Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Frontier 5.56 55 grain

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    Craaap! I just checked my 500 round case and sure enough......SMQ18C867-007. Welp, that’s that I suppose. Save it for some odd SHTF event.
    I'd think in a SHTF event you'd want 100% reliable and effective ammunition, no?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    Craaap! I just checked my 500 round case and sure enough......SMQ18C867-007. Welp, that’s that I suppose. Save it for some odd SHTF event.
    LOL so... In this low probability but highly important event with an extremely high penalty for failure you're going to trust your life to ammunition you wouldn't use on a sunny range day where people aren't shooting back? Makes sense. This level of stupidity is right up there with the people who buy shit AR-15's "just in case" and then put shit optics and accessories on them.

iTs JuSt IN cASe... iLL PrObAbLy NevR EvUn uSe iT...
    Last edited by Mr. Goodtimes; 12-13-19 at 21:17.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I'd think in a SHTF event you'd want 100% reliable and effective ammunition, no?
    I suppose it’s too late to say that there was suggested sarcasm in my statement.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    LOL so... In this low probability but highly important event with an extremely high penalty for failure you're going to trust your life to ammunition you wouldn't use on a sunny range day where people aren't shooting back? Makes sense. This level of stupidity is right up there with the people who buy shit AR-15's "just in case" and then put shit optics and accessories on them.

iTs JuSt IN cASe... iLL PrObAbLy NevR EvUn uSe iT...
    For pete sake.....sarcasm applies. Lol.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I finally got around to shooting some from when I bought a case from PSA a few months ago when it was bundled with a stack of Pmags, (lot SMQ18G) and it’s been stupid accurate out of my URGI upper. No issues yet but I’m only a quarter of the way through the case.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 12-14-19 at 12:38.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    It’s been stupid accurate out of my URGI upper.

Meaning what...

Distance?
    Group size?
    Pics?

Feedback Score
    I’ve never shot any Frontier as I’m a reloader and shoot my own. I pick up brass whenever I can.

Noticed a couple cases that were very over pressured. All others I have looked ok. Primers were missing from these two and had to of fallen out during firing.

So if you have some, don’t use in .223 chambers. Maybe fire a couple and look at case. These cases had heavy marks from ejector and extractor. And the rim was bent. They also didn’t fit into my l-n-l plate as the base was deformed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I was at the range yesterday and had multiple failures to fire with Hornady Frontier 55 gr 5.56 (primarily) and 68 gr HP .223 in a Ruger American Rifle. All had healthy primer indents and all but one fired after loading them into my LMT AR.

One would not fire, and is the first new factory loaded centerfire dud I have ever had.

The RAR is new-to-me and light primer strikes are not unheard of with them, so I cannot discount a rifle issue. On the other hand, I ran through 40 rounds of PMC Bronze .223 without issue while zeroing.

Clarification - I know I should not shoot 5.56 ammo in my .223 RAR, but I would expect a striker fired bolt action rifle to set off any viable round. None of the cases showed any obvious pressure signs or hard bolt lift.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 12-30-19 at 09:01.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I was at the range yesterday and had multiple failures to fire with Hornady Frontier 55 gr 5.56 (primarily) and 68 gr HP .223 in a Ruger American Rifle. All had healthy primer indents and all but one fired after loading them into my LMT AR.

One would not fire, and is the first new factory loaded centerfire dud I have ever had.

The RAR is new-to-me and light primer strikes are not unheard of with them, so I cannot discount a rifle issue. On the other hand, I ran through 40 rounds of PMC Bronze .223 without issue while zeroing.

Clarification - I know I should not shoot 5.56 ammo in my .223 RAR, but I would expect a striker fired bolt action rifle to set off any viable round. None of the cases showed any obvious pressure signs or hard bolt lift.

Andy
    Can you tell us what lot numbers you had the problems with?
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post

The Frontier 5.56x45 should have the thicker harder to setoff military primers, so you're results are not surprising to me. I'd have to try multiple other 5.56x45 factory loads before drawing any conclusions about the Frontier.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast