Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I have body armor?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine Corporal View Post
    I gotta disagree with that. I cannot see that ever working wearing a tank top and shorts in the summer. I cannot see that working wearing a shirt and tie at work. It still shows no matter how light it is. I cannot ever see that working in any hot climate without air conditioning unless you want to sweat your butt off. I cannot imagine a construction laborer in the hot sun wearing that or a mechanic that’s under vehicles all day long.

Life is a set of compromises. It would be ideal to wear a plate carrier and carry a rifle everywhere too but it isn’t realistic so we compromise with a pistol. Wearing a vest is the same thing. Even off duty Police forego it. On duty Air Marshals forego it.

Do you wear a helmet too? Probably not because it’s a hindrance. I see wearing armor all day long as a hindrance as well.

As I said, it's all about does your gear work for you. Nothing conceals under a tank top as there is nearly no shoulder material to conceal the vest's shoulder portion, so I'm going to assume you were being sarcastic there. Hard manual labor by profession is not normal civilian weekend activities. So... thanks? But my Point Blank Vision vest without plates conceals well under a regular T shirt and is cool enough on a hot Summer day. 11 x 14 plates in the Propper vests are hotter and require a more normal shirt for adequate concealment, but still 100% forgettable during an all-day pistol course in 100 degree weather.

I never used to wear armor until I was the primary witness in a multiple felony case (extortion and witness intimidation) against a gang member, where my life was threatened at work and at home for being a witness (hence the witness intimidation felony charge). That's not just some air marshal off duty situation. When that happens to cops, their departments will often relocate them for many months witness-protection style (I know a local cop who spent 6 months relocated across the state on the dept dime in this exact situation). But who does that for a civilian? No one. I have to rely on myself.

So... I wore my 11 x 14 plates all the time in public, and was surprised that I never noticed that I was wearing it, even on long walks in the Summer with the family and dog. So I just didn't stop. No one's ever made good on the threat so far, but I wouldn't care if a person shooting at me knew who I was or not.

You're welcome to disagree with me about YOUR armor's performance, or generic armor as you understand it. But it's too far to say that - as an analogy - because your car sucks on a hot day, therefore all cars suck on a hot day, therefore my car (which does not suck on a hot day) must suck on a hot day.

I've talked to cops who absolutely hate their armor. I'm sincerely sorry for them that their dept issued gear sucks. If you / they dislike that your gear performs poorly in heat / is inherently uncomfortable / can't be concealed well, and if your threats are less at certain times, then you may think the cost is greater than the benefit. Cost > Benefit = you don't do it. That's why I don't carry or wear armor in the home. I've never once regretted wearing concealable armor in public, and like my concealed pistol that I've also never had to use, I've been in some potentially sketchy situations where I was glad I had them.

And yes, since you asked, I have a 3M ballistic helmet next to the groin + deltoid + torso + neck armor next to the suppressed DD SBR and its spare mags + Peltors under my bed. With eyes closed can go from lying in bed to fully kitted in ~18 seconds. Sleepy will take longer, but our house is Fort Knox-worthy hard to break in to at all entry points (fireman axe being an intentional exception, though even that's harder than they would be used to). With the 1,000 lumen flashlight that I point at the bedroom door which I'm across the room from, so if you enter you're blinded and at best spraying at a torch that's nowhere near where I am shooting from, using a SureFire suppressor that eliminates 1st round flash. Yes I practice that process once per month (up to but not including the shooting part). No I don't think about it the other 29 days of the month.

And I would wear the 3M ultra light weight ballistic helmet outside if it was armageddon or something, as it weighs like 25% of an equivalent ACH helmet. 3M's brilliant engineers make mostly epic stuff. Better gear = you can wear it more.

This is kind of like saying I like vanilla better and you strongly disagreeing that chocolate is objectively better. The OP wanted ideas, so I gave him my personal philosophy and general setup possibilities. Your disagreeing with whether / how exactly my personal gear works is uninformed and incorrect speculation.
    Last edited by Naphtali; 10-01-19 at 22:44.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    As I said, it's all about does your gear work for you. Nothing conceals under a tank top as there is nearly no shoulder material to conceal the vest's shoulder portion, so I'm going to assume you were being sarcastic there. Hard manual labor by profession is not normal civilian weekend activities. So... thanks? But my Point Blank Vision vest without plates conceals well under a regular T shirt and is cool enough on a hot Summer day. 11 x 14 plates in the Propper vests are hotter and require a more normal shirt for adequate concealment, but still 100% forgettable during an all-day pistol course in 100 degree weather.

I never used to wear armor until I was the primary witness in a multiple felony case (extortion and witness intimidation) against a gang member, where my life was threatened at work and at home for being a witness (hence the witness intimidation felony charge). That's not just some air marshal off duty situation. When that happens to cops, their departments will often relocate them for many months witness-protection style (I know a local cop who spent 6 months relocated across the state on the dept dime in this exact situation). But who does that for a civilian? No one. I have to rely on myself.

So... I wore my 11 x 14 plates all the time in public, and was surprised that I never noticed that I was wearing it, even on long walks in the Summer with the family and dog. So I just didn't stop. No one's ever made good on the threat so far, but I wouldn't care if a person shooting at me knew who I was or not.

You're welcome to disagree with me about YOUR armor's performance, or generic armor as you understand it. But it's too far to say that - as an analogy - because your car sucks on a hot day, therefore all cars suck on a hot day, therefore my car (which does not suck on a hot day) must suck on a hot day.

I've talked to cops who absolutely hate their armor. I'm sincerely sorry for them that their dept issued gear sucks. If you / they dislike that your gear performs poorly in heat / is inherently uncomfortable / can't be concealed well, and if your threats are less at certain times, then you may think the cost is greater than the benefit. Cost > Benefit = you don't do it. That's why I don't carry or wear armor in the home. I've never once regretted wearing concealable armor in public, and like my concealed pistol that I've also never had to use, I've been in some potentially sketchy situations where I was glad I had them.

And yes, since you asked, I have a 3M ballistic helmet next to the groin + deltoid + torso + neck armor next to the suppressed DD SBR and its spare mags + Peltors under my bed. With eyes closed can go from lying in bed to fully kitted in ~18 seconds. Sleepy will take longer, but our house is Fort Knox-worthy hard to break in to at all entry points (fireman axe being an intentional exception, though even that's harder than they would be used to). With the 1,000 lumen flashlight that I point at the bedroom door which I'm across the room from, so if you enter you're blinded and at best spraying at a torch that's nowhere near where I am shooting from, using a SureFire suppressor that eliminates 1st round flash. Yes I practice that process once per month (up to but not including the shooting part). No I don't think about it the other 29 days of the month.

And I would wear the 3M ultra light weight ballistic helmet outside if it was armageddon or something, as it weighs like 25% of an equivalent ACH helmet. 3M's brilliant engineers make mostly epic stuff. Better gear = you can wear it more.

This is kind of like saying I like vanilla better and you strongly disagreeing that chocolate is objectively better. The OP wanted ideas, so I gave him my personal philosophy and general setup possibilities. Your disagreeing with whether / how exactly my personal gear works is uninformed and incorrect speculation.
    I’m not disagreeing with your choice. If you wanna wear plates and a helmet all day long outdoors, that’s entirely up to you. What I’m disagreeing with is this statement you made below.

If you carry a gun, you're equally likely to need armor as you are the gun.

I disagree with that statement because it implies that just because you stuffed a Ruger LCP into your pocket to walk the dog down the road, or to get into your car to go through the drive through at McDonald’s at 11pm “, or hiking your favorite trail on a Sunday morning, or ankle carrying at a wedding while wearing a suit, or driving to Florida on vacation, you need armor.

No you do not. You carry just in case but suit up based on your threat level. You aren’t at Threat Level Alpha all the time. It’s one thing to have a credible threat on your life and another when just walking down the road with your dog with no credible threat on your life.

To explain my point a little better, an off duty police officer doesn’t go around strapping body armor on his wife and two kids and himself to go to Walmart. He just takes his gun just in case. Now if there was a credible threat to his life and family, he would make sure they stay home safe and do the shopping by himself wearing his armor and carrying his gun. See the difference.

It isn’t just black or white. There are different threat levels that require different tools. Storming a drug den would require a helmet and armor. Just providing security at the courthouse entrance would not require the helmet but the armor would be required. Going to your son’s bbq in his backyard after leaving the courthouse would not require neither the helmet nor the armor.
    Last edited by Marine Corporal; 10-02-19 at 04:07.

Feedback Score
    I’m not disagreeing with your choice. If you wanna wear plates and a helmet all day long outdoors, that’s entirely up to you. What I’m disagreeing with is this statement you made below.

If you carry a gun, you're equally likely to need armor as you are the gun.

I disagree with that statement because it implies that just because you stuffed a Ruger LCP into your pocket to walk the dog down the road, or to get into your car to go through the drive through at McDonald’s at 11pm “, or hiking your favorite trail on a Sunday morning, or ankle carrying at a wedding while wearing a suit, or driving to Florida on vacation, you need armor.

No you do not. You carry just in case but suit up based on your threat level. You aren’t at Threat Level Alpha all the time. It’s one thing to have a credible threat on your life and another when just walking down the road with your dog with no credible threat on your life.

To explain my point a little better, an off duty police officer doesn’t go around strapping body armor on his wife and two kids and himself to go to Walmart. He just takes his gun just in case. Now if there was a credible threat to his life and family, he would make sure they stay home safe and do the shopping by himself wearing his armor and carrying his gun. See the difference.

It isn’t just black or white. There are different threat levels that require different tools. Storming a drug den would require a helmet and armor. Just providing security at the courthouse entrance would not require the helmet but the armor would be required. Going to your son’s bbq in his backyard after leaving the courthouse would not require neither the helmet nor the armor.
    Then I think we don't actually disagree on the main fact that -- I wouldn't wear armor in low risk situations where the armor is dysfunctional either. The more dysfunctional, the higher the bar.

But:
    1) if your armor isn't dysfunctional - i.e. when you're wearing it it's like you're not wearing it, and
    2) you get in a gunfight, then
    3) It would be dumb not to have worn your armor

Ergo, if you need to fire your gun at a person, then I can't imagine how that could occur where you would say, at the end, "I made the right decision to leave my can't-tell-I-have-it-on-when-I'm-wearing-it armor at home as I'm looking at a couple entry wounds in my torso."

Again, you can say "what are the odds I would need to be wearing armor out running errands", and my response continues to be "the exact same odds of you needing to fire your gun at a deadly threat."

I mean, at the absolute minimum you could be shot in the back by some other "good samaritan" CCW holder or off-duty cop who misses the first 80% of the scenario and thinks that YOU are the bad guy in the shooting.

You're treating armor like it's inherently bulky / heavy / hot, instead of being unnoticeable if it's well-designed enough. It's like you don't believe it's possible to get good armor that fits and feels almost like a compression base layer, all day in the sun in triple digit weather. If you deny that reality, then (a) you're wrong - I own 3 such vests, and (b) of course you're never going to agree that it makes sense to wear your armor whenever you carry a gun.

I would NEVER go to Wal-Mart without my armor on... that place is drug-deal-in-the-parking-lot central. Like 1-2% of the shootings in the city occur there. My wife refuses to even go there any more with all the shootings.

And my wife won't wear armor either, but I'm the one with the gun who is far more likely to be shot at, because I'll be the one shooting the gun. So dressing everyone up in armor who doesn't have a gun makes a lot less sense than the person with the gun.
    Last edited by Naphtali; 10-02-19 at 21:35.

Feedback Score
    Then I think we don't actually disagree on the main fact that -- I wouldn't wear armor in low risk situations where the armor is dysfunctional either. The more dysfunctional, the higher the bar.

But:
    1) if your armor isn't dysfunctional - i.e. when you're wearing it it's like you're not wearing it, and
    2) you get in a gunfight, then
    3) It would be dumb not to have worn your armor

Ergo, if you need to fire your gun at a person, then I can't imagine how that could occur where you would say, at the end, "I made the right decision to leave my can't-tell-I-have-it-on-when-I'm-wearing-it armor at home as I'm looking at a couple entry wounds in my torso."

Again, you can say "what are the odds I would need to be wearing armor out running errands", and my response continues to be "the exact same odds of you needing to fire your gun at a deadly threat."

I mean, at the absolute minimum you could be shot in the back by some other "good samaritan" CCW holder or off-duty cop who misses the first 80% of the scenario and thinks that YOU are the bad guy in the shooting.

You're treating armor like it's inherently bulky / heavy / hot, instead of being unnoticeable if it's well-designed enough. It's like you don't believe it's possible to get good armor that fits and feels almost like a compression base layer, all day in the sun in triple digit weather. If you deny that reality, then (a) you're wrong - I own 3 such vests, and (b) of course you're never going to agree that it makes sense to wear your armor whenever you carry a gun.

I would NEVER go to Wal-Mart without my armor on... that place is drug-deal-in-the-parking-lot central. Like 1-2% of the shootings in the city occur there. My wife refuses to even go there any more with all the shootings.

And my wife won't wear armor either, but I'm the one with the gun who is far more likely to be shot at, because I'll be the one shooting the gun. So dressing everyone up in armor who doesn't have a gun makes a lot less sense than the person with the gun.
    According to your argument, if you needed to fire your pistol, you should have used a rifle because no person would ever say, “Damn. Good thing I had a pistol instead of a rifle or good thing I didn’t have a helmet on or good thing I was alone instead of traveling with a 4 man fire team.”

You realize how ridiculous that sounds? According to your argument, one must wear armor while sleeping because the gun is beside you on the nightstand. Why even wear pistol rated armor? Step up to plates because no person ever said when shot at that they are glad that they had pistol armor instead of plate armor.

Feedback Score
    According to your argument, if you needed to fire your pistol, you should have used a rifle because no person would ever say, “Damn. Good thing I had a pistol instead of a rifle or good thing I didn’t have a helmet on or good thing I was alone instead of traveling with a 4 man fire team.”

You realize how ridiculous that sounds? According to your argument, one must wear armor while sleeping because the gun is beside you on the nightstand. Why even wear pistol rated armor? Step up to plates because no person ever said when shot at that they are glad that they had pistol armor instead of plate armor.

I honestly think you're trolling now, as every sentence in that post was nonsense. As a one-time courtesy, I'll play along and point out why each one is nonsense, as though you truly don't already know. But after that I'm not going to reply to another post like that. So to answer the "sincere questions" you asked..

"According to your argument, if you needed to fire your pistol, you should have used a rifle"
    -- This conversation has been largely about concealability and comfort in normal civilian life in public. You can't run around town open carrying a rifle from store to store without a high risk of being shot by police. In my state, you can be arrested for open carrying any firearm in public, if they plan to argue in court that you were doing so with the intent of terrorizing the public. Neither of those applies to a concealed pistol legally carried with a permit.
    -- If you meant not in public, I already said I keep an SBR under my bed for home defense, so in that case your question makes no sense. So you have to be talking about being in public.

"because no person would ever say, “Damn. Good thing I had a pistol instead of a rifle"
    -- You are correct. No one who understands guns would ever say that. But it is illegal (and difficult) to concealed carry a rifle in public.

"or good thing I didn’t have a helmet on"
    -- Correct. Anyone would rather be wearing a properly fitted lightweight ballistic helmet if you're being shot at. But you can't concealed wear a helmet. If your plan is to carry one in a bag or something, and take it out and put it on it if someone is robbing you, then you're vastly likelier to be harmed than helped by that plan.

"or good thing I was alone instead of traveling with a 4 man fire team"
    -- Correct. Anyone in a gunfight would rather have more guns on their side than the opposition's. I'm not sure what your point is. I do like it better when my wife and I are both concealed carrying vs only I am.

"You realize how ridiculous that sounds?"
    -- Yes. As stated above, I realize how ridiculous you sound.

"According to your argument, one must wear armor while sleeping because the gun is beside you on the nightstand"
    -- No, in fact I stated the opposite, which is that I never wear armor or a gun at home, though both are easily accessible in the event of a home invasion. And that wearing those at home was, in my opinion, more cost than benefit = it doesn't make sense. Perhaps you are confusing the meanings of "no" and "yes".

"Why even wear pistol rated armor? Step up to plates"
    -- I've answered this question at least 3 times, but since you're apparently able to read my posts without actually reading them, here is why (again):

1) It is vastly superior ballistic protection than a soft IIIa panel alone vs. all non-rifle firearms, and virtually all non-firearm weapons
    2) It is far lighter, and I have a somewhat recent back injury that motivates me to limit weight on my torso. Even without an injury, lighter = greater speed and mobility.
    3) It is much thinner and can be concealed under normal hot weather clothing.

and I haven't said this before, but it's a point worth making and was part of my equation...

4) Your likeliest threats in public are pistols by a huge margin, and least likely rifles. You're generally limited to 10x12 in a rifle plate (larger sizes exist but are rare, and due to their thickness you generally cannot fit them in even a large carrier, and in any case their weight is a colossal downside). With pistol plates you can pretty easily fit an 11x14 plate into any Medium or larger vest or carrier, so long as you ask the manufacturer to size the vest 1" longer than "standard." This does not interfere with driving / any seated activity (which would be the primary concern in a longer vest).

a) That's an increase in protected area of 28.33 percent over a 10x12 rifle plate.

b) The organs that gain that additional protection can include:
    - the lateral aspect of both lungs. Survivable (barring an unlucky tension pneumothorax + slow EMS response time) but painful and expensive recovery.
    - the spleen. Survivable, though losing your spleen makes you likelier to die from common infections.
    - the liver. Usually survivable if the hepatic artery is missed.
    - the abdominal aorta and its major branches (renal / splenic / hepatic / mesenteric). You'll die in the ambulance.
    - the inferior vena cava. Better odds than an arterial hit, but still easy to die before and even during surgery.
    - the mid lumbar spine (L3 and L4) = lower extremity paralysis.
    - the small intestine / transverse colon. Potential for an ostomy.

And for any abdominal penetrating trauma, there is real post-operative potential for recurrent abdominal adhesions causing recurrent small bowel obstructions that require intermittent emergency lysis of adhesions surgeries for the rest of your life. Permanent pain is also common.

That's a lot of things I'd rather not have a pistol bullet passing through. A rifle plate doesn't work if you're shot somewhere where it's not.

"no person ever said when shot at that they are glad that they had pistol armor instead of plate armor"
    -- You're probably correct that no one has ever said that. But if I were shot by a pistol or a shotgun in the lateral 1" or the bottom 2" of my pistol plates - meaning it would have missed a 10x12 rifle plate and actually shot me instead - then this is exactly what I would say.

If I know in advance that I'm likely to encounter a rifle-wielding opponent, then I want my rifle plates or nothing. But for 99% of civilian gunfights, 11x14 pistol plates are vastly superior.

Again, I'm being kind of stupid charitable assuming any sincerity at all in your last post, so please understand if I don't respond to another. I don't mind spending time being helpful to people who are interested in the subject matter, or at least giving them food for thought about my perspectives (even if we genuinely disagree), but I'm not going to waste my time on nonsense posts.
    Last edited by Naphtali; 10-04-19 at 17:56.

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Besides these hard plates and soft plates, I wanted to see what opinions are about these trauma plates. I don't know too much about them, but I assume that trauma plates are what goes behind the ballistic plates. They have that D30 "orange squishy stuff". It claims to absorb the force from impacts. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these? What are the real world reviews on them?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhund1918 View Post
    Besides these hard plates and soft plates, I wanted to see what opinions are about these trauma plates. I don't know too much about them, but I assume that trauma plates are what goes behind the ballistic plates. They have that D30 "orange squishy stuff". It claims to absorb the force from impacts. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these? What are the real world reviews on them?

My vests came with these (small 5x8 versions that I have no use for). Think of them like the padding inside a helmet (and not the hard shell). They will increase the surface area over which blunt trauma is distributed somewhat, but since they are soft, this effect is a bit limited. At best they're also IIIa rated, so they can also decrease the penetration of a bullet (as the bullet is trying to deform 2 IIIa panels instead of just 1). They are not rated to protect against penetrating (e.g. knife) trauma, other than even enough T-shirts will eventually impede a knife's penetration to some extent.

So imo they add very little. What little they add is achieved orders of magnitude more effectively with a pistol plate (or rifle plate, but those don't work in vests). I think the downside of your vest getting meaningfully thicker outweighs any of the minor benefits. You can still conceal it, but you have to make sure your shirts have extra room (I wear one shirt size larger with a vest on). So I'd just use the standard front / rear inserts that come with the vest.

If you really want more out of your vest (and it's a lot more), add the largest pistol plate you can, at least in the front. They're almost the same thickness as a trauma panel and are incomparably better. And if you have the option / haven't bought yet, have your vest designed around using an 11x14 pistol plate (which would be slightly too long to fit in most standard vests).

Trauma panels are most useful for prison guards extracting inmates / riot police, where you're not trying to hide your armor, and you're most concerned about hands / feet / objects being thrown at you. Even still, if that were my job, I'd much rather have thin and lightweight hard plates, or at least some hard polymer outer shell.
    Last edited by Naphtali; 10-04-19 at 11:19.

Feedback Score
    I honestly think you're trolling now, as every sentence in that post was nonsense. As a one-time courtesy, I'll play along and point out why each one is nonsense, as though you truly don't already know. But after that I'm not going to reply to another post like that. So to answer the "sincere questions" you asked..

"According to your argument, if you needed to fire your pistol, you should have used a rifle"
    -- This conversation has been largely about concealability and comfort in normal civilian life in public. You can't run around town open carrying a rifle from store to store without a high risk of being shot by police. In my state, you can be arrested for open carrying any firearm in public, if they plan to argue in court that you were doing so with the intent of terrorizing the public. Neither of those applies to a concealed pistol legally carried with a permit.
    -- If you meant not in public, I already said I keep an SBR under my bed for home defense, so in that case your question makes no sense. So you have to be talking about being in public.

"because no person would ever say, “Damn. Good thing I had a pistol instead of a rifle"
    -- You are correct. No one who understands guns would ever say that. But it is illegal (and difficult) to concealed carry a rifle in public.

"or good thing I didn’t have a helmet on"
    -- Correct. Anyone would rather be wearing a properly fitted lightweight ballistic helmet if you're being shot at. But you can't concealed wear a helmet. If your plan is to carry one in a bag or something, and take it out and put it on it if someone is robbing you, then you're vastly likelier to be harmed than helped by that plan.

"or good thing I was alone instead of traveling with a 4 man fire team"
    -- Correct. Anyone in a gunfight would rather have more guns on their side than the opposition's. I'm not sure what your point is. I do like it better when my wife and I are both concealed carrying vs only I am.

"You realize how ridiculous that sounds?"
    -- Yes. As stated above, I realize how ridiculous you sound.

"According to your argument, one must wear armor while sleeping because the gun is beside you on the nightstand"
    -- No, in fact I stated the opposite, which is that I never wear armor or a gun at home, though both are easily accessible in the event of a home invasion. And that wearing those at home was, in my opinion, more cost than benefit = it doesn't make sense. Perhaps you are confusing the meanings of "no" and "yes".

"Why even wear pistol rated armor? Step up to plates"
    -- I've answered this question at least 3 times, but since you're apparently able to read my posts without actually reading them, here is why (again):

1) It is vastly superior ballistic protection than a soft IIIa panel alone vs. all non-rifle firearms, and virtually all non-firearm weapons
    2) It is far lighter, and I have a somewhat recent back injury that motivates me to limit weight on my torso. Even without an injury, lighter = greater speed and mobility.
    3) It is much thinner and can be concealed under normal hot weather clothing.

and I haven't said this before, but it's a point worth making and was part of my equation...

4) Your likeliest threats in public are pistols by a huge margin, and least likely rifles. You're generally limited to 10x12 in a rifle plate (larger sizes exist but are rare, and due to their thickness you generally cannot fit them in even a large carrier, and in any case their weight is a colossal downside). With pistol plates you can pretty easily fit an 11x14 plate into any Medium or larger vest or carrier, so long as you ask the manufacturer to size the vest 1" longer than "standard." This does not interfere with driving / any seated activity (which would be the primary concern in a longer vest).

a) That's an increase in protected area of 28.33 percent over a 10x12 rifle plate.

b) The organs that gain that additional protection can include:
    - the lateral aspect of both lungs. Survivable (barring an unlucky tension pneumothorax + slow EMS response time) but painful and expensive recovery.
    - the spleen. Survivable, though losing your spleen makes you likelier to die from common infections.
    - the liver. Usually survivable if the hepatic artery is missed.
    - the abdominal aorta and its major branches (renal / splenic / hepatic / mesenteric). You'll die in the ambulance.
    - the inferior vena cava. Better odds than an arterial hit, but still easy to die before and even during surgery.
    - the mid lumbar spine (L3 and L4) = lower extremity paralysis.
    - the small intestine / transverse colon. Potential for an ostomy.

And for any abdominal penetrating trauma, there is real post-operative potential for recurrent abdominal adhesions causing recurrent small bowel obstructions that require intermittent emergency lysis of adhesions surgeries for the rest of your life. Permanent pain is also common.

That's a lot of things I'd rather not have a pistol bullet passing through. A rifle plate doesn't work if you're shot somewhere where it's not.

"no person ever said when shot at that they are glad that they had pistol armor instead of plate armor"
    -- You're probably correct that no one has ever said that. But if I were shot by a pistol or a shotgun in the lateral 1" or the bottom 2" of my pistol plates - meaning it would have missed a 10x12 rifle plate and actually shot me instead - then this is exactly what I would say.

If I know in advance that I'm likely to encounter a rifle-wielding opponent, then I want my rifle plates or nothing. But for 99% of civilian gunfights, 11x14 pistol plates are vastly superior.

Again, I'm being kind of stupid charitable assuming any sincerity at all in your last post, so please understand if I don't respond to another. I don't mind spending time being helpful to people who are interested in the subject matter, or at least giving them food for thought about my perspectives (even if we genuinely disagree), but I'm not going to waste my time on nonsense posts.
    No. I’m not trolling. People always seem to say that when there are disagreements. What I’m doing is disputing your statement that if you carry, you should wear armor at all times. Not all situations warrant that. I’ve given you examples of what situations where it doesn’t and explained to you that everything is about compromise. How is that trolling?

People compromise with a .380 when a 9mm is too big. People compromise with a single stack 7 rd 9mm when an 18 round 9mm is too big. People compromise with pistol armor when plate armor is too much. People compromise with no armor when any armor is too much. But you don’t want to hear that. What you say is correct despite the millions of people who disagree with you everyday by not wearing armo when carrying concealed and certain spec ops who also do not wear armor depending on the mission.

You are like the person who insists that you should never carry a pocket pistol because you can carry a full size with a little more effort by wearing extra clothes.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I carry a pocket pistol literally everywhere. No way in hell I’d wear armor every day.

In public?

In America?

Come on guys. To whoever sleeps with an IOTV with groin protector next to the bed:

THANKS FOR THE HEARTY CHUCKLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm in the same boat. Whenever the government tells me I don't need something, I normally take that to mean I need lots of it.

So when good old Chuck started gunning for armor, I said to myself, Well, shit, even if I don't need it for anything I can probably still sell it for a huge profit in a few years after it's banned.

I got new old stock Ceradyne SAPI plates off Ebay for right at 200, then some brand new MSAP plates from Arfcom for 200, as well. Found some very serviceable Safariland MBAV backers from a guy on Ebay for a fraction of what they cost new.

I did a fair amount of research, and you really can't beat SAPI plates for the price. They're actually quite light, even with backers, for how well they protect. They won't stop AP 30 cal like ESAPI plates, at least not reliably, but they will take a real beating. That tougher ceramic that the ESAPIs are made from is quite a bit heavier and thicker, not to mention more expensive and harder to come by. For those reasons, I think SAPI plates are the pinnacle of body armor right now. There's some stuff that's lighter, flexible, etc., but it has drawbacks besides the insane cost, like not being able to stop M855. Some of it is more or less glorified heavy, expensive IIIA hard plates.

Another advantage of going with milspec armor is that all the good carriers are made for it. If you have either medium or large SAPI plates, pretty much all the premium carriers are going to have an option that will fit like a glove and leave room for backers. The MBAV option is particularly attractive because there are a ton of surplus Eagle MBAV carriers for next to nothing. And of course they'll slip right into any of the OTVs.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast