Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: School Me On Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 .45 Pistols

Feedback Score
    Have a full size 2.0 .45 in the family. Good pistol, no problems.

14 rd factory extended mags are nice.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Uni-vibe: Bill Allard (Recently R.I.P.) most definitely said there was a huge difference between the 9mm and 45acp. And he carried the 45acp.
    You only get one shot to make a lasting impression. *** Make it a good one!

Feedback Score
    I have a 9mm 2.0 compact. Great gun.I bought mine last year. I had budgeted 600 for a new compact 9mm. The gen 5 glocks were only offered with that atrocious front cutout no mos version at the time. So I went with an m&p ( a year prior I also chose a shield over the 43 this is all subjective individual preference) I did install an apex kit mostly due to the great deal I got on the gun. With a rebate I was otd at 315 usd with mine. That being said after installing the apex and shooting approximately 2000 rds this past year. I probably won't do it again. The stock trigger had 3 range sessions with 150,200 and 200. I never noted any real complaints with it. It would takeup to the wall, break clean and the reset was noticeable. The apex is pretty nice but stock was definitely serviceable. I've been looking at a 4in .45 for similar reasons
    Also appendix carry its barrel not grip length that bothers me.Let me know on your purchase.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Survival View Post
    Uni-vibe: Bill Allard (Recently R.I.P.) most definitely said there was a huge difference between the 9mm and 45acp. And he carried the 45acp.
    People who study the anatomy and physiology of gunshot wounds say they can't tell the caliber, bullet weight or bullet type, in examining the victims of handgun shootings. Unlike other opinion holders, they say so under oath.

Feedback Score
    To actually answer the OP:

The 2.0 is far and away the better gun. The trigger is better, and the frame is more robust. The dimensions are slightly different so as someone else said, some holsters won't work. The Compact model has a shorter barrel but the grip is the same size hence the same capacity. I'm not going to fault you for wanting the .45. I carry 9mm pretty much exclusively but I have a hard time turning my nose at .45. It's a great caliber and was my first carry gun. Now if you were looking at a .40......

The 1.0 45s were decent guns. Flint MI PD still carries them. The 2.0 really refined it and if I were doing it all over again I would probably get it over the Glock 21.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    People who study the anatomy and physiology of gunshot wounds say they can't tell the caliber, bullet weight or bullet type, in examining the victims of handgun shootings. Unlike other opinion holders, they say so under oath.
    That’s not true. You most certainly can decipher weight and even caliber from this thing called base/ogive. .

I mean it’s forensics 101 in order to prove X gun fired Y bullet.

Most MEs have reference materials to crossmatch.

Like if you are attempting to say “I can’t tell just from looking at a picture of a GSW” then you are correct but there is so so so much more to it than you are implying.

Any recovered bullet is most certainly weighed post mortem.

All else being equal most pistol calibers do tend to end up mushrooming the same.

I won’t bore you with caliber debates as it all boils down to what a person is most proficient with but you are mistaken here.

.45 will always have a place in handgunnery, just not for the reasons most people would need to consider.

I would say if you are just starting out then 9mm is likely your best consideration

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticaldesire View Post
    To actually answer the OP:

The 2.0 is far and away the better gun. The trigger is better, and the frame is more robust. The dimensions are slightly different so as someone else said, some holsters won't work. The Compact model has a shorter barrel but the grip is the same size hence the same capacity. I'm not going to fault you for wanting the .45. I carry 9mm pretty much exclusively but I have a hard time turning my nose at .45. It's a great caliber and was my first carry gun. Now if you were looking at a .40......

The 1.0 45s were decent guns. Flint MI PD still carries them. The 2.0 really refined it and if I were doing it all over again I would probably get it over the Glock 21.
    Yes, I've heard of a few issues with some of the Safariland options IIRC. Annoying, but not a total deal killer.
    Thanks for the overall input. Funny story- I actually started out my pistoleering adventures with a .40 XDm...

Per this thread as a whole-
    There seems to be some sort of weird misconception that I'm ditching 9mm for .45.
    I don't know why that is...
    If it helps put some of the caliber nerd minds at ease before this thread turns into another 9 vs 45 debate, I'm also seriously considering a G48 for EDC. So there.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    The M&P is superior to the Glock in ergonomics. Their 45 is very accurate. The main issues with their pistols was a bad trigger and bad accuracy from the 9mm. The 2.0 supposedly fixed all that so in my opinion I’m not sure a Glock is a superior handgun. Even the high profile M&P naysayers like Vickers have not, as far as I know, really made that case.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    That’s not true. You most certainly can decipher weight and even caliber from this thing called base/ogive. .

I mean it’s forensics 101 in order to prove X gun fired Y bullet.

Most MEs have reference materials to crossmatch.

Like if you are attempting to say “I can’t tell just from looking at a picture of a GSW” then you are correct but there is so so so much more to it than you are implying.

Any recovered bullet is most certainly weighed post mortem.

All else being equal most pistol calibers do tend to end up mushrooming the same.

I won’t bore you with caliber debates as it all boils down to what a person is most proficient with but you are mistaken here.

.45 will always have a place in handgunnery, just not for the reasons most people would need to consider.

I would say if you are just starting out then 9mm is likely your best consideration
    Well, the MEs at one of the nation's largest cities have apparently missed the base ogive theory of matching bullets to bullet holes in people. They will not testify under oath or via an autopsy report.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Survival View Post
    And back in his day I have know doubt there was a huge difference, I too carried a 45acp and wanted nothing to do with 9mm, but with today's bullet tech that difference isn't nearly as huge as it once was.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast