Thread: Don’t Limit Concealment Options - Training Article by Jeff Gonzales

Feedback Score

Post Don’t Limit Concealment Options - Training Article by Jeff Gonzales

Jeff Gonzales is a regular contributor to the M4C Newsletter and Forum. Not getting the newsletter? Click here.

Don’t Limit Concealment Options

Quality of Life
    During a break at a recent Concealed Carry Tactics Class we discussed quality of life and how carrying concealed factors into that concept. Many folks carry concealed and live. I choose to look at it differently: I live my life and carry concealed.

The Ostrich Syndrome
    What does the Ostrich Syndrome really mean? It means a lot of folks limit their concealment options, and by limiting their concealment options they reduce the ability to truly carry concealed and be armed. As part of the class, students line up and everyone gets a chance to view their concealment system. Usually we do this standing, sitting, and kneeling to give folks a perspective of what they really look like when they are carrying concealed. The funny part is how often folks really think they are concealed when they are just covering up a bulge.

Comfort, First and Foremost
    It goes further than just equipment selection, there is a mindset that goes with carrying concealed that must be honed over years. The real key to carrying concealed is being comfortable. The more comfortable you are with your concealment load out the more competent you will be at concealing. The more competent you are the more confident you will be in public. Part of developing comfort is just doing it, doing it as often as you can and that starts within the safety of your own home. I recommend you make it a practice of carrying in your own, yes there is the enhanced security, but the real advantage is how you go about your daily life. The impact carrying concealed has on your daily activities.

One Trick Pony
    I find it interesting how many questions we get from prospective students asking why we require a primary, secondary, and backup load out in our advanced concealment classes. Many will comment how they only have one load out, and they are good to go. Yet, when we see them in class and we peer review their load out it can have a surprising effect. One student commented how we all know each of us is carrying concealed—which is true. And you should expect that as more and more folks take up the art of concealed carry, people will be looking and dressing down others in public. So, if you can truly carry concealed with limited, and I mean limited, visual signature then the average American will be completely unaware.

Diversity, Embrace It
    A major take away from the class, aside from the training, is the acknowledgement of the diverse skill needed truly carry concealed under a variety of conditions such as perceived threat, equipment requirements, weather, and social settings. Each of these conditions offers unique independent challenges but often overlap with one another. Even if you think your "super special and do it all" concealed load out is the end all be all, I strongly encourage you to diversify. Get good at carrying in a variety of conditions and with different systems. Streamline your actual concealed carry techniques so they transcend all these challenges.
    In the 3 decades I have been carrying concealed, I am still working hard to reduce my visual signature. So should you.

Jeff Gonzales
    Trident Concepts, LLC

Feedback Score
    "That's not a gun, that's my colostomy you a'hole....."
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Good article

Feedback Score
    Good article. We get easily stuck in our ways. Since leaving law enforcement I really haven’t modified anything from what I used to carry, and find myself carrying far less often because of NPE’s and business casual. IWB and AIWB are normally not an option, and that was my bread & butter.

I spend a lot of time in high threat neighborhoods too (South side Chicago, Gary, etc). I need to take a fresh look at my options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I would enjoy a course like the one above to expand my horizons and get new and better ideas for CC options.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise