Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Frontier 5.56 55 grain

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I suppose I should have researched a little more. That site is pretty hard to gather relevant information from.
    I was surprised at Hornady's response.
    Looks like kaboom reports started last fall with some up in to this summer. Seen a mention it seems limited to certain lots of 55gr fmj 5.56, but that seems to be via 3rd party review of reported events.

Scratch that certain lots part and that reminded me of 1168's experience. Read the Diemaco with Frontier kaboom again and the main/only person making the only a few lots claim doesn't seem to be a very credible source.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 09-02-19 at 17:13.

Feedback Score
    I’m going to do a YouTube video on this in the near future. I have 1000 of the 223 55gr bthp stocked up and I have shot 120 223 55gr bthp 40 5.56 55gr bthp and 40 5.56 75gr Bthp. I have checked all of the 55gr stuff for over pressure signs and no signs. I didn’t find a couple of the 75gr casings but the ones I did find were all fine.

Lake city actually makes it. Hornady bullet and box but the rest is lake city to keep costs down. If the lots were jacked up it’s on lake city but Hornady has handled the backlash wrong. My buddy’s unit had a bad lot of m855 and it broke 3 bolts right as soon as they went hot.

Feedback Score
    Hi
    Did a pull-down and shot some targets with it. Very accurate in my M&P 15 Sport.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1o9ly103e/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I bought 2 boxes to shoot at a local range, and will never buy again. It cycled the guns fine; it was just the most flashy ammo I have ever shot. It felt like someone was taking your picture when shooting the 10.5 indoors. Would be cool if you where trying to do some action style photography though.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I bought 2 boxes to shoot at a local range, and will never buy again. It cycled the guns fine; it was just the most flashy ammo I have ever shot. It felt like someone was taking your picture when shooting the 10.5 indoors.
    FOUND your issue.

I could cook a hotdog in the muzzle flash of my Bren 805, even using PMC. Unless I'm 'shooting' snap caps, EVERY brand of ammo will make a 10.5 flash.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Gents, I had 2-3 misfires with this ammo in a Noveske 14.5

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ftbear View Post
    Gents, I had 2-3 misfires with this ammo in a Noveske 14.5
    Factory gun? Factory trigger? What condition was the hammer spring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Frontier apparently makes several different loads and grain weights so be careful of what you buy. A quick look at a large retail outlet star ratings shows wide variation of satisfaction from buyers. Some of the problems appeared to be serious. I have not tried their 55 gr, but their 75 gr "match" load did not work in one of my ARs -- 3.6" group at 100 yds vs 0.659" group for my hand loads (and that was head to head comparison of several other makes too). I posted my comments about their "match" ammo on the retail outlet ratings section. My negative review of the 75 gr. bullets was posted, but it was hard to find a year ago and I could not find it at all today! Hope you have better luck with the 55 gr.

Feedback Score
    Went through about 1,200 rounds of it (Frontier 5.56) over 3 days mid September. Fairly accurate, and reliably cycled.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I bought some of the 55 grain 5.56 last year, and had many blown primers while shooting suppressed. DD 11.5" and Centurion 12.5". Both with gas port inserts. Thousands of rounds through each of these barrels using various ammo without issue.
    Earlier this year, my agency bought a bunch of the 55 grain 5.56 for training. Lots of fail to fire and popped primers ensued. Dept FNs, personal weapons of all kinds. I have found the accuracy mediocre as well.
    I tried several hundred of the 75 grain 5.56 loading as well. I had no reliability problems, but the accuracy was 2MOA at best with guns that shoot half that with other factory loads.
    With so many good ammo options available, I don't see any reason to buy the Frontier.
    Last edited by MQ105; 10-31-19 at 04:10.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast