Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: MOS mounting reliability

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWH24 View Post
    Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics is an Agency Arms supported shooter. He recently set up a Glock with the MOS.
    He too now is a C&H proponent over the mim plate from Glock. He mentioned nothing about AA doing any milling to the MOS slides.
    My G19.5 MOS slide is my first MOS slide. I can switch between my 19, 19x, and 45.
    C&H also says you don't need the sealing plate with their RMR plate.
    Price difference for a G17.5 basic and a G17.5 MOS basic is 79 bucks. $65.00 for the C&H plate & $$ Sights
    Universal cut for RMR @ateiguns is $80.00 plus optional sights, refinish and rear sight dovetail options.
    I concur with a lot of that.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfbpt View Post
    The Glock plate is mim steel and beside the bosses lacks the front and rear support of a milled pocket. The C&H plate is aluminum but does have front and rear support. My problem is with the material C&H uses. With a violently reciprocating slide how long do you trust the C&H plate secured to the alloy plate. I also question their claim of agencies using their plates. From what I understand the stock mos is all that is approved by most agencies and very few will even ok a slide to be properly milled let alone install an aluminum plate. If C&H would manufacturer their plate out of steel I truly believe they would have a bad ass product and I would grab one in a heart beat it’s the aluminum that is the deal breaker for me.
    Sample size of 1, I installed the C&H mount to my G45 MOS today, I meant to let it sit upright in the safe overnight since I did use blue loctite (directions gave some instructions about nail polish, but who has that handy?) & torqued everything to spec. Anyway, my gun fell out of my safe unto a tile floor and after looking through the sight the dot moved over significantly on me, losing its (rough) zero. Needless to say, I do not trust the mount at this point. YMMV, I think I’m going to just have agency arms cut this gun properly. I think I will either just have slides milled for the RMR in the future and/or just build a Glockish pistol from the ground up with a Polymer 80 frame and brownells slide already cut for THE RMR.

Feedback Score
    How many times do you guys running a C&H plate think you will be able to change out your battery’s with out the threads in the 6061 aluminum plate failing?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    Sample size of 1, I installed the C&H mount to my G45 MOS today, I meant to let it sit upright in the safe overnight since I did use blue loctite (directions gave some instructions about nail polish, but who has that handy?) & torqued everything to spec. Anyway, my gun fell out of my safe unto a tile floor and after looking through the sight the dot moved over significantly on me, losing its (rough) zero. Needless to say, I do not trust the mount at this point. YMMV, I think I’m going to just have agency arms cut this gun properly. I think I will either just have slides milled for the RMR in the future and/or just build a Glockish pistol from the ground up with a Polymer 80 frame and brownells slide already cut for THE RMR.
    You blame the C&H pate for landing on a tile floor? Surprised the RMR is still working properly. I believe a slide milled for the same optic may have lost ZERO the same. Blame gun on your negligence or accidental placing the pistol in a unsecure position?
    Last edited by RWH24; 09-16-19 at 00:34.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWH24 View Post
    You blame the C&H pate for landing on a tile floor? Surprised the RMR is still working properly. I believe a slide milled for the same optic may have lost ZERO the same. Blame gun on your negligence or accidental placing the pistol in a unsecure position?
    I’m glad the pistol dropped, I wouldn’t trust it with an optic mounted as currently configured.

https://youtu.be/-6qCSQH4mwg

You could watch the entire review, this gun was intentionally dropped unto concrete from higher than mine was at around 8:12, still held zero. Most of us are also not intentionally doing torture tests of our gear, someone has an experience like I had I think it’s important to post. If you think it’s no big deal that a Glock MOS with C&H plate & RMR would lose zero after a rather minor fall, then my post isn’t for you.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I feel like this thread is now on the express train to Nowhere Productive-ville.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    I feel like this thread is now on the express train to Nowhere Productive-ville.

I apologize for getting off track
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    Boy, I had a rifle drop off the arm of a couch one time. It busted the knob off an Aimpoint. Should I not trust Aimpoints?

How did you roughly zero the pistol? How much was significantly? Did you ensure the rear sight didn't drift from the impact? Where did it hit? Did you remove the screws to see if the screws were bent?

I wouldn't put distrust in a product (that IMO enhances the MOS for my uses) because of my bone head mistake.

I had the same reaction when I broke an Aimpoint, but soon realized it was a combination of negligence and murphy.

How many times do you guys running a C&H plate think you will be able to change out your battery’s with out the threads in the 6061 aluminum plate failing?

Another good point. If the threads strip I'm not out a slide. Just a plate.

In any case time will tell, but I'd imagine just as well, if not better, as people that change mounts frequently on their Aimpoint micros.

I never understood how people were stripping out threads.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The bigger issue is not the battery exchange, it is the threads stripping with use. I am aware of multiple cases of that with different aluminum plates from different manufacturers and under different circumstances. A buddy stripped the threads on a CZ aluminum plate just mounting the optic. Another shooting mate had optic fly off the Springer plate during a match. Personally I would only use aluminum adapter plate if there were absolutely no other options.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    The bigger issue is not the battery exchange, it is the threads stripping with use. I am aware of multiple cases of that with different aluminum plates from different manufacturers and under different circumstances. A buddy stripped the threads on a CZ aluminum plate just mounting the optic. Another shooting mate had optic fly off the Springer plate during a match. Personally I would only use aluminum adapter plate if there were absolutely no other options.
    There are some variables unkown here.

Thread size? Recoil Lugs (how many, and size)? How many threads do the threads engage on those plates?

I've got over 600rds on mine now and will soon put it through a 800rd 2 day class towards the end of September.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast