G&R Tactical
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Should I have body armor?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Story of my life... I've been in and out of California since 1992. It's been like watching a long slow train wreck.

Saving graces: Most of these stupid rules are unenforceable, and I have friends/family in other states.

I'm now overseas until January, and I hope to move on this sometime early next year...

I'm still thinking BALCS panels with somekind of carrier, like several weeks ago:

https://www.beezcombatsystems.com/BC...ER-SSP-500.htm

I understand the problem of Level III vs. rifle rounds, but I find plates really unappealing vs. soft panels in terms of coverage and flexibility.
    MBAV gives you a lot of flexibility. I would probably go MBAV before BALCS.

Of course what probably makes the most sense is getting a concealable vest in a true concealable cut (i.e. not BALCS), and then getting a low profile plate carrier with SAPI plates to wear over it.

That way you have kind of a layered system that's centered around being the gray man as much as possible. Even in a complete meltdown, there are many reasons why you wouldn't want to go around in tac gear. At the very least, someone might want to take it from you.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I ordered a set of the Botach level IV plates last week, and got them in today. The multi curve is pretty nice, they're light, and seemed to be constructed well. Hopefully I won't get a chance to test them out

The plates and PC are about 1/3 the weight of the IOTV I used in the army. I've had a Condor PC with soft III inserts for years now, looking to get a Crye SPC soon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    MBAV gives you a lot of flexibility. I would probably go MBAV before BALCS.

Of course what probably makes the most sense is getting a concealable vest in a true concealable cut (i.e. not BALCS), and then getting a low profile plate carrier with SAPI plates to wear over it.
    I don't want plates, just soft armor, and I want more coverage, so MBAV is out...

Concealability isn't a high priority... I'm medium height/build, so I could easily wear a slick BALCS-carrier under a sweatshirt or jacket and it wouldn't be noticeable from any distance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I don't want plates, just soft armor, and I want more coverage, so MBAV is out...

Concealability isn't a high priority... I'm medium height/build, so I could easily wear a slick BALCS-carrier under a sweatshirt or jacket and it wouldn't be noticeable from any distance.
    Even in a slick carrier, BALCS isn't really concealable. Not too far removed from a Vietnam era flak vest, to be honest.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Even in a slick carrier, BALCS isn't really concealable.
    I figured that, but that'll be fine...

Somebody within spitting distance might notice I'm wearing it, but somebody at across-the-backyard range probably won't figure it out, especially the local trailer trash that I'm most worried about.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213