Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I have body armor?

Feedback Score
    Really, plates seem really unappealing because they're more bulky/inflexible and the coverage is less...

I'd rather have wrap-around soft armor that covers more, even if it won't stop a rifle round.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Really, plates seem really unappealing because they're more bulky/inflexible and the coverage is less...

I'd rather have wrap-around soft armor that covers more, even if it won't stop a rifle round.
    I completely agree, which is why the setup under my bed is a 3lb carrier with 2lb soft plates. It'll stop 90% of what comes through my door and I'm at full speed and movement while wearing it

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I had the same question about weather I needed it or not. With all the chaos that comes with these modern times, I figured better to have it and not need it than... etc... Although I haven't bought a set yet, it is on the list. I ran across this article when I started to look. I found it very helpful. Pretty much breaks it down to buy the type of body armor for the situation that you imagine you'll find yourself in. It also reviews several makers out there to help with a choice.

https://theprepared.com/self-defense...of-body-armor/

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by teufelhund1918; 09-19-19 at 06:56.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    The perceived need for body armor is entirely related to your level of belief that the collapse of society, even briefly, will happen, that it will affect the security of you and your family, and that having body armor will somehow enhance that security. Personally, I just don't see it. But that's me.
    That sums it up for me. It's not out of the question I may get some at some point, but it's low priority per above.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    That sums it up for me. It's not out of the question I may get some at some point, but it's low priority per above.
    In Florida you might be one hurricane away from the Katrina situation in New Orleans

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    In Florida you might be one hurricane away from the Katrina situation in New Orleans
    Always possible but there's a lot of things I'm more likely to need to survive than body armor. It does seem like good body armor continues to get more cost effective, so maybe that's something I will consider too.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhund1918 View Post
    I had the same question about weather I needed it or not. With all the chaos that comes with these modern times, I figured better to have it and not need it than... etc... Although I haven't bought a set yet, it is on the list. I ran across this article when I started to look. I found it very helpful. Pretty much breaks it down to buy the type of body armor for the situation that you imagine you'll find yourself in. It also reviews several makers out there to help with a choice.

https://theprepared.com/self-defense...of-body-armor/

Hope this helps!
    I made it about 1 page down that link and was pleased to see:
    There is a ton of bad info out there, with people giving dangerously wrong advice
    but then I immediately encountered such gems as:

"Steel plates usually stop one type of common AR-15 round but not the other, while ceramic plates do the inverse."
    "All armor is rated by level. The higher the level, the more types of ammo it protects against. All soft armor is level IIIa (i.e. “3 minus”) or below, and all hard armor is III, III+, or IV"
    "The steel vs. ceramic debate is more of a personal preference at this point."

I stopped reading. The author clearly knows just enough to be a danger to anyone who reads that article, but lacks any real technical knowledge of armor, how it works, or how it's rated. It's a textbook example of the Dunning-Kruger effect at its finest.
    Last edited by ClangClang; 09-19-19 at 21:03.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClangClang View Post
    I stopped reading. The author clearly knows just enough to be a danger to anyone who reads that article, but lacks any real technical knowledge of armor, how it works, or how it's rated. It's a textbook example of the Dunning-Kruger effect at its finest.
    Well, shit you made it further than me- I saw "bulletproof" and didn't even bother to click... I already knew what was coming...

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Forum error induced double tap
    Last edited by Jellybean; 09-25-19 at 12:20.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post

Unless you are LEO, your chances of needing a plate carrier in CONUS are minimal. Even in SHTF, wearing a plate carrier around is a no-go since it will paint you as something you dont want to be associated with for either side. Unless you are taking a class requires hard armor, it should be the absolute last thing on your list.

I would suggest getting something like a concealable soft armor vest that you can "up armor" with an internal plate holder or plate bag if you really really need rifle protection. Our own MM did a write up on a set up like this which I suggest you look into.

http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/crye8.html#lvs
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 09-22-19 at 12:21.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast