Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic Glock question...

Feedback Score

Basic Glock question...

OK, one more time. Can a current Glock 17 Gen 5 use older generation mags?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Yes they accept all previous Gens

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    As stated above, they accept all previous generation mags. The only exception being, generation 1-3 magazines won't work with a generation 4-5 pistol if the mag release has been swapped to the right side of the frame.
    Last edited by William B.; 09-02-19 at 18:47.
    Owner/Instructor at Resolute Response

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes. Unless youre a lefty and have the mag release flipped. In that case you need gen4 mags

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As others note, all previous mag revisions work in the gen5 unless the mag catch is reversed. If reversed, some won't.

Generation categories for guns don't directly align with all the magazine revisions.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Assuming the reverse is true, Gen5 mags work in Gen 1-4 guns (without mag catch switch), correct?

And to add to the questions do 9mm barrels interchange between Gen 1-4 and Gen 5? I ask as Gen 5 threaded are available, but not Gen 1-4.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    Assuming the reverse is true, Gen5 mags work in Gen 1-4 guns (without mag catch switch), correct?

And to add to the questions do 9mm barrels interchange between Gen 1-4 and Gen 5? I ask as Gen 5 threaded are available, but not Gen 1-4.
    Yes reverse mag is compatible.

Not sure on barrels but aftermarket barrels are available for whatever Glock you want

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    But not in a 19X due to the front lip, Gen 5 mags will not work. Only 1-4 Gen's
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWH24 View Post
    But not in a 19X due to the front lip, Gen 5 mags will not work. Only 1-4 Gen's
    I didn't realize that. Good to know!
    Owner/Instructor at Resolute Response

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    I just got back into Glocks and *THINK* I understand this topic:

First - Gen 1-4, G17 and Gen 1-4 G19 barrels are not interchangeable. The locking block geometry is different. We all should know this. I believe you can run a G19 barrel in a G26, so the locking blocks are the same.

Gen 5, they made the locking block geometry of the G17 match the G19. The Gen 5 G17/34 barrel is like a lengthened G19 barrel now. So I think you can fit the G5 G17 into a G26 or G19 of any generation.

Any generation G19 barrels are interchangeable.

From a manufacturing stand point, the bottom line is the G5 barrels are all the same, vice length (G19, G17, G26, G34). I have zero clue about the new stuff (19X/G45).

As an aside: As a new G5 G34 owner I am very pleased. The thing is a laser beam, where my G3 G26 was a laser as well, my old G3 G34 didn't quite have the same accuracy. I like the no hole in the top of the slide. I don't care for MOS (now) but its there. Front serrations are fine by me. I think the new trigger is my only complaint, for my level of shooter its slower than the old point and click for hoser type stuff. I added a Glock extended mag release, Ameriglos, and swapped around the "-" connector with another spare Glock "-" connector to get a better trigger.
    Last edited by Rayrevolver; 09-03-19 at 20:52.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast