Over the years, I've noticed that the top round in the magazine suffers from repeated loadings. Recently, I've been toting a P365 at camp, and want snakeshot for hiking, but defensive ammo for the wee hours of the night. The top round was soon shorter; I was loading by the time honored method of letting the slide slam.
In some older Smith autos, it was possible to drop a round in the chamber, ease the slide forward, and press on the rear of the extractor to help it over the cartridge rim.
The Sig didn't want to do this, but it was amenable to easing the slide forward, slowly but not too slowly, feeding a round from the magazine. The round chambered, the slide went fully into battery. The round suffers no damage.
Couple caveats:
-I'm not suggesting anything but letting the slide slam for a serious reload; this is simply for administrative handling.
-Some guns (original style 1911s with internal extractors especially) simply have to be vigorously loaded from the magazine.
-The objective is saving damage to expensive defensive ammo, not cheapie range stuff.
So, thoughts?
Moon