Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Administrative loading/unloading

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I stated that I can up the ante at any time but just going to the store or gas station.... I will continue on.

If I get caught up in a mass shooting the first thing my big ass is doing is finding cover and who is doing what. I would think I can do two things at once. If it’s your time, it’s your time. There are many, many times when I honestly should have been killed but wasn’t.

Plus..... I know my area and what’s more, my area knows me. Nobody gives me any problems. Nobody gives me any issues. And I just don’t feel threatened. Some people might. I don’t. If being hot all the time makes you feel better then please dont let me of all people discourage you.

There’s more to life than being scared of every day being like going to Khe Sanh just to get a case of soda pop and skittles.

I mean..... I have walked through Downtown ATL with no worries.

But again, I cannot and will not be the metric of how you gauge your own level of personal uneasiness. I made it this long in life and barring anything absolutely unforseen will probably die in my 60s on the shitter. And I am okay with that.

Again I am just saying what one “gun guy” said. I’m not these other people. Firefly can only do Firefly.

But going back on topic, if you feel comfortable having to constantly recycle through Gold Dots just to go to Publix to get a chicken sandwich...

Go ahead and hit that subscribe button. It really helps me out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Once upon a time I was gonna put a clearing barrel by the front door of where I live, because, reasons.

Then I thought "I don't clear my pistols or rifles just 'cause I'm goin' in the house.

So I didn't.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I just want to point out that:

A- This isn't Israel.
    B- The Israelis don't do it, either.

Israeli carry was invented when the Israelis were literally carrying whatever guns they could find and that included guns which, due to age and neglect, were functional but not mechanically safe. While training a bunch of people with literally no previous firearms experience and needing to get them out of training and into the field right now, so even when the guns were mechanically safe, the people carrying them often weren't.
    A fair number of the FN Mk II & III Hipowers that got imported from Israel a few years back had the early flat thumb safety instead of the ambi extended. Not sure if ordered that way or modified, but that would seem to indicate that they were going chamber empty at that time.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I stated that I can up the ante at any time but just going to the store or gas station.... I will continue on.

If I get caught up in a mass shooting the first thing my big ass is doing is finding cover and who is doing what. I would think I can do two things at once. If it’s your time, it’s your time. There are many, many times when I honestly should have been killed but wasn’t.

Plus..... I know my area and what’s more, my area knows me. Nobody gives me any problems. Nobody gives me any issues. And I just don’t feel threatened. Some people might. I don’t. If being hot all the time makes you feel better then please dont let me of all people discourage you.

There’s more to life than being scared of every day being like going to Khe Sanh just to get a case of soda pop and skittles.

I mean..... I have walked through Downtown ATL with no worries.

But again, I cannot and will not be the metric of how you gauge your own level of personal uneasiness. I made it this long in life and barring anything absolutely unforseen will probably die in my 60s on the shitter. And I am okay with that.

Again I am just saying what one “gun guy” said. I’m not these other people. Firefly can only do Firefly.

But going back on topic, if you feel comfortable having to constantly recycle through Gold Dots just to go to Publix to get a chicken sandwich...

Go ahead and hit that subscribe button. It really helps me out.
    Pretty much same here. At this point I don't even really know why I have ARs other than for recreation, and any more I just don't really care about that either.

I would probably be totally content with only a G19 kept in a drawer at home. It would probably be healthier too, to not spend hours online and at the range preparing for some big gun battle.

I am in no way belittling what others do, and I know this is a forum dedicated to just that, but I may just be growing weary of all these years spent amped up for a shootout.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Everyone is heard of Israeli carry. It’s also common for a lot of different military outfits. Because, I suspect, conscripts and teenagers generally suck at gun safety.

***note! I ain’t saying you shouldn’t. I am a man who generally carries a pocket .38 so I am totally familiar with the wrath of the tactical or death crowd. It’s pretty old school, but definitely a safe way to carry a Glock.
    The reason Israeli has that type of carry is because back in the day they had a hodgepodge of weapons (probably to some extent today too) and the only way to train everyone the same was to start with an empty chamber.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Ken Hackathorn said that when he was over training Israelis they would throw their rifles on the ground before they jumped off the back of a truck. He said it was pretty atrocious. But I have no doubt what you say is true.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    I would probably be totally content with only a G19 kept in a drawer at home. It would probably be healthier too, to not spend hours online and at the range preparing for some big gun battle.

I am in no way belittling what others do, and I know this is a forum dedicated to just that, but I may just be growing weary of all these years spent amped up for a shootout.
    I know carrying can be a PITA, and I don't carry 24/7 like some on here advocate and do.

I want to address these statements:

It would probably be healthier too, to not spend hours online and at the range preparing for some big gun battle.

and

I may just be growing weary of all these years spent amped up for a shootout.

I guess it might be mindset, but I trained police officers for most of my life. When you teach recruits you probably articulate and therefore think about the purpose of the firearms we carry, but I got to be honest, that is the last thing that enters my mind as I shoot. Shooting is in and of itself an enjoyable past time.

Quit focusing on the target as a bad guy and just shoot. Most of the shooting exercises/challenges (see, I didn't say drills) you set up do have a real world component, but treat them as shooting skill challenges. As an example, why would I practice drawing and shooting off stair-steps up and down, strong foot and then with support foot first? I just focus on it being a shooting problem to overcome. Force-on-force, on the other hand, is completely martial and should be approached in that manner, total immersion. But event then, the skills you built having fun, will cross right over.

As far as your second statement, if you are approaching life as an exercise where you are going 'okay, now I'm yellow, now I'm organge, back to yellow' you are missing the point of the color codes of alertness. The codes should just serve to remind us that we need to be more alert as the situation dictates.

Early on you may need to tell yourself 'I'm entering a chokepoint, if someone enters from the other direction I will....' after a while tha sort of thinking should become second nature. As an example, my wife sometimes asks me 'why did you change lanes?' and I'd realize I hadn't really thought about changing lanes, sometimes it is to create distance forward in traffic, sometimes it is to leave myself an out when stopping in traffic at an intersection. The point I'm trying to make is that the 'instinct' is the result of mindful practice of commentary driving with counter-ambush tactics thrown into the mix, after a while you don't even think about it, it just runs in the background.

I've said this probably too often on this forum, but read up on commentary driving, read 'The Gift of Fear' and take the lessons to heart, practice talking to yourself about what you see when driving and going about your daily routine, at first you will have to consciously think of things to say to yourself, then it will become easier and you will realize you are seeing more things to talk to yourself about, then it becomes second nature and you really don't have to consciously remind yourself other than to make you feel better 'okay, heavy traffic, better step it up' or 'this is a sketchy looking area, don't let down.' It becomes second nature, and I have to admit, somewhat aggravating to the folks around you as you ask 'What did you think of that guy?' 'What guy?' 'The guy open carrying in the line next to us.' 'Didn't see him.' 'Oh' (with subtle inflection) 'Fvck you!'
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Well, this has wandered pretty far afield from my original post, and a technique to not batter carry ammo.
    All that said, some good points here, especially not to go places with a gun that I wouldn't go without one.
    The comments about shooting for the pleasure of it, rather than prepping for Armageddon were also well taken.
    Many of us here are civilians, only concerned about self defense. We don't have to 'ride to the sound of the guns', and, in fact, are better served not wading in, if the situation is less than perfectly clear.
    As far as carrying chamber empty, as protection against losing your gun, that argument, taken to it's logical conclusion, would leave the gun at home in the safe.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I hate to name check but even Mr. Vickers advocates Condition 3 and unless I am mistaken it is current military doctrine so there’s that.

If you are worried about snakes then maybe you need something like a Judge for a trail gun.

The reason you NEVER want to hand chamber a round is aside from a potential slamfire you are damaging your extractor each and every time you do that.

If you are in such a bad position that you gotta be cleared hot all day and it’s not your paid job then that comes down to self reflection on how you ended up there.

I shot a bear with a single shot .44 as a teen and really....was always told to carry that gun on an empty cylinder so.....
    At least in the Air Force, current carry of the M9 is loaded chamber, decocked, safety off. I'm a current member and have carried the M9 on duty.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345