Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I have body armor?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Don't laugh... I bought one of the cheap Bushnell "Equinox" units, and it's addictive.
    Lol. I hear ya. I’m waiting to finish buying cars for teenage girls then it’s on to white phosphor dual tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    I don't have much with which to compare it, but at across-the-backyard distances (<100') the Bushnell works really, really well.

Did I mention that it cost barely $100?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I don't have much with which to compare it, but at across-the-backyard distances (<100') the Bushnell works really, really well.

Did I mention that it cost barely $100?
    I hear ya. It’s all good. I got a PVS-14 WP for a customer and now I’m done for. Once you try it...

"An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    it's legal for you to buy armor plates.
    A jackass in California named Mike Honda introduced a bill to ban purchasing and ownership by non law enforcement people, but to my knowledge it hasn't gone anywhere.

I was checking into the armor plates and I had people tell me the same thing, that they only sell to LEO, but that's their policy and not the law. I found a few places that would sell to non LEO with no problems.
    I would check your local laws just to be sure of any limitations, just in case.

I opted for the steel plates. They're
    8 1/2 pounds each, which is manageable for me. The 11x14 plates I saw were 10 1/2 pounds each, that's a significant difference. I thought it would make more sense to get plates that would last forever, and since I'm no armor expert I figured the steel would do just that. I didn't want to buy something that could wear our or expire, especially if it's something that may be banned in the future.
    Also, I'd read up on the level 3+ plates instead of the level 3. They did something with the hardening process and the 3+ plates can stop the fast m193 55 grain rounds. The tests I saw showed the m193 going through the level 3 plates.

Level 3+ is an industry rating, not a rating given by the organization that certifies them. That being the case, I wouldn't trust level 3+ to have that heat treat from anyone but an established company.

Good luck in choosing

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Bimmer, where are you at on this at this point?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by .223Pound View Post
    A jackass in California introduced a bill...
    Story of my life... I've been in and out of California since 1992. It's been like watching a long slow train wreck.

Saving graces: Most of these stupid rules are unenforceable, and I have friends/family in other states.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    Bimmer, where are you at on this at this point?
    I'm now overseas until January, and I hope to move on this sometime early next year...

I'm still thinking BALCS panels with somekind of carrier, like several weeks ago:

https://www.beezcombatsystems.com/BC...ER-SSP-500.htm

I understand the problem of Level III vs. rifle rounds, but I find plates really unappealing vs. soft panels in terms of coverage and flexibility.
    Last edited by Bimmer; 10-20-19 at 03:00.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Story of my life... I've been in and out of California since 1992. It's been like watching a long slow train wreck.

Saving graces: Most of these stupid rules are unenforceable, and I have friends/family in other states.

I'm now overseas until January, and I hope to move on this sometime early next year...

I'm still thinking BALCS panels with somekind of carrier, like several weeks ago:

https://www.beezcombatsystems.com/BC...ER-SSP-500.htm

I understand the problem of Level III vs. rifle rounds, but I find plates really unappealing vs. soft panels in terms of coverage and flexibility.
    I hear ya. You may be different but I really hated the soft armor and level iii plates. Way to bulky and heavy. If you “hate plates” you’ll really hate that setup.

Like I said, I run those BPM Level 4 lightweights and that LBT cattier and it’s like 18-20# and comfortable. I can wear that all day with no issues. It’s slick enough to not be restricting but give you enough protection. I’ll pm you the links and you can do the research while you’re on hold.

There are other carrier that might be lighter in empty weight but none that I’ve seen that provide this good combo of streamlined design and good durable build plus padding.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine Corporal View Post
    Someone goes out in his fenced in backyard to walk the dog wearing a plate carrier and a rifle. I thought I heard it all.
    Hey, don't knock it till you try it...K9 oper8ors are the new hotness...
    In all seriousness though, I went out with a rifle once. Was taking care of some ankle biters and I live in the country, and there were a couple bobcats hanging around at the time, so you know... just in case. Granted, I didn't bother with a PC, but I really did wish for NODs though...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    ... That said I use LBT-6094A carriers. Very durable and very comfortable...
    If anyone is going with the 6094 option, be aware that they've made a few different variations over the years, one of which was a bit longer in the plate bag size, and likely your plates won't ride were you want them... be sure to get the current gen (3?) variation.
    The current gen LBT is also very similar to the Eagle MMAC, so if you like that type of carrier, you could almost say it comes down to whichever you find a deal on first, the feature options on the current gen LBT and MMAC are almost identical.
    https://www.optactical.com/eamumiarca.html

