Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ejection Routes Inconsistent

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Dude, I'm betting it's too much gas. Do these three things after cleaning and relubing:
    1. Use good mags, and toss the Crapco mags in the trash
    2. Get an H2 carbine buffer
    3. A Sprinco "white hot" or "blue" action spring.

Feedback Score
    Good pictures, thanks. So, here's what I see. First, you have quite a bit of goop built up. Is that the magic grease? I'd be cleaning that out. Again, we're trying to narrow this down. A sluggish action is detrimental to normal operation. At cyclic rate, dirty grease can slow bolt speed considerably. Second, in the first pic, the left feed ramp looks to have a slight gap between the upper and the barrel extension. It's hard to tell but if there is a slight lip there it will catch the tip of the bullet. Take a safety pin (or something similar) and see if you can get it to catch on that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Dude, I'm betting it's too much gas. Do these three things after cleaning and relubing:
    1. Use good mags, and toss the Crapco mags in the trash
    2. Get an H2 carbine buffer
    3. A Sprinco "white hot" or "blue" action spring.
    That sounds like a very low cost thing to try but are not all shorty 5.56 with suppressors overgassed? Best source for "white hot" and 'blue"? What I might do is figure out what a "Crapco" mag looks like or maybe do the test with the 10 shot mag that came with the P516 pistol in the box. Like I said I have 3 Palmetto State Armory metal mags which I think I've never used (loaded w/IMI M193 55gr BT) and a dozen plus Pmags of Gen 2 & 3 and the one Tapco. Clearly landing at 1:00 is signs of being over gassed and it has never happened using Hornady 75gr TAP SBR which lands 4:30-5:00 and way out there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does it consistently lock back on empty mags? Sorry if I've forgotten that you've already done a lock back test.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Does it consistently lock back on empty mags? Sorry if I've forgotten that you've already done a lock back test.
    It has never failed to lock back on an empty mag.

It currently has an H buffer and the spring when measured meets the required length within 1/8". I was looking at the Super 42 Braided Wire Buffer Spring and Buffer Combo, H2 at the Geissele but have not received an answer to my inquiry. According to them, I need an H3 buffer. Surely a bit expensive but sounds good. Still reading all the diatribes over at Sprinco.

Feedback Score
    You could throw money at the problem and see if it goes away. It's true that suppressed shorties can be very overgassed and temperamental. I actually do think there is more at play than high bolt velocity potentially outrunning your magazine. I've never seen bent cartridges as a result of an overgassed/underbuffered action.

You should contact Sig for next steps. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    OK, you have good ammo and plunking ammo. The good ammo works fine but sometimes the plunking ammo fails, right? Why not expand the ammo range and get some 20 packs of other brands of plunking ammo? If they all fail then move to a H buffer and a blue Sprinco spring. One step at a time. The grease was not in the lugs was it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    OK, you have good ammo and plunking ammo. The good ammo works fine but sometimes the plunking ammo fails, right? Why not expand the ammo range and get some 20 packs of other brands of plunking ammo? If they all fail then move to a H buffer and a blue Sprinco spring. One step at a time. The grease was not in the lugs was it?
    At one point I did have grease, a lot of it, on the lugs. I was trying to fix the issue and was following the guidelines at https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/7-548967/

Since then I've cleaned out all remnants of lug grease. I will run some ammo through later today. As kind of a side note on other brands, I've fired a huge bunch of various brands of .223 ammo recently trying to nail down the problem. And though I've mixed many brands and bullet weights from 40gr to 77gr, I've only fired 5 rounds of each because of cost. I've not experienced any jams or failures to lock bolt with any of the .223 ammo. Most of it ejects around 1:30-3:00 but again my documentation has been somewhat lacking with .223 ammo. I'm going to try to take some video of the action which should be interesting.

I'm convinced that my HD ammo will still be the Hornady 75gr TAP SBR due to its lack of fails, I'm still looking for the best low cost, reliable practice ammo with zero fails when at the range. Don't get me wrong. If I get a 1% or less fails when plinking, it will not be life threatening, so no big deal. I'm just trying to iron out what is going on and am gaining knowledge and experience as I go. Do appreciate all the help here on the M4carbine forum.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
    At one point I did have grease, a lot of it, on the lugs. I was trying to fix the issue and was following the guidelines at https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/7-548967/

Since then I've cleaned out all remnants of lug grease. I will run some ammo through later today. As kind of a side note on other brands, I've fired a huge bunch of various brands of .223 ammo recently trying to nail down the problem. And though I've mixed many brands and bullet weights from 40gr to 77gr, I've only fired 5 rounds of each because of cost. I've not experienced any jams or failures to lock bolt with any of the .223 ammo. Most of it ejects around 1:30-3:00 but again my documentation has been somewhat lacking with .223 ammo. I'm going to try to take some video of the action which should be interesting.

I'm convinced that my HD ammo will still be the Hornady 75gr TAP SBR due to its lack of fails, I'm still looking for the best low cost, reliable practice ammo with zero fails when at the range.

If you are wanting 75gr here are some options:

Brass cased rounds on https://ammoseek.com/ammo/223-reming...ifle-75grains-

$345.92 per 1,000/34.6 per round https://carolinamunitions.com/ppu-pp...00-rounds.html * (I've had nothing but good results with this load from PP)

6.58 per 20/32.9 per round https://www.foundryoutdoors.com/prod...12191231934548

$6.94 per 20/34.7 per round https://www.classicfirearms.com/fede...gton-556-nato/

$7.22 per 20/36.1 per round https://carolinamunitions.com/ppu-pp...20-rounds.html (savings of 1.5 cents per round buying by case - see above)

For 55gr practice rounds, give these guys a try: https://www.ammoandmorestore.com/form These are their parts numbers:

R22355VP500 - 223 REM 55gr FMJReload - $135.00 per 500/$270.00 per 1000 **

N22355VP1000 - 223 REM 55gr FMJ - $300.00 per 1000

** When I buy bulk .223 I don't even shop around, I get this load. It shots so good I've sent the company pictures of solid groups of splatters in the center of 2/3 IPSC plates shot at 200. I've dealt with the guy who owns/runs the plant for about 20 years. Shot/seen shot several million rounds of his ammo. He makes quality stuff. (I may or may not get a favor from him now and then )
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 09-05-19 at 15:46.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I do use ammoseek often to price out ammo. What I think I was trying to convey is that I did not want to plink with the HD rds (Hornady 75gr TAP SBR) that really shoots good (1" groups @ 100 yds) using the Sig in the pix. I do know that IT runs well. For what reason I do not know. And just to confirm, it's just pi***** me off that all the practice ammo I've used over the last couple of years has not done good in the off the shelf P516 10" with their new SRD556 suppressor. I will get to the bottom of this issue thanks to the help of several here on M4 forum. My Sprinco Blue and H2 buffer will arrive today from Primary Arms but not in time to run some brass through it. Tomorrow doesn't look good either due to a list of Honey-doos. What fun!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast