Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chest Rig Suggestions

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    Great place to start.

Also, Flannel Daddy did a decent Chest Rig Comparison. His reviews are unusually well thought out for the interwebz.

Per Doc, you need to know what you are trying to accomplish before you start building up a rig. That will tell you what you need the rig to carry. Something for a long distance patrol is very different than a rig you toss on over slick armor to add a bunch of ammo and capability to a low-viz armor setup, etc.
    That video got me down to the Haley and the Ferro.
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    That video got me down to the Haley and the Ferro.
    Speaking only of the rig itself and not of the strapping you can't go wrong with either

Feedback Score
    I bought a Spiritus Systems Micro chest rig with a 3 mag insert as my first CR. It is built well, but the insert stacks the mags so close together you can’t get a good grip on the mag to control it during the reload process. I’m thinking about either running it without the center mag, or run a belt and use the CR as an administrative supplement to the belt. Anyone else been down this road as well?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloDelta View Post
    I bought a Spiritus Systems Micro chest rig with a 3 mag insert as my first CR. It is built well, but the insert stacks the mags so close together you can’t get a good grip on the mag to control it during the reload process. I’m thinking about either running it without the center mag, or run a belt and use the CR as an administrative supplement to the belt. Anyone else been down this road as well?
    I have one but haven’t used it yet. Either way, with the few CRs I have, I almost never reload from them. Belt is far better, if it’s an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

I've got a slightly older Eagle M4/6-MS-LE-CCA that i really like, as a compliment to my belt. Belt is DEFINITELY go-to gear, but the rig is extremely simple. It does NOT require lacing into the belt; it only holds 3 AR mags. I have a small IFAK on it weak-side (doesn't interfere with my sling) and radio pouch as well. It has a pouch behind the mags just perfect for a 6" x 8" panel of body armor, so I slid some III-A in there.

It's not at all bulky, and as noted, it is much more user-friendly I think - particularly WITH a belt.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiescometh View Post
    If you already have pouches etc etc than I would go with a molle chest rig and add what you want.

A decent solution that covers a lot of options with good reviews. $125
    https://www.skdtac.com/PIG-UCR-Unive...-p/pig.667.htm

I personally went with a molle chest rig for having more custom options but i did add the x-harness from tactical tailor to make it more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know, old post, but.....

I've used this chest rig but with an X harness for a little bit now. It's not bad but I don't know about using AR mags in it. So far I've only used it for AK mags. One AK mag takes up more space, and is heavier than an AR mag. You can stick 2 AR mags in one pouch or 1 AK mag. Because of the weight and overall size I don't think one AR mag will stay in place if you're running around

Feedback Score
    I’m very happy with the 5.11 rig. It is comfortable and holds 6 mags. I’ll be using it during a class this weekend so far so good!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticaldesire View Post
    Aside from some of their pants, I have found 5.11 to be pretty much garbage when it comes to hard use gear.
    I've found the same in using their gear in training.

I honestly like advising people to get a molle 2 or 3 mag (depending on your chest width and build) small chest rig/mag pouch and just buy webbing and straps/clips and make their own. it's very small and lightweight and doesn't cost much that way.

3 mags+IFAK+TQ on the chest
    +
    2 pistol & 1 20rd rifle mag on the belt
    ----------
    132-140 or so rifle rounds + roughly 45 pistol rounds + IFAK

lightweight essentials for people that don't need the extras on most chest rigs. light and tight good for both movement and prone

not a fan of "battle rattle" for people operating solo

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    I've got a slightly older Eagle M4/6-MS-LE-CCA that i really like, as a compliment to my belt. Belt is DEFINITELY go-to gear, but the rig is extremely simple. It does NOT require lacing into the belt; it only holds 3 AR mags. I have a small IFAK on it weak-side (doesn't interfere with my sling) and radio pouch as well. It has a pouch behind the mags just perfect for a 6" x 8" panel of body armor, so I slid some III-A in there.

It's not at all bulky, and as noted, it is much more user-friendly I think - particularly WITH a belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I know, old post, but.....

I've used this chest rig but with an X harness for a little bit now. It's not bad but I don't know about using AR mags in it. So far I've only used it for AK mags. One AK mag takes up more space, and is heavier than an AR mag. You can stick 2 AR mags in one pouch or 1 AK mag. Because of the weight and overall size I don't think one AR mag will stay in place if you're running around
    https://www.skdtac.com/PIG-UCR...ver...-p/pig.667.htm

I have successfully used multiple of these for years in classes and training and keep them as Go Rigs in my various kit. I use Kydex inserts on the middle pouches for AR mags and the Velcro works fine for the outer pouches.

I prefer the X harness for ease of donning and have shot in all positions with no glaring issues. I add a side pouch for medical and the pistol mag pockets are great for a multitool, light, lube, and of course pistol mags! I also keep a foldable dump pouch on the lower chest/waist strap just in case.

It's nice to have multiple identical rigs spread around for a nominal cost in addition to my specialty setups.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    I've found the same in using their gear in training.
    I tried the 5.11 vest in a class once, since I'm an urban commando, and can wear it as a "grey man" in my work. The mag pouches, with one (1) 30rd. AR mag in each of them, kept spilling out on the deck the whole time.

I wouldn't trust one of their ballcaps not to explode at this point...
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast