Thread: Focusing on 1x with LPVO

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Focusing on 1x with LPVO

I dug out a PST 1-4 that had been sitting in a box for a while, as I’ve gotten some decent time in with RDS recently. Wanted to start branching out.

Is it just a matter of training and time to get the eye to “see through” a LPVO on 1x versus the way it naturally does with a RDS?

As I try moving from low ready, there is a noticeable delay as my eye “catches” up and focused while looking through the scope with both eyes open. If that’s normal or takes time to work through it, what have you all done to get past that?
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    A few things:

1. Does it have an ocular focus ring? That may be part of it, if its slightly out of focus for your eye.
    2. Most of it is probably due to scope quality. Unlike budget RDS where the concern is mostly about durability, scope quality will make a huge difference in a few ways. Glass quality and "true" 1x will be the two biggest things.
    3. Training is definitely part of it. I think of it similar to switching from closing one eye while shooting to going both eyes open. It takes practice for your eye to get used to it.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Why yes it does have an ocular focus. That obvious oversight on my part seems like a probable solution, within the limitations of quality. I’ll play around with that. Thank you for the reminder.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Focusing on 1x with LPVO

Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Why yes it does have an ocular focus. That obvious oversight on my part seems like a probable solution, within the limitations of quality. I’ll play around with that. Thank you for the reminder.
    If you’ve never messed with one before, I’m pretty sure Kyle Defoor has a really good video on it. I don’t remember if it’s a stand alone video or part of his video on mounting an LPVO though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I started watching earlier, until stories had to be read prior to bedtime. Will finish it.

Overall, just looking at the manual online and fiddling with the reticle focus seemed to resolve my initial concern. Basic stuff.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    A few things:
    "true" 1x will be the two biggest things.
    Agree with the rest of it. I won't try to talk anyone out of their true 1x, nor suggest that it's not the best option for up close--that's why I run an aimpoint.

That said: I'm consistently impressed how well my old Leupy Mk IV 1.5-5x20 does on 1.5. I think part of it is the good glass--something you already mentioned--and the other part is the horseshoe "SPR" reticle which really helps me with fast acquisition.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Agree with the rest of it. I won't try to talk anyone out of their true 1x, nor suggest that it's not the best option for up close--that's why I run an aimpoint.

That said: I'm consistently impressed how well my old Leupy Mk IV 1.5-5x20 does on 1.5. I think part of it is the good glass--something you already mentioned--and the other part is the horseshoe "SPR" reticle which really helps me with fast acquisition.
    It’s definitely not the best option up close. I’ve been pushing them pretty hard lately and I still stand by most of it, but I probably over glorified them a bit. There’s no free lunch. That being said, with everything a good LPVO brings to the table, I still think it’s the best GP optic choice. Again, my EOTech was barely better, if at all. Accepting that an LPVO May take a bit more training and finesse is worth it IMO, just like a red dot on a pistol.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Focusing on 1x with LPVO

This is good summary. I had one of the lightbulb moments with LPVO vs RDS myself not too long ago as I’ve been working hard to transition to LPVO.

Been doing lots of 5-50 yd drill with LPVO at 1x. Still very happy with splits and accuracy. “This is just as fast and more accurate than RDS...”

A few of my friends and I were up at the range and decided to shoot a little competition. For time, shoot six A-C steel at distances ranging from +/- 80 to 100 yds transitioning from r to l, l to right a little over 90 degrees worth of movement. Hadn’t really done this before with LPVO.

LPVO first. I was getting good hits and I thought decent times. Trying 1x-3x. 11.5 SBR, Vortex Razor G2 E.

Decided I wanted to try my RDS. Colt 14.5 SOCOM, EoTech EXPS2. Wow. What a difference. Still good hits but times were about half!

That was when I realized how limited my FOV and “situational awareness” was with the LPVO on the transitions. Even at 1x, having to have my head down and eyes locked on the tube really made it difficult to make quick transitions vs the RDS. Maybe I should have known this but I hadn’t been training with the LPVO like this.

With more training, the gap is getting smaller but I don’t think I’ll ever be as fast as a RDS for something like this. It was a real eye opener for me - no pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    It’s definitely not the best option up close. I’ve been pushing them pretty hard lately and I still stand by most of it, but I probably over glorified them a bit. There’s no free lunch. That being said, with everything a good LPVO brings to the table, I still think it’s the best GP optic choice. Again, my EOTech was barely better, if at all. Accepting that an LPVO May take a bit more training and finesse is worth it IMO, just like a red dot on a pistol.

Last edited by arptsprt; 08-29-19 at 06:08.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Muscle memory is a thing too. Dry fire's your friend.

Groove in a few thousand weapon mounts with the DOT immediately in focus.