Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basic Glock question...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Less and less likely to encounter, but the very first unlined magazines aren't the best in Gen 3, 4, and likely now 5 since the half moon cut in the front strap is almost a must to strip them out.

Feedback Score
    IIRC, I don't think that the "drop free" feature was in the original Glock concept?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    IIRC, I don't think that the "drop free" feature was in the original Glock concept?
    That is what I have heard as well. Coming from P38 and BHP an unlined magazine isn't any worse.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    This be true.

Glock refers to the 1st Gen mags as non-fully metal-lined (NFML). According to lore, I've never actually seen this type, the earliest were metal-lined on 3 sides only on the upper portion of the magazine. The 'later' 1st Gen mags had a U shaped metal insert running the full length of the magazine as pictured below:

Attachment 58680

As mentioned, this design was intended to keep a partially loaded magazine from dropping from the pistol. It has been a long time ago, but to my recollection the empty mags always dropped free.

In the Glock Armorer course we were told the fully metal-lined magazines were a response to the desires of the U.S. police market.

One of the quickest ways to tell is to look through the holes on the back of the mag. If you don't see some steel around the holes it is not fully metal lined.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 09-04-19 at 14:55.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    ]
    As mentioned, this design was intended to keep a partially loaded magazine from dropping from the pistol. It has been a long time ago, but to my recollection the empty mags always dropped free.
    I think most of mine did, but I was picking them up used while the Clinton ban was in so the ones that were iffy on dropping may have gotten out of spec prior to me picking them up. In all honesty it was a good idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12