Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reloading 55gr FMJ; M&P 15 Sport II

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Doubled
    Last edited by jsbhike; 09-03-19 at 19:20.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Picked up some today thinking they were just going to be a more accurate varmint bullet than ball ammo.

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifl...24-60-gr-sp#!/

Ended up being the bullet used in a cartridge Academy markets for deer hunting with some sort of exclusive deal with Hornady.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...-gr-sp.806667/

I think $1 per hundred more than hornady 55 fmj at Cabela's so likely cheaper at other places.

Forgot to add, this is the 60gr Hornady varmint bullet

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/hor...fle-ammunition

From what I have read the Hornady 55gr SP will perform as well. Also from reading, the JHP and VMAX in similar grain weights does not perform as well and the 55gr SP SX may likely break apart if loaded to higher velocity from some of the faster twist barrel.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 09-05-19 at 17:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I hate to be a killjoy, and I happily tilt at windmills myself, but what's the point of replicating cheap ball ammo?

If I were looking for terminal performance, then I wouldn't use 55gr FMJs.

If I were looking for accuracy, then I wouldn't use 55gr FMJs.
    Actually, my blaster/target ammo is a detuned version of M193. Accuracy is decent enough for plinking & 55gr projos are really cheap.

I agree though, anything precision or terminal performance based wouldn’t use 55gr FMJ’s.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Nice write up, I have used a lot of H-335 with 55 gr Hornady bullets, usually 24.5 or 25gr's and they shoot about as good as my 64yr old eyes can.

I don't like any other FMJ if shooting for any kind of decent groups. 52 & 53 gr match bullets from the big 3 all work good for me.

For coyotes I like the match bullets from Speer & Hornady or the 55gr v-max with H-335, AA 2015 for the match bullets.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    It's not a bad idea for anybody to grab a 6,000 count of those Hornady 55gr when the prices dip below $400. Grabbing bulk powder and primers with it gives an economical practice load.

Feedback Score
    Ya and the way things are going it might be a smart idea also. I'm starting to think about buying bunches of everything. LOL Ya never know.

Wasn't long ago when you couldn't find any bullets to handload. The Hornadys come at a good price & about the same as the SP's most times.

I always have good luck with both, the SP's get a little banged up but are a good all around bullet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RDub View Post
    Yes ammo is cheap and plentiful right now. I'm buying it up and shooting it and having a ball.
    But, don't you remember just a few short years ago.. we couldn't hardly find ammo, or powder, or primers, or much a anything.

Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    It's not a bad idea for anybody to grab a 6,000 count of those Hornady 55gr when the prices dip below $400. Grabbing bulk powder and primers with it gives an economical practice load.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    Wasn't long ago when you couldn't find any bullets to handload.

I not only agree with all this, but I'm already there... I can remember when M193 was selling for 40¢/round and primers were backordered everywhere.

So, I have enough projectiles, powder, and primer to load thousands of rounds of "plinking" 223.

In the meantime, I also have a big stockpile of factory 55gr ball ammo... RDub, you should be buying it and STACKING it, not shooting it all!

Because now cheap ammo is, well, cheap, I'm more focused on reloading fancy stuff...

Feedback Score
    Oh yes.. I'm stackin some too...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12