Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: School Me On Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 .45 Pistols

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Survival View Post
    I have a question for you, have we even seen "experts" wrong before? Choose your caliber wisely especially if your life is on the line. If I have my druthers is will be a rifle ;-)
    99% of anything good or bad said about.45 is fuddlore. I just liked it because it was the first caliber I was issued and went all in. As I have matured and as 9mm has improved; I will sooner use a 9mm.

If I carry a revolver, I will opt more for a .38 LSWCHP +P over a .357.

Really anything that will get to the heart will do.
    I like the .45s I have to include a 1911, but doubt that I will get any more.

That said, I actively hunt with a Delta Elite and eventually want a 4” 610

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    I have carried the M&P45 gen 1 on duty for years and loved it. I switched departments and now have to use the crappy Sig P227, but I'm trying to get them to switch to the M&P. Hopefully.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    99% of anything good or bad said about.45 is fuddlore. I just liked it because it was the first caliber I was issued and went all in. As I have matured and as 9mm has improved; I will sooner use a 9mm.

If I carry a revolver, I will opt more for a .38 LSWCHP +P over a .357.

Really anything that will get to the heart will do.
    I like the .45s I have to include a 1911, but doubt that I will get any more.

That said, I actively hunt with a Delta Elite and eventually want a 4” 610
    I got a couple of boxes from a FBI agent way back when I still had to carry a revolver for duty. After comparing them to 357 Mag 125 gr SJHP Remingtons, There was no decision.
    I too carried the 38spec LSWCHP +P. I had some S&W ammo that was LSWCHP and NYCLAD coated, blue poly coating.
    WHen we could finally get away from 38 special ammo I carried a S&W 4" Mod 29. 44 Special LSWCHP in the cylinder, 1 speed loader and 1, 44 mag 200gr SJHP Rem. All speed loaders are Safariland brand. Being Smaller town with rural close, we had deer get hit on the highway and sometimes had to put a 4 legged animal down. The 44 spec worked great.

The old dudes that swear by the 45acp over anything, started their love and devotion when there was not much for 9mm, 38 Super or the Wildcats. 9mm is what I carry all day, every day. Fun days at the Range, I'll break out my G21 45acp to make LOUD CLANGS.
    There maybe a G20 10mm in my future too
    Last edited by RWH24; 09-24-19 at 00:30.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    I have carried the M&P45 gen 1 on duty for years and loved it. I switched departments and now have to use the crappy Sig P227, but I'm trying to get them to switch to the M&P. Hopefully.
    I really haven't had much experience with the 227, but it didn't seem much larger grip wise than the 220. I really like shooting the 220, what is it about the 227 you dislike so much, the DA/SA pull?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    double post
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    OP responding to some of your Q's, but not all since I don't have the M&P .45 M2.0.

Had a Gen 1, it was the most accurate polymer pistol I've owned. Although my M2.0 9mm is close. It was also reliable over high round counts, even using cheap training ammo like WWB and using the standard 10rd mags (the 14rd, not as reliable). Did hear of occasional issues with the OEM 10rd mags and feeding reliability with some users; you could find more about that on the MP-pistol forum, or ping "Sensei" was a member here, he ran into that and may be still active on pistol-forum. The Gen 1's were solid enough that my local PD adopted them after testing several pistol platforms (not quite sure why they went .45 over 9mm, but that's a side issue). In general, my thoughts on the M&P .45 were that it was probably tied with the H&K USP for my favorite polymer .45, except it needed the Apex DCAEK to improve the trigger. In the end I sold mine off, not because I didn't think it was an excellent pistol but because I didn't want to bother with updating the trigger.

On the M2.0: it definitely benefits from the same trigger improvements that the 9/40 M2.0's did. My 9mm M2.0 compact is so much improved in the trigger, that I have no plans to add an Apex kit. I have read on mp-pistol that the .45 M2.0 has the same trigger improvements as the other calibers, with multiple users confirming that, so I think that is reliable feedback.

One thing I'd check out with some Google-fu before you take the plunge: whether people are still having any common issues with mags and feeding reliability. It was not a huge issue in Gen 1, but it was common enough that I saw it come up a number of times here and other forums, so check around and confirm it's been resolved with the M2.0.

Other than that, if you want a .45 polymer pistol, if I were buying today I'd be testing the M2.0 against H&K .45 or H&K USP, as my top options.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I really haven't had much experience with the 227, but it didn't seem much larger grip wise than the 220. I really like shooting the 220, what is it about the 227 you dislike so much, the DA/SA pull?
    The P227 is more akin to the P226. The first P227 I picked up in a LGS it felt like a pudgy P226. They used the SHORT Reach trigger and maybe thinner grip panels. My last 20 years as a LEO we were issued the Sig P226 in 9mm then 357 Sig. So the P227 did not feel much different. I think the same holster a 220/226 uses a 227 will fit also. The 220 felt like a 1x3 in my hand, until the Desert model came out with the Short reach trigger. I have big hands but shorter fingers. My 226 ELITE has a short reach trigger and the SRT system. My old P239 9mm feels right too.
    I understand the 227 is being discontinued by Sig
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWH24 View Post
    The P227 is more akin to the P226. The first P227 I picked up in a LGS it felt like a pudgy P226. They used the SHORT Reach trigger and maybe thinner grip panels. My last 20 years as a LEO we were issued the Sig P226 in 9mm then 357 Sig. So the P227 did not feel much different. I think the same holster a 220/226 uses a 227 will fit also. The 220 felt like a 1x3 in my hand, until the Desert model came out with the Short reach trigger. I have big hands but shorter fingers. My 226 ELITE has a short reach trigger and the SRT system. My old P239 9mm feels right too.
    I understand the 227 is being discontinued by Sig
    Thanks for the details. I've always liked shooting the 220's, just a match for my hands I guess. I've always wanted one, and I'm definitely not a Sig fan. If I ever see one come up as a reasonably priced police trade-in, I'll probably jump, but I would have to stumble across it as I'm not really looking.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 09-24-19 at 17:15.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    It's a boat anchor, very very very very very high bore axis, very bulky, trigger yuck, etc. There's nothing that I like about it except that it's made well.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    For anyone on the M&P45 line, AIM Surplus has used mags for sale. The Glock mags I have bought there have been VG/VG+. G17/19/21
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234