Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Frontier 5.56 55 grain

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    For what it's worth, I took the Ruger out again and shot some Hornady Frontier .223 (with some other ammo) without issue. Don't know why I had a few misfires before. The best groups from the RAR were handloaded 62 gr Hornady BTHP over 335. Unfortunately the load is a little light and didn't reliably lock the bolt back on my 18" rifle gas AR.

Feedback Score
    Anyone else shoot some recent batches of this ammo? Anything good or bad to report? We have a bunch of it available at our distributor that I was going to start adding to our orders here and there to stock up.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    My agency bought some of the 5.56 55 FMJ and we have had many popped primers and some FT fire from 16” FNs, 14.5” Colts, and some 11.5” DD. In most guns the accuracy is less than stellar.
    I don’t have the lot numbers, but we got it in Oct of ‘19.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ105 View Post
    My agency bought some of the 5.56 55 FMJ and we have had many popped primers and some FT fire from 16” FNs, 14.5” Colts, and some 11.5” DD. In most guns the accuracy is less than stellar.
    I don’t have the lot numbers, but we got it in Oct of ‘19.
    Been reloading some range pick up brass (caveat there, likely once fired, but could have been another reloaders brass longevity test) and noticed Frontier and Federal .223 head stamps require almost no effort to seat primers. The sensation with the Lee tool is the same as when a primer doesn't get picked up to seat.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the heads up guys. Guess I'll hold off a little bit longer.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Amen. There are just so many options for quality ammo, I don't feel it makes sense to roll the dice with Frontier.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't like Frontier, as I've shot some 62gr, and it was less accurate than even m855 in my SPR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Been reloading some range pick up brass (caveat there, likely once fired, but could have been another reloaders brass longevity test) and noticed Frontier and Federal .223 head stamps require almost no effort to seat primers. The sensation with the Lee tool is the same as when a primer doesn't get picked up to seat.
    This is good to know, thanks. .223 reloading is in my near future.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    This is a known issue with FC headstamp.
    Federal does not anneal their case heads as do virtually all other manufacturers and therefore you get primer pocket expansion. Nothing wrong with FC ammo, but I only reload it one time, and then scrap it. I have reloaded some Frontier from one lit with no problems, but I'll watch for loose primer pockets.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 02-08-20 at 21:31.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Oh man its kinda weird for me to see so many bad experiences with frontier. On of my shooting buddies orders the 75gr stuff by 2 cases at a time and it consistently holds sub moa in his large barrels. I just ordered 500 rounds (not a ton compared to units and departments) of the 55gr FMJ to get through the next 2 months worth of matches. I'll be sure to confirm zero and verify accuracy.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast