Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NiB-X vs DLC bolt carrier group

Feedback Score

NiB-X vs DLC bolt carrier group

I’ve finally decided on a Sharps Xtreme Performance Bolt (XPB) Carrier Group. There are two versions available NiB-X the other DLC (diamond like coating). If you have any experience with these two coatings can you tell me about your experience. Which is better in your opinion and why. Appreciate whatever knowledge you want to share thanks
    Last edited by LongRider; 08-27-19 at 18:46.

Feedback Score
    This needs moved to the correct section, but I will offer my opinion.

Don't buy the sharps bcg. Sharps has a bad rep with bcg's. The reliabolt was/is plagued with issues. There was a recent thread here in the technical section with issues and s recent thread of a different issue on tos.

Some coatings may add benefit but not much proof other than they look pretty. If I did want an "enhanced" bcg I would pick between a Sionics NP3 or DD/LMT chrome.

A fancy bcg won't make you a better shooter or make your gun run better. Primary Arms has Son's of liberty gun works bcg's for 114.99 on sale currently. that is about the best value you will find. Oem is microbest and they use a enhanced extractor spring. Colt, BCM, Sionics milspec or NP3, LMT, and centurion would be the other vendors I would confidently buy from

You can do much better than a sharps bcg
    Last edited by everready73; 08-27-19 at 19:49.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, wouldn't be much trouble finding the guy who will gladly sell you two of them (brand new I think). ETA: DLC versions

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Wrong forum. Please read the rules before posting.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    NIB holds carbon and appears to form cracks that propegate resulting in sheared lugs.
    MarkM had this happen and I inspected the bolt.

Feedback Score
    ever ready 73, Thank you for input, I do appreciate the effort. The Custom Build Forum would be the place for a question about parts to build an AR. If not I’m sure in moderator can move it to the appropriate spot.

For the purpose of this discussion which BCG is irrelevant. I’ve already made that decision. The coatings is what I have questions about.
    Nib-X coating has a Rc 70 and a coefficient of friction of .06. to .07. Has the well established reputation for being a top-tier coating for BCG that is easier to clean and has better lubricity over older mill spec coatings.
    DLC (Diamond Like Coating) on the other hand is a relative newcomer to the firearms in the industry. With the hardness of diamond clear off of the Rockwell Hardness Chart at least 1000 times harder than NiB-X and a coefficient of friction of 0.02. to 0.04. It is used in the Motorsports, Aerospace, NASA, Formula One Racing, Manufacturing, Nuclear, Medical industries for high friction high wear applications.
    It appears to be the superior coating in every way. But it is cheaper than NiB-X. Which makes me leery of it. Superior quality typically equals higher price, so it makes me curious as to why that is. The only explanation I have found is DLC is easier to apply, and it because it it used in so many applications a greater volume of products are getting Diamond Like Coating both of which make it less expensive to produce BCG coated with It than NiB-X. I was hoping to get a response from someone that has some actual experience with Diamond Like Coating and NiB-X. As they would be best qualified to tell if there is a problem with DLC or reason it would cost less.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    Yeah, wouldn't be much trouble finding the guy who will gladly sell you two of them (brand new I think). ETA: DLC versions
    You got my attention can you give me price, contact info or a link?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    NIB holds carbon and appears to form cracks that propegate resulting in sheared lugs.
    MarkM had this happen and I inspected the bolt.
    Thanks for that info. That’s what I’m looking for actual hands-on experience. I’ve never heard that before about NiB-X. Who made the BCG. Was that a one off manufacturing defect of some sort or a persistent problem with NiB-X?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Custom Build Section is also inappropriate for this topic.....the likely correct location is AR Technical Discussion.

NIB is generally regarded by members of this forum to be an inappropriate poor choice for a BCG, with old fashioned Phosphate being preferred. I don't recall DLC being
    mentioned here as a BCG treatment more than a few times in the last few years, so I doubt you're going to get much (any) feedback from vetted forum members.

As eveready73 stated, Robar's NP3 and hard chrome are solid options if you want to expand beyond Phosphate. I've got one of each, and they work very well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    ever ready 73, Thank you for input, I do appreciate the effort. The Custom Build Forum would be the place for a question about parts to build an AR. If not I’m sure in moderator can move it to the appropriate spot.

For the purpose of this discussion which BCG is irrelevant. I’ve already made that decision. The coatings is what I have questions about.
    Nib-X coating has a Rc 70 and a coefficient of friction of .06. to .07. Has the well established reputation for being a top-tier coating for BCG that is easier to clean and has better lubricity over older mill spec coatings.
    DLC (Diamond Like Coating) on the other hand is a relative newcomer to the firearms in the industry. With the hardness of diamond clear off of the Rockwell Hardness Chart at least 1000 times harder than NiB-X and a coefficient of friction of 0.02. to 0.04. It is used in the Motorsports, Aerospace, NASA, Formula One Racing, Manufacturing, Nuclear, Medical industries for high friction high wear applications.
    It appears to be the superior coating in every way. But it is cheaper than NiB-X. Which makes me leery of it. Superior quality typically equals higher price, so it makes me curious as to why that is. The only explanation I have found is DLC is easier to apply, and it because it it used in so many applications a greater volume of products are getting Diamond Like Coating both of which make it less expensive to produce BCG coated with It than NiB-X. I was hoping to get a response from someone that has some actual experience with Diamond Like Coating and NiB-X. As they would be best qualified to tell if there is a problem with DLC or reason it would cost less.
    The reason they cost less is technology. The DLC process costs less overall, hence less cost is passed on to the consumer.

NiB is a poor choice because of how it works. There are several studies and articles available that show this. As others have stated, NiB can form cracks and cause lug shear as it wears.

Given the two, I'd go for DLC as it does look extremely promising. I don't think many manufacturers have done a lot of extensive testing with it. I believe Geissele was a year ago or so and they said it looks very promising - not sure if they've come out with any new info since. There is your caveat - it appears to work great, but the sample size as a whole is very small. Judge for yourself.
    Last edited by Skyyr; 08-30-19 at 18:42.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast