Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane time (Dorian)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Yea... most people who have never lived through one don't have a clue. Matthew glanced off of our island. Highest gust recorded just over 100mph. It took FEMA 11 months to clean up the trees on public property at times with over 100 trucks/crews hauling it away. Remember.. our island is only 12 miles long. Most of the damage was done by the many tornadoes spawned by the storm. 24" pine trees were snapped off 30 feet above ground and in some cases carried hundreds of feet before crashing to the ground (or house). Not the kinda event you want to witness in person. Get out if at all possible. Will, if you are listening.. Don't know how many snakes you had in Mass but we have plenty here. Most swim very well and end up on whatever high ground they find. Like your garage. Be careful cleaning up after the storm.. Our hospital ran out of anti-venom within a couple of days after the storm. Just something most displaced yankees wouldn't think about.
    What island?
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    What island?
    Hilton Head SC

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Looks like Florida was for the most part lucky. It's our turn within the next 10-12 hours. If you look at the map we are just above the Georgia/South Carolina line. If you look at the track it is supposed to turn a just south of Savannah. The timing of the turn is critical to us. Even if it turns we are expecting a 7 foot storm surge on top of a 7 foot high tide at 1am. Our home is higher than most at 21 feet. Salt water won't be a problem but many won't be so lucky. I have a picture somewhere of water running out of a Burger King drive through window after Matthew. I'll try to get some environmental video tonight for the viewing pleasure of those who don't have the opportunity to see it in person.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Good luck and be safe to folks in the path of this monster. My aunt and uncle evacuated from their SC home. A buddy in Savannah/Pooler is riding it out, but he is west of I-95 where there is not a mandatory evac.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    After being in SC in October 2015 during Hurricane Joaquin, I will never be in South Carolina again if there is a remote possibility of a hurricane and if I happen to be there and rain does not stop after about eight hours I will be leaving immediately.

With the exception of Lexington, South Carolina city government, the official response to the flooding I got to see was very lacking
    Last edited by jsbhike; 09-04-19 at 21:36.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good luck to you guys to the North. Florida got lucky this time. I even drained my damn pool a little too much in anticipation of more rainfall. Oh well...better than the alternative of getting the equivalent of a big ass tornado parked on your location for 2 days. Man that must have sucked.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    A coworker lost her vacation beach home last year in Florence. This morning, a tornado spawned by one of the bands destroyed it again. No idea if she will rebuild.

Several tornadoes in NC, already significant surge and overwash. And it really hasn't even hit NC yet.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    A coworker lost her vacation beach home last year in Florence. This morning, a tornado spawned by one of the bands destroyed it again. No idea if she will rebuild.

Several tornadoes in NC, already significant surge and overwash. And it really hasn't even hit NC yet.
    They can't predict what these things will do. They can only provide an educated guess. Building/Repairing to all applicable codes doesn't mean much when a tornado drops down on you. If she has been hit twice the odds are in her favor to never be hit again.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So far my first hurricane in the south and I’m underwhelmed. Good.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast