Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: School Me On Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 .45 Pistols

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

School Me On Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 .45 Pistols

Everything on the search seems to be for the older 1.0 models from years ago, and 10 pages back here has yielded no results so...
    For people that own or knowledgeable about the new 2.0 .45 cal models I have some questions about size and performance (that's what she said);

Performance, IIRC, the old 1.0 was considered a pretty great .45 polymer option. How does the 2.0 stack up? Accuracy issues? Reliability? Ammo compatibility/feeding issues? Shootability/control/handling with .45 in a light polymer gun like the M&P?

How's the the trigger VS the old 1.0 ; workable or am I going to have to immediately buy a DCAEK? What would the current 2.0 trigger be comparable to- better or worse than a Glock?
    I really hated the old 1.0 triggers, and an Apex kit was mandatory, so curious how much they've been "fixed" on the 2.0 model.

Fullsize Vs Compact- I feel like I'm missing something here...
    On all the retail sites and Smith's web page they say it's a whole 1/2" difference in barrel length? Da fuq? So how does the grip length play out? I see they BOTH state 10 rd mags, and I only see 1 10-rd .45 mag option on Smith's site, so...
    Does the mag on the Compact .45 protrude a bit below the grip?
    Do I need one of those stupid spacers for it to work right?
    If so, why the hell would I buy the compact, since the grip OAL with mag will be the same anyway?
    I genuinely don't understand this... Anyone have a side-by side picture of the grips?

Reason for interest- always wanted a .45 cal gun, the M&P .45 seemed to get good reviews in past for performance, and anti-ban insurance, since it's a 10-rd option, and I may not be in a "free" state forever.... and also Wilson Combat 1911's are 3-4K so, my dreams have been crushed there...
    My second wish-list .45 is the FNX, but for $7-1200, I feel like the M&P might be the better buy, even if I have to eventually get an Apex kit...But I know nothing about the 2.0 guns...
    Last edited by Jellybean; 09-02-19 at 13:30.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    I just have the 1.0. Two of them actually even with the standard crappy trigger the guns are super accurate and 100 percent reliable. I have handled the 2.0 version and I do like it, I have a 2.0 compact in 9mm that gun is a great shooter. I think you would enjoy the 2.0 in 45acp. Something to consider is you can get a barely used 1.0 cheap, apex trigger and 10-8 sights really changes the pistol and you will have the same cash outlay. I do like the stippling on the 2.0s but if you carry inwb have an undergarment they will rub you raw in no time flat.

Feedback Score
    I've got an older mid sized 1.0 45 and had to Apex the thing to get a decent trigger but once I did, it's one of my favorite pistols. A buddy wanted to try mine before he bought a new one. He loved it and bought the 2.0 Compact, I shot it and it'll probably be as good a pistol out of the box as mine is with the Apex kit and trigger.

Trigger is gritty during take up but is smoothing itself out. He could've polished the striker block but wants to see how it does on it's own. Break is very good.

Sights shot low for both of us, S&W is sending him a shorter front sight.

Grip texture is great, (I have 2 2.0 C's in 9MM and it makes a huge difference) although if carried against bare skin, a little 600 grit sand paper is your friend.

The Compact has a 1/4" shorter barrel than my mid sized gun and they both are the smoothest shooting 45's we've shot. Accuracy is good.

Reliability, mine has never had a malfunction, his hasn't either but only 250-300 rounds through it so far.

They both have the same grip and take the same mags. The C is just a shorter barrel. The only thing I like about mine better is the forward slide serrations but not all of them came with them. I'd buy the 2.0 C in a heart beat if I didn't already have mine and in fact have been real tempted to pick one up anyway.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
    They both have the same grip and take the same mags. The C is just a shorter barrel. The only thing I like about mine better is the forward slide serrations but not all of them came with them. I'd buy the 2.0 C in a heart beat if I didn't already have mine and in fact have been real tempted to pick one up anyway.

I've seen DSully's 9mm FS/C comparison pic (in pic thread) and there's a slight but clear difference in grip length and mag size.
    So, what you're saying is the 9mm has slightly different grip lengths, but the .45 does not?
    Do you know if the .45 cal 2.0's grip length tends more toward the 9mm fullsize or compact length?

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Everything on the search seems to be for the older 1.0 models from years ago, and 10 pages back here has yielded no results so...
    For people that own or knowledgeable about the new 2.0 .45 cal models I have some questions about size and performance (that's what she said);

Performance, IIRC, the old 1.0 was considered a pretty great .45 polymer option. How does the 2.0 stack up? Accuracy issues? Reliability? Ammo compatibility/feeding issues? Shootability/control/handling with .45 in a light polymer gun like the M&P?

How's the the trigger VS the old 1.0 ; workable or am I going to have to immediately buy a DCAEK? What would the current 2.0 trigger be comparable to- better or worse than a Glock?
    I really hated the old 1.0 triggers, and an Apex kit was mandatory, so curious how much they've been "fixed" on the 2.0 model.
    I got this from Police One:

The M&P 2.0 frame in .45 ACP is slightly larger in some dimensions, and may not work in some older holsters. It's important to note that the ejection port dimensions on the 2.0 have changed, so Safariland ALS holsters designed for the older gun may not retain the new gun properly.

I don't have a .45 but I do have a 5in 2.0 in 9mm. I also have the 'gen 1' M&P9 as well as a Shield.

I love the trigger on the 2.0 comparitive to the original, pretty sure the 2.0 .45 has same refinements.

My major complaint with the pistol is the slide release. As you probably know S&W engineered the 2.0 to eliminate the 'auto-forward' feature on sharp magazine insertion. I don't mind that at all because I get tired of seeing new shooters beat the magazine floorplate like they are driving out demons when their pistol didn't auto-forward as expected. My complaint is that for me, as a lefty, I couldn't quickly and reliably let the slide go forward using the release, over-handing the slide and crisply releasing worked fine, though. I modified it it using internet lore and it works fine now.

That's my nugget.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Yes the 9MMC has a shorter frame and magazine but the 45C has a full size frame and uses the standard 10 round magazines.

Feedback Score
    "Jan Mladek, General Manager for Smith & Wesson® and M&P® brands, said, “The M&P45 pistol has been a popular choice for years with both law enforcement professionals and civilians looking for a .45 Auto pistol. With that in mind, we expanded the next-generation M2.0 platform to now include the M&P45 M2.0 Compact pistol with a shorter, 4” barrel and a full-size frame.”

Quoted from here https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/sm...now-in-45-acp/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The .45 version carries 10+1. The 9mm version carries 17+1.

The .45 kicks harder than 9mm.

The .45 ammo costs more than 9mm.

The .45 round does the same thing as the 9mm round. No more.

So: for less capacity, more recoil, and higher ammo costs, you get zero benefit over the 9mm.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    The .45 version carries [doesn't do anything better than the 9mm]
    Yes, I'm aware I'm not gaining much if anything here, but this is still sort of America... It's not written in stone that I have to buy one tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I got this from Police One:

The M&P 2.0 frame in .45 ACP is slightly larger in some dimensions, and may not work in some older holsters. It's important to note that the ejection port dimensions on the 2.0 have changed, so Safariland ALS holsters designed for the older gun may not retain the new gun properly.
    ...My major complaint with the pistol is the slide release...
    The ALS issues might be a bit of a bummer, but the slide release won't be an issue- I generally just hamfist the slide too.
    To many missed slide release activations courtesy of Glock's anemic release button.

Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
    Yes the 9MMC has a shorter frame and magazine but the 45C has a full size frame and uses the standard 10 round magazines...
    "Jan Mladek, General Manager for Smith & Wesson® and M&P® brands, said....,
    Huh. A 1/4" shorter barrel and same size frame... what an odd business decision...
    Well, at least it doesn't seem to matter which you pick...

Feedback Score
    I've got 4 9MM's, a 44 magnum, 2 38's, 3 357 magnums and 2 45's. I promise there is a difference.... Phil Shoemaker (sp?) killed a grizzly with a 9mm but said himself, he was wishing he had a bigger gun the whole time. I shoot thousands of 9mm rounds a year and love it, it's what I carry and what I compete with 99% of the time but I still love the 45 and will always have one around.

The full size 45 now has a 4.6" barrel vs the Compact's 4", it looks better to me (the Compact) and shoots well. But I also fell for the G45 with it's short barrel and full size frame.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast