Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ejection Routes Inconsistent

Feedback Score
    Okay. Extractor spring and insert ordered. https://www.primaryarms.com/sprinco-...ng-upgrade-kit

I'm having some conversations with William Saunders over at Sig but plan on doing a bit more to try to solve this at home. If the new extractor spring, etc does not fix, I might try an H3 buffer. Not a lot to loose and my son can always use in one of his builds. It continues to lock back on empty mag no matter what ammo I use (light .223 up to 75gr NATO). Also, it always picks a round out of the mag and attempts to get it in the chamber but has the hardest time with the Israeli 55gr FMJ BT M193. I have a lot of ammo that looks exacty like the bent rounds in the pix. A lot! I'm fairly convinced that it is an over gassing problem but have no idea how to solve that because it is on the smallest (suppressed) setting now.

Feedback Score
    A decent way of knowing if the system is grossly over-gassed is to run it without the can on the suppressed setting. With the extractor spring replaced, it would be worth knowing if the cases are ejecting forward. I don't know which version you have, but I believe Sig has three gas block iterations that address similar issues.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    A decent way of knowing if the system is grossly over-gassed is to run it without the can on the suppressed setting. With the extractor spring replaced, it would be worth knowing if the cases are ejecting forward. I don't know which version you have, but I believe Sig has three gas block iterations that address similar issues.
    Mine is 2nd gen. There was some confusion in the 1st printing on which way to turn the adjustment knob.

We will have heavy rain here for the next 3 days or so. It may be a bit b4 I'll get to test it again.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
    Okay. Extractor spring and insert ordered. https://www.primaryarms.com/sprinco-...ng-upgrade-kit

I'm having some conversations with William Saunders over at Sig but plan on doing a bit more to try to solve this at home. If the new extractor spring, etc does not fix, I might try an H3 buffer. Not a lot to loose and my son can always use in one of his builds. It continues to lock back on empty mag no matter what ammo I use (light .223 up to 75gr NATO). Also, it always picks a round out of the mag and attempts to get it in the chamber but has the hardest time with the Israeli 55gr FMJ BT M193. I have a lot of ammo that looks exacty like the bent rounds in the pix. A lot! I'm fairly convinced that it is an over gassing problem but have no idea how to solve that because it is on the smallest (suppressed) setting now.
    Your Sig may be over-gassed but that's not what's causing the damage to your ammo. Over-gassing places more stress on the extractor. If the extractor spring is marginal, the over-gassing will cause the extractor to lose grip on the rim more often. A correct extractor spring will still work even when the AR is over-gassed.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Just got another reply from Sig. The rifle (pistol) would need to be returned with all aftermarket products removed. This makes it more interesting that I learn what to do to get it working reliably. So I would need to put it back the way it was prior to adding the suppressor, although he did say if needed, the suppressor could be sent also. It is their suppressor, after all. This just sounds like some big company drivel. And I'm not sure how being over gassed would be caused by the trigger or buffer tube. Anyway, I'm sure if I cannot figure it out and if absolutely necessary, I'll put it back like it was on day one and put it back in their hands. Just not my plan right now.

To quote Sigs email.....

"If we bring it in, we cannot work on it or fire it with aftermarket products installed; to include the AO, trigger, the after market springs and buffer tube. There are too many aftermarket products out there for Sig to be able to test for; additionally should any of these items be lost, damaged or destroyed we have no means to replace them."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a feeling that the extractor spring and insert is going to solve the problem. Also make sure you test lockback on the suppressed setting without the can as has been suggested.

Thanks for keeping us updated.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Got the new extractor spring and insert in. I did notice that the spring appears slightly tapered but the insert would fit in either end. The smaller end fit into the extractor easily while trying to insert the larger end was almost impossible so I choose the small end with the larger end against the bolt.

I took the recommendation to check the pattern without the suppressor but on the suppressed setting. No joy. Would not even bring back the bolt so no hull ejection. Reset the gas block to normal and three shots went to about 2:00 and the bolt locked back. This is as I would expect.
    Then tried it suppressed on suppressed setting. 3 rounds mostly at 2:00-3:00. Then did 4 somewhat quickly. See inconsistent pattern in drawing. Bolt locked back. I'll need range time to see if the stronger spring stops stove piping and bolt not closing intermittently.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The large end of the spring goes into the extractor cavity. They can be a PITA sometimes.

Feedback Score
    WILL THIS DAMAGE THE RIFLE? So I think I may have come up with a working combination of tricks with the help of many here. I went ahead and changed the buffer to an H3, inspected and cleaned (although it was not dirty) piston & gas block. Fired many combinations of ammo and magazines. Even a lot of .223 (low pressure hunting & match ammo) and once again, the Hornady 75gr TAP SBR worked the best with ejections @4:30 and cleared a 10rd mag with no fails. All of the other ammo had 1/5 jams (fail to chamber) and bent unfired rounds that had to be pushed out of the chamber from the suppressor end. So I thought one last step - open the gas block to normal. I then ran a full 30 rd mag of AE LC XM193 55gr FMJBT through (ejection 1:30-2:00). No FUBAR feeds but the majority of hulls rolled off the deck at 1:30 (far left in the image) so you can't see them. The only hiccup was that I got faster near the end and was machine gunning it. Last round chambered b4 the empty got out - see pix. Also added a pix of the really messed up ejection pattern when using on suppressed setting.

What I'm asking is will running on normal setting while suppressed do damage?

Last edited by masterdrago; 09-22-19 at 15:44.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
    WILL THIS DAMAGE THE RIFLE? So I think I may have come up with a working combination of tricks with the help of many here. I went ahead and changed the buffer to an H3, inspected and cleaned (although it was not dirty) piston & gas block. Fired many combinations of ammo and magazines. Even a lot of .223 (low pressure hunting & match ammo) and once again, the Hornady 75gr TAP SBR worked the best with ejections @4:30 and cleared a 10rd mag with no fails. All of the other ammo had 1/5 jams (fail to chamber) and bent unfired rounds that had to be pushed out of the chamber from the suppressor end. So I thought one last step - open the gas block to normal. I then ran a full 30 rd mag of AE LC XM193 55gr FMJBT through (ejection 1:30-2:00). No FUBAR feeds but the majority of hulls rolled off the deck at 1:30 (far left in the image) so you can't see them. The only hiccup was that I got faster near the end and was machine gunning it. Last round chambered b4 the empty got out - see pix. Also added a pix of the really messed up ejection pattern when using on suppressed setting.

What I'm asking is will running on normal setting while suppressed do damage?

You could just be covering up the symptoms of a bad extractor.
    Have you replaced it?

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast