the BCM, but you cannot go wrong either. Personally, I would put my money on the BCM, but you will have to make that decision for yourself.

As far as LMT goes, they have been producing high quality ARs and components for just over 30 years. They have been involved with the NSWC for many years. As far as I know, they do not provide complete weapons systems to the U.S. military, but they do have several foreign military contracts for complete weapons. In regard to the straight vs. tapered FSB pins, I would not let that be a decision maker. LMT has been using straight pins for many years with full success. Are they as good as KAC? I will say that they are pretty much neck and neck. Each has their niche in the market and neither are cheap as you pay for their quality.
    Does that BCM SOCOM run reliably with lower pressure .223 ammo? Also, it's not just the straight FSB pins of the LMT, it's the whole package that feels like corner cutting: straight pins, standard weight buffer, semi auto BCG, no park under FSB. The no parkerizing under the FSB is totally meaningless to me by itself (I'm aware of the reasoning they gave concerning gas leakage, though I'm not necessarily convinced since millions of military M16s and M4s have park'ing under the FSB without gas leakage), but it's just that combined with all the other corners cut that makes me hesitant to buy an LMT.
    Last edited by MSplumber; 08-27-19 at 22:37.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSplumber View Post
    The only midlength I've had (as well as another I had experience with but didn't own) wasn't reliable enough running .223 lower pressure ammo (PMC Bronze) in cold conditions. Up until recently, that's kept me scared away from midlengths completely. However, I am looking at the BCM 16" BFH Midlength. If it's as reliable as the carbine length 16"/14.5" running low pressure ammo (PMC Bronze, etc) in sub-optimal conditions, being run long and run hard, then it's a rather tempting choice.

Does that BCM SOCOM run reliably with lower pressure .223 ammo? Also, it's not just the straight FSB pins of the LMT, it's the whole package that feels like corner cutting: straight pins, standard weight buffer, semi auto BCG, no park under FSB. The no parkerizing under the FSB is totally meaningless to me by itself (I'm aware of the reasoning they gave concerning gas leakage, though I'm not necessarily convinced since millions of military M16s and M4s have park'ing under the FSB without gas leakage), but it's just that combined with all the other corners cut that makes me hesitant to buy an LMT.
    What was the middy? BCM mids are fantastic choices for any type of fighting and/or GP gun. I have several thousand rounds through several of their mid uppers, almost all of which is weak .223.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast