Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Active shooter situation- out on the streets... Midland/Odessa, Texas

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    That's interesting. I tried to find his book in electronic form earlier this week and just found $50-90 paperbacks.
    I think this is where I read that assumption by acquaintances of his:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...opics/248226/1

Correction...not an acquaintance, just someone who read the book you are looking for(I haven't yet).

Post #4575390 "gaperry59" :

"I've always admired Askins, Sr. (a Major), who seemed like a decent guy who loved (and lived) to hunt birds. He managed to eke out enough of a living as a writer to support his birdhunting, but was hampered by a bad marriage and I'm sure the pain of having a psychopathic son. You can tell early on in the pages of Unrepentant Sinner that the reason Askins, Sr. pulled some strings and got his son a job in the Forest Service in the wilds of Montana was to try to keep him out of trouble."
    Last edited by jsbhike; 09-02-19 at 14:17.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I just consulted a clinical pharmacist to make sure I have my stuff straight prior to posting here about SSRI’s and suicide, because I don’t read many studies on primary care drugs.

When new drugs are trialed, “all causes mortality” is a metric that is considered. So, if you’re testing a new drug to treat herpes, and some old fat people have heart attacks and die, these results are reported. If more of the drug group vs control group die, then “this drug may increase the risk of sudden cardiac death”. The population that gets prescribed SSRI’s is predisposed to suicide vs the general population. A “successful” suicide attempt is....mortality. As in “all causes mortality”. So, “this drug may increase the risk of suicide or suicidal thoughts”.

Also, one of the symptoms of severe depression is not wanting to do ANYTHING. As in can’t get out of bed to eat, much less murder yourself/someone else. When taking SSRI’s the depression may not go away right away, but you start to feel a little better and do better job of being active. This is a high risk period. Additionally, some patients may begin to feel better and suddenly decide that they’re cured and don’t need their antidepressants. Bad idea. Non drug therapy in conjunction with SSRI’s with a qualified headshrinker is a good idea.

Point being, correlation does not equal causation. And if you are not qualified to interpret the data, you may be misunderstanding it. Vaccines do not cause autism. The full moon does not cause all hell to break loose. Etc. Humans excel at pattern recognition, and with that gift comes the curse of false pattern recognition. Here’s a pattern for you: a common thread of all mass killers is that their blood tests positive for dihydrogen monoxide. Cease consuming this poison at once! See, it sounds ridiculous in that tone, doesn’t it?

I took SSRI’s for a while. I didn’t and will continue to not, murder anyone. I decided that I didn’t want to take a pill everyday and took up drinking instead. Guess which is more dangerous? Booze is also associated with suicide. (I’m not saying that I am exceptionally high risk for that.)

Many MDs, nurses, paramedics, and cops take SSRI’s. Lots of them. Depression and PTSD are endemic in that population. How often do you hear about them going on murdering sprees?

But what do I know? I’m just an asshole posting in a forum where people are constantly talking about religion, or how higher education exists to turn you into a liberal.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Blaming SSRIs is nearly as dangerous as blaming guns when it comes to threats to civil liberty. It's also using the same flawed logical fallacies. There's the assumption of causation (cum hoc fallacy): Most of the shooters were on SSRIs at one point, therefore, we can conclude that the SSRIs caused them to carry out these mass shootings. It also uses the coincidentally named, and I say this without any pun or insensitivity intended, the "Texas sharpshooter fallacy": That is, taking the dozen or so people on SSRIs who commit these mass shootings and making it look like this is what SSRIs do to most, or all people who use them, while ignoring the millions on SSRIs who are completely normal, safe, and have these mental health problems under control as a result of the medication.

Demonizing SSRIs will have extremely far reaching effects. First, SSRIs help many people struggling with depression and anxiety, myself including. Scapegoating SSRIs is going to lead to only two things, and both of them are intolerable.

It could lead to the banning antidepressants, meaning that millions will have to suffer with their mental ailments without any hope for treatment. I know a lot of old school people think that the cure for anxiety is the George Patton method: Scream and slap them around until they grow a dick and a set of balls. And the cure for depression is to kick the person in the ass and tell them to quit their bitching and count their blessings. And a lot of the alpha dogs would applaud it too, because they think the "weak minded" like myself need to be weeded out anyway, and that medication to help us is a crime against nature's law of survival of the fittest. And to those who think that, I say f**k y'all.

The other option if we scapegoat SSRIs is that it would revoke our 2nd Amendment rights. That of course uses the same logic for banning AR-15s: A few people who used them were murderers, so NOBODY is allowed to have them. And yes, again the alphas love that and I've been told before "I don't give a f**k about your right to defend yourself. If you need medication, you're unworthy of defending yourself!" And again, f**k y'all.

I'm on SSRIs and I have been for nearly 20 years. I've tried functioning without them, and I'm in a constant severe depression when I've tried. So I'm staying on them. I've never been violent before or while I was on them. I legally own guns. I have a CCL. I have a clean criminal record. Nobody is taking either my medication OR my guns away from me because of something another person did. F**k that shit!
    Last edited by BoringGuy45; 09-02-19 at 12:44.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    Blaming SSRIs is nearly as dangerous as blaming guns when it comes to threats to civil liberty. It's also using the same flawed logical fallacies. There's the assumption of causation (cum hoc fallacy): Most of the shooters were on SSRIs at one point, therefore, we can conclude that the SSRIs caused them to carry out these mass shootings. It also uses the coincidentally named, and I say this without any pun or insensitivity intended, the "Texas sharpshooter fallacy": That is, taking the dozen or so people on SSRIs who commit these mass shootings and making it look like this is what SSRIs do to most, or all people who use them, while ignoring the millions on SSRIs who are completely normal, safe, and have these mental health problems under control as a result of the medication.

Demonizing SSRIs will have extremely far reaching effects. First, SSRIs help many people struggling with depression and anxiety, myself including. Scapegoating SSRIs is going to lead to only two things, and both of them are intolerable.

It could lead to the banning antidepressants, meaning that millions will have to suffer with their mental ailments without any hope for treatment. I know a lot of old school people think that the cure for anxiety is the George Patton method: Scream and slap them around until they grow a dick and a set of balls. And the cure for depression is to kick the person in the ass and tell them to quit their bitching and count their blessings. And a lot of the alpha dogs would applaud it too, because they think the "weak minded" like myself need to be weeded out anyway, and that medication to help us is a crime against nature's law of survival of the fittest. And to those who think that, I say f**k y'all.

The other option if we scapegoat SSRIs is that it would revoke our 2nd Amendment rights. That of course uses the same logic for banning AR-15s: A few people who used them were murderers, so NOBODY is allowed to have them. And yes, again the alphas love that and I've been told before "I don't give a f**k about your right to defend yourself. If you need medication, you're unworthy of defending yourself!" And again, f**k y'all.

I'm on SSRIs and I have been for nearly 20 years. I've tried functioning without them, and I'm in a constant severe depression when I've tried. So I'm staying on them. I've never been violent before or while I was on them. I legally own guns. I have a CCL. I have a clean criminal record. Nobody is taking either my medication OR my guns away from me because of something another person did. F**k that shit!
    A reality of all humans, due to inherent hard wired internal bias is, if it's inline with our POV on something, correlation = causation. If it's contrary to our POV it's "hey, correlation does not equal causation!" It takes a certain amount of mental discipline to not do that, but no human is immune to it for reasons you touch on so well. That's why things like double blinding exist in studies and so forth. Just being aware of it and self aware about it, can go a long way to not doing it...
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Curious, what is the extent of your psychopharmacological background?
    No. And that's a big HELL NO.

You use the logical fallacy of an Ad hominem attack against someones credentials because your theory is junk science.

Your theory is junk science because it's based on the logical fallacy of causation.

I don't have or need any credentials to understand a logical fallacy and the scientific method. You should look them up before continuing this debate.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    I just happened to go to Hobbs, instead of Midland/Odessa, the other day and I wasn’t aware it was going on until it was over. A couple coworkers were in the area, and they said you couldn’t even buy a bottle of water at a convenience store when it was an active situation. They were at the mall and stores were shutting the doors, and turned them away. It pretty much shut both cities down, and it’s causing me delays getting my tools supplied, today.

There are many people working in the area that are unable to be armed due to work restrictions.
    There was a house party shooting in Hobbs not too long ago as well. Multiple killed IRRC?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Meanwhile, another lively holiday weekend in Chicago with 41 shot and 7 killed and nothing but crickets from the Left.

https://abc7chicago.com/41-shot-7-fa...lence/5510911/
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Shooter said to have purchased weapon through a private sale, previously failed a background check..

https://www.cbs7.com/content/news/AP...559281041.html

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Active shooter situation- out on the streets... Midland/Odessa, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    No. And that's a big HELL NO.

You use the logical fallacy of an Ad hominem attack against someones credentials because your theory is junk science.

Your theory is junk science because it's based on the logical fallacy of causation.

I don't have or need any credentials to understand a logical fallacy and the scientific method. You should look them up before continuing this debate.
    Dude, what? I was asking a genuine question.

Take a knee a drink water ffs

As to JoshNCs creds I’ll give him a leg up over the knowledge bases of most non-practitioners. But being both educated and having worked in the field with my fair share of psychiatrists,psych NPs, and clinical psychologists there is in fact a schism that exists between the domains of traditional internal medicine folks and those who specialize is in the fields of abnormal psychology and psychopharmacology. The latter being a bit more of wild Wild West world where everything isn’t so black and white as found in medical texts. Traditional MDs use to shit all over psych as it is.

So, again take a Xanax and chill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 09-03-19 at 22:11.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet432 View Post
    Shooter said to have purchased weapon through a private sale, previously failed a background check..

https://www.cbs7.com/content/news/AP...559281041.html
    I'm wondering if they'll start seeing if they can find who he got it from. Even if it was a private sale, there's a paper trail that's going to start somewhere.

Obviously, if the person he bought it from sold it in good faith, that's one thing. But I do know more than my fair share of guys who have done straw sales or sold weapons to friends whom they knew were prohibited.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast