Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I have body armor?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Thanks, man... This is really helpful.

Stupid question: How would I best stick a couple mag pouches on the front of the Paraclete LVBC?
    https://ferroconcepts.com/collection...uch-triple-556
    They have single to triple pouches and pistol ones also. Just need to make sure the cummerbund is long enough to secure it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    Perfect...

So, a LVAC carrier, BALCS armor, a couple pockets, and I think I'm done for ≈$600-650ish.

Super.

More

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Thanks, man... This is really helpful.

Stupid question: How would I best stick a couple mag pouches on the front of the Paraclete LVBC?
    Yeah, you could use velcro pouches under the C-bund like Zombie said, or you'd have to run a chest rig over it.
    Granted, there are other BALCS carriers out there that are a little more "tactical/overt" but I did not post them because most of them are either more expensive or bulkier, and if you're just running soft armor, I wasn't sure you wanted that. Like you said in the last post about going out to do tasks around the house, I wasn't sure what sort of "profile" you wanted to present. Do you have close neighbors?
    BUT...

Here's one from BCS that seems to be a cross between the Paracelete carrier and a Slickster, with mag slots on the c-bund, a kangaroo front flap with a little extra MOLLE but still a slick rear, and compatible with Swift-Clip attachments; for $10 more, this may get you a better all-round level of capability, at the cost of some profile/concealability.
    https://www.beezcombatsystems.com/BA...B-LVBC-500.htm

For less than either, there's still the LVR, that's slick, and designed to work specifically with a Swift-clip chest rig/assault panel addition;
    https://www.beezcombatsystems.com/BA...-B-LVR-500.htm

The make a number of other variations as well- here's a laser-cut option with FS Tubes;
    https://www.beezcombatsystems.com/BA...r-TSPG-500.htm
    AT armor also makes a MOLLE-bedecked version with elastic side pouches as well;
    https://store.atarmor.com/BALCS_Tact..._p/at-btac.htm

And so forth- there's still a surprising number of BALCS options out there, given the prevalence of plates these days.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 09-03-19 at 10:34.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Granted, there are other BALCS carriers out there that are a little more "tactical/overt" but I did not post them because most of them are either more expensive or bulkier, and if you're just running soft armor, I wasn't sure you wanted that.
    BUT...
    Thanks... Looking around, I think this might be the "Goldilocks" carrier for me:

https://www.beezcombatsystems.com/BC...ER-SSP-500.htm

It seems like everything I want: BALCS-compatible, pockets for rifle plates if I decide I want that later, and space for a couple mags.

I do NOT want to carry everything including the kitchen sink around on my vest...

Am I right to assume that BCS/Beez is decent quality if you keep pointing me to them?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I’ve heard of Beez, can’t remember if it was here or elsewhere, but it was supposed to be decent stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks... Looking around, I think this might be the "Goldilocks" carrier for me:

It seems like everything I want: BALCS-compatible, pockets for rifle plates if I decide I want that later, and space for a couple mags.

I do NOT want to carry everything including the kitchen sink around on my vest...

Am I right to assume that BCS/Beez is decent quality if you keep pointing me to them?
    I have a few of their chest rigs and they seem good to go.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

I have not heard anything awful so far; everything seems to be mostly positive.
    Generally, if Soldier Systems runs features on a brands products one can assume they are good to go.

IIRC, they are/were also sort of a custom company, so if you're looking at a product and it's like 90% there and just needs something added/removed to work how you want, I'd drop them a line- they might tweak it for you, since their stuff is made-to-order anyway.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am a college professor. Short version...

Sometimes laws are such that you can’t get a dangerous student off campus, and our armed officers can’t follow you everywhere. I will say there was a brief period where I was VERY glad to be wearing armor under my civvies while lecturing!
    I won’t speak to carrying in a NPE:)

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    I think the need for armor is kind of subjective, and there are several factors that go into choosing to get it or not. In short, if you have the cash and other needs are filled then I’d say go for it if it’s what you’d like to have. Nothing at all wrong with having some.

For me, every time I think about getting armor I always end up putting the money to more ammo, medical kit, optics, holsters, etc. But....... I live in area that’s borderline remote. Very, very rural. Sounds like your area is much more apt to see widespread civil unrest than i am in my area.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Also, since body armor would wind up hanging in my climate-controlled home office closet 99% of the time, I expect it would last forever.
    I see you're leaning towards BALCS cut, IIIA soft armor. Good choice as it balances protection and coverage against cost. More modern cuts are slightly more ergonomic and lighter, but typically more expensive. BALCS will defeat all common pistol rounds, but if you see someone with an AR/AK/rifle, run away as you might as well be wearing a t shirt. One important storage reminder: Don't hang it. Soft armor panels need to be stored laying flat. Otherwise the weight of the panels begins to crush the lower edges and they roll upwards and deform permanently. Otherwise, it will likely last forever.

Under your usage (i.e. somewhere between infrequently and never) I would expect your panels to maintain their rated ballistic protection for 20+ years. The 5 year "expiration" is a very common misconception. It's not an expiration date at all. It's a warranty. Your car doesn't expire when you hit 60,000 miles (an arbitrary warranty period), ballistic products don't expire either. However, wearing them daily and sweating in them, getting them dirty, tons of wear and tear, etc will likely see a panel need to be replaced in 5ish years.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast