Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frontier 5.56 55 grain

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Frontier 5.56 55 grain

Anybody have experience with this? It's about $2 / 20 cheaper than the competition on the shelf at the local Academy sporting goods stores. I shot about 200 rounds without incident.

Feedback Score

Frontier 5.56 55 grain

It’s made at Lake City as I understand it, and seems to be descent quality stuff. Has Hornady bullets which are good quality. I’ve not shot a whole lot but no problems form it. I’ve heard nothing negative about it. I pick up a lot of Frontier stamped brass on the range and he always seems to be good quality. I don’t find any cases that failed to go boom, (which I do other brands...could be a bad primer or weak hammer so draw from that what you will). Carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lsllc; 08-31-19 at 07:45.

Feedback Score
    I just went through a 150 round box. Burns fairly clean and no failures of any kind. Can’t say anything about the accuracy since it was all offhand at 50 yards and under.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I bought a 1000 round case of the Frontier 5.56 55 grain hp and have gone through 300-400 rounds with zero problems. They “feel” a little hotter than the Federal/AE xm193 I usually shoot but that doesn’t seem to be a problem.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    There appears to be kabooms related to this ammo in certain loadings.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    There appears to be kabooms related to this ammo in certain loadings.
    Yes, and the couple I could tie to specific weapons on TOS were PSA’s with “5.56” chambers. As an owner of Ned’s chamber gauge, I can say that PSA’s definition of a 5.56 chamber differs from Ned’s. Guess which I trust?

The rest of the reports look like they might just be reposting and inflating the issue. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if both of the blown up PSAs were the same incident.

I’ve shot a few boxes of the 68 gr Frontier with no ill effects, and I like the stuff. It seems a bit warm, but I didn’t chrono any. I plan to buy more and try it in a few guns. I think I shot a case of the 55gr recently, too. I’ll report back here if I blow one up. Or if I get around to chrono’ing. Might be a couple months.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I like the loadings they offer, and the prices even more. I didn't make the mental connection with the brand of rifles that were blown up. I've shot some of the 62gr BTHP, with decent results.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Yes, and the couple I could tie to specific weapons on TOS were PSA’s with “5.56” chambers. As an owner of Ned’s chamber gauge, I can say that PSA’s definition of a 5.56 chamber differs from Ned’s. Guess which I trust?

The rest of the reports look like they might just be reposting and inflating the issue. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if both of the blown up PSAs were the same incident.

I’ve shot a few boxes of the 68 gr Frontier with no ill effects, and I like the stuff. It seems a bit warm, but I didn’t chrono any. I plan to buy more and try it in a few guns. I think I shot a case of the 55gr recently, too. I’ll report back here if I blow one up. Or if I get around to chrono’ing. Might be a couple months.
    one was a PSA CHF (FN) barrel so FN barrels are suspect as well. Other Kb's were with a POF piston gun and a Diemaco upper. Another mentioned blown primers with DD and BCM built guns.

Hornady claims rifle/shooter issues because Hornady's responses I found indicated it was out of battery discharges due to lack of cleaning.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 08-31-19 at 21:43.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I went through one of the 150rnd boxes last fall, no issues and was pleased with the accuracy (judging it by M193 standards). It *seemed* like on average it could group a bit tighter than the other M193 loadings I regularly use.
    The kaboom reports I started hearing actually did discourage me from buying more at the time, and I figured I would wait awhile before trying it again in the event there was some kind of QC issue at Hornady that needed sorting out, however I've mostly been buying Federal and Wolf Gold since then and haven't gotten around to giving the Hornady Frontier another go.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    one was a PSA CHF (FN) barrel so FN barrels are suspect as well. Other Kb's were with a POF piston gun and a Diemaco upper. Another mentioned blown primers with DD and BCM built guns.

Hornady claims rifle/shooter issues because Hornady's responses I found indicated it was out of battery discharges due to lack of cleaning.
    I suppose I should have researched a little more. That site is pretty hard to gather relevant information from.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast