Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I have body armor?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot_man View Post
    If you get shot without armor, who is going to patch you up?

I had this thought, too...

At the best of times health care here in the middle of nowhere is tenuous — many complicated cases are transported hundreds of miles to the nearest major metropolitan area.

If there were a major earthquake or the power goes out for a week or more, then I expect that there would be little/no professional healthcare available.

I'm middle-aged and hyper-cautious/risk-averse. I always wear a helmet (and gloves!) on my bicycle. Avoiding a GSW (by both avoiding confrontation and wearing armor) would be a priority...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I went back and forth on this topic, but eventually settled on "better to have it than to need it". I've ended up with a set of Velocity Systems Lvl4 ceramics and a set of Spartan Armor Lvl3 AR550s both in BFG PlateMinus carriers. Pretty simple setups that are on hand for both my wife and I should the worst happen.

Right now, I have both VelSys plates in one carrier and both AR550s in the other, but I'm considering maybe setting them up so they're both the same with ceramic in front and AR550 in the rear. I'll have to think more about that, though.

I've also considered grabbing a set of concealable soft armor as well, but haven't sorted that out yet.

And yeah, getting shot would suck...Especially so if health care access were disrupted. Even with armor, you could take a round in the guts, extremities, or face and suffer a gruesome death. I still think having armor available is worthwhile, though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    And yeah, getting shot would suck... Especially so if health care access were disrupted. Even with armor, you could take a round in the guts, extremities, or face, and suffer a gruesome death.
    Or the neck, or the shoulder, or even the backside...

I think it's about risk management. Having a lot of smoke alarms and fire extinguishers (even the automatic ones) is no guarantee that my house won't burn down with me in it, but it reduces risk, and I sleep better.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Avoiding a GSW (by both avoiding confrontation and wearing armor) would be a priority...
    I suspect that is everyone’s priority, (unless you’re a nut job) but I think you’re better thinking your plan like every plan out there will not survive first contact. Look on the bright side, you can go hiking with your armor on and get an even better workout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am an Architect, will I ever need body armor? Who the hell knows, probably not. Having said that, I have a Crye JPC with BulletProofMe Lvl 4 stand alone plates. I added the Arbor Arms cummerbund kit and SKD shoulder pads and it is a super comfortable setup. I have run it in several classes and the weight doesn't seem to be an issue.

I say get it, take a class while using it and see if it's something you can work with. Even if it's something you don't find comfortable, as others have said, better have it and not need it.

I am thinking of picking up a second setup. A Slickster with the same level 4 stand alone plates. I've spent more money on dumber stuff at least if the shit really does hit the fan, it's a useful item to have.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyyr View Post
    Barring a flat-out invasion of CONUS, armor is really only useful to non-mil/LEO in offensive situations. I can really only think of one two scenarios where a civilian would need to don body armor in an offensive capacity and they're extremely, extremely unlikely (e.g. you're participating in the next revolution as a three-pee'er or similar and you have to use your own gear). Everything else is either the result of watching too many Hollywood movies or having delusions of grandeur.

That said, it's not bad to have on hand; but, if you have it, you need to train with it as much as you train without armor. Also, it has a shelf life. I'm not certain how/if they're good past that, I just remember all of my issued plates having an expiration date on them.
    Even then nobody knows what conditions of conflict will be. The OP's concern for body armor because it might no longer be available is something we can all understand. Nobody likes it. But where are you going to wear this body armor anyway? Are you going on patrol? Is this for a final assault on Sacramento? How does it fit in?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Even then nobody knows what conditions of conflict will be. The OP's concern for body armor because it might no longer be available is something we can all understand. Nobody likes it. But where are you going to wear this body armor anyway? Are you going on patrol? Is this for a final assault on Sacramento? How does it fit in?
    Going along with this concept - if you view armor as needed for total societal breakdown, or, for repelling a home invasion crew - wouldn't you also want to buy it for the entire family?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Everyone agrees we all don't need it until we do...so how big of a threat are you facing, some antifa douches with air soft or street seal team 69?

Crye Precision JPC 2.0
    Spiritus Systems LV119
    Mayflower
    Ferro Slickster

All of these are mostly slick setups and all use the quick clips, almost all are interchangeable which makes your kit 100% what you need and want.

Plates I always keep a set of Botach soft plates close, I actually own 2 sets of botach soft plates because they're cheap.

Stand alone, I truly don't think anyone right now can come close to Hesco plates. Go downrange and that's all you're going to see. Personally I keep the L210 because I don't see a "home need" for the 3810's. For my job I use the 3810's and thats about all you'll see if they aren't issued to you in the places I go.

My personal home bedside grab is the Spiritus Systems LV119 with Botach soft plates. It weighs less than 4 lbs without a front placard.

Downrange is the Crye Precision JPC 2.0 with Hesco 3810'a.

I use variations of the Spiritus Systems Microflight MK4, and the Hayley Strategic D3CRX depending on load out.

Something to keep in mind for a home rig and why I choose the Spiritus LV119 is that more than likely you'll need medical more than anything else. My front pouches are 80% medical and 20% load out. I use the 5" cummerbund with its 3 per side mag pouches to carry the extra ammo because I more than likely won't need it. Like everyone agrees, always good to have, probably will never need.

You'll probably exceed your $750 with the hesco plates but a good starting setup can also be your last one for years if you bu right the first time.

I will say never steel, and keep it minimal, if we as Americans need to use this stuff for whatever reason you're going to wish you had a smaller, lighter, tighter mobile setup if you go big and cheap. theres also ZERO reason alone needs a 30lb empty setup because they wanted to save money. Keep that crap steel for working out and no for actual use
    Last edited by abailey2112; 09-16-19 at 10:33.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by abailey2112 View Post
    Everyone agrees we all don't need it until we do...so how big of a threat are you facing, some antifa douches with air soft or street seal team 69?
    Threat: I'm thinking local trailer trash with a handgun.

So, soft armor looks good to me...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Threat: I'm thinking local trailer trash with a handgun.

So, soft armor looks good to me...

LMAO yaaaaas! honestly though thats how you have to look at it. The current threat here in most parts of the states is exactly that, local meth head tries bath salts in universal studios bathroom.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast