Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone here own a Vang Comp?

Feedback Score
    I will definitely post a review. I’m going with a sniper grey cerakote finish, 6 shot side shell carrier and all the Vang Comp goodies

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have two 870's that I sent off for the barrel work based on the ones I saw in my previous military and LE experience. Vancomp offers a significant discount to First Responders (at the time I got mine done), and you should expect significant tighter patterns and less felt recoil......worth the work and quick turnaround they offered me.

Their dome safety is good to go as well as their Detachable Side Ammo Carrier... got both on my Police Magnum and Magpul Edition (like them Magpul stocks!).
    Last edited by DD_USMC; 09-24-19 at 11:37. Reason: added info

Feedback Score
    I just finished a week long class at Gunsite with a Mossberg 590A1 18.5” with the full package. I’d shot the class a year and a half ago with an unmodified 20” version of the same gun. After shooting a classmate’s 18.5” Vang Comp 870 back to back with my 20” I was sold. Back on target faster with a lighter shorter gun? Take my money... I switched mid week from the Magpul stock to the Hogue short stock when we visited Vang Comp after class. Hans had me mount it a couple times before determining even the Magpul’s LOP was to long for me (5’8” with a 6’ wingspan).

Feedback Score
    I never did get around to patterning their basic 00 buck against some Flite Control or TAP rounds. I’ll need to check that report of counter intuitive looser patterns from the Flite Control or TAP rounds from my barrel

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I just completed Tom Givens' Shotgun Instructor class. We had several Vang Comp-equipped shotguns in class, including one of mine.

Across the entire spectrum of shotguns, the best and most consistent patterns were with the Federal Flite-Control 8-pellet 00 Buck. We had 18 shooters in class, and that held true for all the guns we patterned.

The Brenneke slugs seemed to do very well, also.

I have a Vang 14.5" barrel on my 870 SBS. It was one of the Secret Service models. It definitely shoots the Federal plated 00 Buck very well, but the Flite-Control seems to do better out of my factory bores.

As always, you really need to pattern your load in your barrel. You should also re-pattern when you change ammo lots. There will frequently be subtle changes in the powder or even the grex and/or wad that cushion the loads.

Funny thing, Tom assigned each of us a research topic in the instructor class, and we had to deliver a presentation for critique to our fellow instructor candidates. Mine was on patterning buckshot.

Something we saw a lot in class, and I have seen a lot as well, is the "9-pellet flyer". It seems like a lot of the 9-pellet loads would have a nice pattern, except for one stray pellet.

And when you consider that's a .33 lead projectile flying between 1150 and 1500 feet per second, you ought to keep that in mind. That can easily be a clean miss at 12-20 yards. A Vang barrel could help with that, if you do not have Flite-Control.

You pays you money, and takes you chances.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    The Magpul stocks are great on Mossberg shotguns. It was pretty useless on my 870. I couldn’t run the safety well. Looks like it was designed with the Mossberg in mind. It’s slick with the tang safety. The forend is great for adding an optic.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12