Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NiB-X vs DLC bolt carrier group

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Nice thing about DLC is that you can clean it with a stainless steel brush without harming the finish. Shooting with a can? Your cleanup just got reduced a lot.
    .25 Lorcin w/ comp and red dot AIWB and a 9mm Calico folder as primary

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Does anyone have a lot of rounds with a DLC BCG? Reading this thread, I took a look and found the Toolcraft for $120 at Arm or Ally. Curious. I haven’t had a problem with phosphate, and like the NP3 from Sionics.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    Nice thing about DLC is that you can clean it with a stainless steel brush without harming the finish. Shooting with a can? Your cleanup just got reduced a lot.
    Do you prefer this over other finishes, like NP3?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Jedi,

I don’t know the round count, but it’s in the thousands of rounds. Looks like a phosphate BCG after the first range trip, but I clean this with a stainless wire brush.

I’ve not used an NP3, but have nothing against trying one. All my stuff is phosphate or chrome otherwise. I’m sure NP3 is great, but I can’t compare to DLC.

One thing I like about DLC is how little lube it requires. I don’t run my gun dry by any means, but the DLC is very forgiving with a suppressor, which tends to blow off lube quickly and burn it up faster.
    .25 Lorcin w/ comp and red dot AIWB and a 9mm Calico folder as primary

Feedback Score
    Jedi,

I don’t know the round count, but it’s in the thousands of rounds. Looks like a phosphate BCG after the first range trip, but I clean this with a stainless wire brush.

I’ve not used an NP3, but have nothing against trying one. All my stuff is phosphate or chrome otherwise. I’m sure NP3 is great, but I can’t compare to DLC.

One thing I like about DLC is how little lube it requires. I don’t run my gun dry by any means, but the DLC is very forgiving with a suppressor, which tends to blow off lube quickly and burn it up faster.
    Only thing about NP3 (and this is from Robar when I called them a couple years ago concerning this subject) is that you have to be more cautious what you clean it with, i.e. the hardness of the implement. Using a metallic wire brush is verboten. It can remove the finish. I guess Ni-PTFE isn't quite as hard as phosphate, DLC, or chrome for example.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Does anyone have a lot of rounds with a DLC BCG? Reading this thread, I took a look and found the Toolcraft for $120 at Arm or Ally. Curious. I haven’t had a problem with phosphate, and like the NP3 from Sionics.
    I do not, but Cryptic Coatings uses DLC and i am sure some people have some rounds on those. I have never heard of issues. At this point I would still lean towards NP3 just because of more known data points with the Sionics BCG

If you wanted to try DLC SPICETAC has the Toolcraft 158 Bolts for $124.99 with free shipping. Their website also has very detailed pictures you can spin around if you wanted to take a closer look. I have ordered other items there, they a GTG small buis

https://www.spicetac.com/toolcraft-dlc-bcg-556/
    Last edited by everready73; 09-05-19 at 09:16.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    People need to understand that most of these BCG coatings and surface treatments are snake oil that offer little to no benefit in the function of the gun. Material & coating changes should be design/engineering based which means it's solving a documented problem and having evidence proving that the changes solve that problem. Similar to nitrided barrels, I've not seen data to support it... just marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Jedi,

My NP3 experience is similar to your DLC experience, except I don’t use a stainless brush. Most of the stuff wipes off easily with a rag, then a little brushing with a nylon brush gets me “good enough” on the bolt tail and inside the carrier.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    People need to understand that most of these BCG coatings and surface treatments are snake oil that offer little to no benefit in the function of the gun. Material & coating changes should be design/engineering based which means it's solving a documented problem and having evidence proving that the changes solve that problem.
    What is it about nitride that puts you off? Is it that chrome-lined isn't broke so don't fix it, or because it's cheaper to manufacture and therefore "cheaper"? I'm truly interested in your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    Similar to nitrided barrels, I've not seen data to support it... just marketing.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    What is it about nitride that puts you off? Is it that chrome-lined isn't broke so don't fix it, or because it's cheaper to manufacture and therefore "cheaper"? I'm truly interested in your opinion.
    Nitride doesn't put me off, (nearly all of our tool components are QPQ) and the cost of the process has nothing to do with "quality". I'm not married to TDP, it 100% comes down to "prove it". Where's the data that says nitride is "better" and in which properties? (TANSTAAFL). In God we trust, all other bring data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast