Thread: Help with an Aimpoint T1 issue

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Help with an Aimpoint T1 issue

I need some advice from experienced Aimpoint users. I've only had a handful of Aimpoints and not clear on best next steps.

I have a T1 2 MOA that I got new several years ago, and having issues with fuzzy/imprecise dot. The dot has always been adequate for the 25 to 50y training that I did with it, and still is. But trying to shoot it at longer range recently, realized how much the inconsistent and unclear edges around the reticle are contributing to a lack of accuracy at distance. Also, this is *not* astigmatism. I have extremely low measured astigmatism on a recent eye exam, and what little I have is corrected by RX shooting lenses or glasses. I have zero issue with other red dot sights, and have 20/15 vision except up close. Also my teenage daughter has used this rifle and sees the same fuzziness, inconsistent shape, and very slight starburst effect around the edges. A cell phone pic of the dot confirms there is inconsistency there.

I've already contacted Aimpoint service to see what the options are to repair/replace. If they'll take care of it, we are good--it's still within the warranty period.

Here's the questions:
    * Is this pretty normal with a T1? Am I wasting my time trying to make it better by going through service, i.e., will they just 'repair' only to find nothing has changed?
    * Would I be better served to not waste time trying to fix this issue on a T1 RDS, and just switch to.....what, exactly? I've looked at T2's that only slightly better, including the one I have. Trijicon MRO? Or just forget it and get another LPVO?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The T2 and Comp M5 have noticeably "cleaner" dots then the T1. If you are planning on using a magnifier in conjunction with the dot I recommend one of them.

Some things that can help. Keep the brightness as low as you can while still seeing the dot clearly enough to make your shot. The brighter you have the dot the more bloom you will get. Don't look AT the dot. This can cause perception issues for some people.

I'm not sure what distance you are shooting at but I have used Aimpoints with and without magnifiers to make shots out to 300 plus yards with no issues. If you are trying to stretch to greater distances than that an LPVO may be the way to go for your uses.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I work for Aimpoint as a Pro Staff member.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks--we've tried all the published workarounds including those, not really any difference. We'd consider it progress if this red dot could get hits accurately at 100, let alone 300. I pull the red dot off and the Troy iron sights shoot more accurately. :-)

Am I likely to get anywhere with the service team? Or am I likely to get a "That's the nature of the T1--sorry" type of response. Honestly don't have a ton of time to spend on it. If they are likely to try and make me whole, I'll follow up with them via the mail thread I started. If what I have is considered "normal T1 behavior", I'm probably gonna move on.

ETA: So I'll be patient and wait for Aimpoint service's response, and update the thread when I learn more. It's not urgent, the sight still works perfectly well for the purpose I was using it--HD and close range. I've actually always liked it for its simplicity and reliability, and the fact I could just leave it on all the time. :-) What I'm curious to figure out is whether this modest amount of distortion of the dot is just normal T1 expected behavior, and the only solution is get a T2 or move onto something else. From reading around a bit, it sounds like my T1 experience is actually pretty normal and well known, even for guys who don't have astigmatism. Of course at the time I bought it, it wasn't that well known.
    Last edited by maximus83; 09-01-19 at 15:57.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What kind of accuracy are you expecting? I have no issues keeping my rounds in the black of a B8 repair center at 100 yards with a decent gun and ammo wearing a T1. Is it going to be sub MOA? Not very likely but then the gun and ammo probably are not either. If you are looking for tiny long range groups a red dot optic is probably not the tool for you. As you allude to it is meant to be a fast close to medium range tool.

If there is an issue with your optic John will take care of you. As far as your comment of "moving on" you need to determine what your goal really is. You might find another dot optic appears "cleaner", it all depends on how your eyes perceive the dot. It will vary depending on how the dot is being projected (LED, generation of LED, laser, etc.). I don't see the dots as perfectly round either on the T1 series but I do suffer from astigmatism. If I look at the target rather than staring at the dot it really doesn't bother me and again the T2 and M5 help a good bit.

From your post it sounds like you might be happier with a LPVO of course you will lose the forgiving eyebox of a true 1x optic. Again, determine your mission, then pick you gear based on that. Good luck.

ETA: Being more accurate with irons than a dot is not entirely uncommon, especially in people that learned on irons. Remember the advantage of the dot is the ability to keep both eyes open, single plane focus and thus speed of engagement.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe R. View Post
    If there is an issue with your optic John will take care of you.
    Sounds good, thanks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    An update--I decided to drop getting service on the T1. Researching it quite a bit and seeing pics of other T1 dots, and trying 2 rifles of fellow shooters with T1's at the range, it appears to me that the fuzziness in my dot is within the range of 'expected behavior.' Waiting for their service to respond to my service request through the online form, but it doesn't matter--I expect it will end with a "That's normal T1 dot" type of resolution. If I were them and looking at my red dot compared to others, that's what I'd tell me (now that I've looked at a number of other T1's). To get a more optically 'crisp' and precise red dot, almost universally, it seems like the consensus is Trijicon MRO or get another Aimpoint T2. Part of the stated design of the T2 was to improve the optics and coatings to give a more crisp red dot, and it seems like it typically does. I definitely like the T2 I have and no issues with that one, so I know that's a safe bet.

Trying to update my whole set of optics on rifles right now, so I'm testing everything and everything is up for grabs. I have a new LPVO inbound (Vortex Razor 1-6) to run on one rifle. Also just as a test, going to try a P.A. 1x Cyclops prism sight, with the ACSS reticle. I've been wanting to try a prism-type optic for a while with an etched reticle and no magnification, and this one seems like the best thing going. If I really like the prism sight--as I've seen some shooters say--it could become a viable solution. The etched reticle and BDC/ranging features are appealing at first glance, but I hear some guys say the reticle--even the horseshoe part for CQB--is pretty darn small. Also it's not going to have the battery life and certainly not the combat-tested reliability of an Aimpoint. Trade-offs, no matter what.....
    Last edited by maximus83; 09-05-19 at 12:06. Reason: replace word