I've had both the "to long" 6094 and the current gen carrier- the current version IS a real nice carrier, and I dig the C-bund radio slots, because you can fit more than just radios in them, so it saves money on an extra mag/IFAK pouch if you don't mind something in a "wingman pouch" position.
    That being said, I also can't stand the MMAC/6094 carriers because A) that slick nylon backing it NOT breathable and sticks to you like a wet piece of plastic if you intend to sweat at all in this thing. Which means immediately installing an Armorvent pad system is a must, which means a slight + to the "fatness profile" of your carrier. Seriously, I wish they'd join the 21st century and put some 3D mesh backing there already...
    And B) I really hate the buckle/sliders on the shoulder blade area. It may also become a comfort issue if you ever intent to run a pack ICW the carrier.

Other than that...great carrier. I might give the MMAC a *slight* plus simply for having a ready-to-go Kangaroo front flap, instead of needing to buy an extra insert like the 6094, but that's just a quibble.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Should I have body armor?

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Hey, don't knock it till you try it...K9 oper8ors are the new hotness...
    In all seriousness though, I went out with a rifle once. Was taking care of some ankle biters and I live in the country, and there were a couple bobcats hanging around at the time, so you know... just in case. Granted, I didn't bother with a PC, but I really did wish for NODs though...

If anyone is going with the 6094 option, be aware that they've made a few different variations over the years, one of which was a bit longer in the plate bag size, and likely your plates won't ride were you want them... be sure to get the current gen (3?) variation.
    The current gen LBT is also very similar to the Eagle MMAC, so if you like that type of carrier, you could almost say it comes down to whichever you find a deal on first, the feature options on the current gen LBT and MMAC are almost identical.
    https://www.optactical.com/eamumiarca.html

I've had both the "to long" 6094 and the current gen carrier- the current version IS a real nice carrier, and I dig the C-bund radio slots, because you can fit more than just radios in them, so it saves money on an extra mag/IFAK pouch if you don't mind something in a "wingman pouch" position.
    That being said, I also can't stand the MMAC/6094 carriers because A) that slick nylon backing it NOT breathable and sticks to you like a wet piece of plastic if you intend to sweat at all in this thing. Which means immediately installing an Armorvent pad system is a must, which means a slight + to the "fatness profile" of your carrier. Seriously, I wish they'd join the 21st century and put some 3D mesh backing there already...
    And B) I really hate the buckle/sliders on the shoulder blade area. It may also become a comfort issue if you ever intent to run a pack ICW the carrier.

Other than that...great carrier. I might give the MMAC a *slight* plus simply for having a ready-to-go Kangaroo front flap, instead of needing to buy an extra insert like the 6094, but that's just a quibble.
    Yes. I forgot about the MMAC. They are essentially the same carrier aside from what’s mentioned above. I honestly don’t know if the Eagle is 500D or 1000D Cordura. I know my old MARCIRAS was 1000D and it was stupid heavy by itself.

I don’t have issue with sweating in mine. I sweat in it regularly. I guess I just expect that it won’t really breath much and am happy it’s minimalist. Lol.

It looks like it will take a rectangle back plate. I’m not sure firsthand but you can always get a shooter cut back plate. I’ve found that triple curve rectangle to be very comfortable for a back plate.

Currently LBT is only making 1 version of the 6094 for the .civ market and it’s the slightly longer version. I think they have float pockets too but don’t quote me on it.

Last edited by Sparky5019; 10-20-19 at 13:18.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Right now, with the political climate as it is, armor is certainly worth thinking about and when you have plates like the Botach Battle Steel IV 10x12 for $99 each and a Grey Ghost Gear Minimalist Carrier for $49.95, the price of entry is certainly low.

That Botach plate pretty much eliminates the need for steel as a choice for those on a budget or just looking to pick it up for a better to have it and not need it mind set.
    Last edited by mrbieler; 10-21-19 at 09:26.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast