Thread: One Way To Lefty Reload A Revolver

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

One Way To Lefty Reload A Revolver

This is in response to a PM someone sent me. I cant figure out how to post pictures on a PM so I just put my reply here for them to see.

My method was to keep the speedloader,s on the same side as the holster.

After I fired my last round the right hand went forward to cradle the revolver under the bottom barrel lug as pictured:

Attachment 58652

At the same time my strong (left) hand is relaxing on the grip and letting the revolver move enough so the trigger finger can push the cylinder release forward. I've always shot Smith revolvers and most of the students we had either shot Smiths or Rugers. On the Rugers most folks could push the cylinder release in with the trigger finger, but some had to reposition the hand to use the thumb, remember the right hand is holding the pistol.

(I couldn't really get a picture of the process with both hands on the revolver because I just turned on the computer to unwind after arriving home late. Everyone else is asleep, so no one to take pictures with my phone)

Once the cylinder release is pressed forward the support thumb pushes the cylinder out and the ring and little finger kind of come into play pinching the cylinder against the thumb to hold the cylinder steady as in picture TWO. For me anyways, the middle finger is just kind of hanging around.

Attachment 58653

At this point the strong (left) hand is off the revolver and going to the speedloader pouches. The support hand rotates the revolver so the barrel comes through vertical and slightly beyond as pictured in THREE.

Attachment 58654

As this is happening the index finger is pressing the ejector rod through it's full travel. As you let the ejector rod return keep the revolver vertical or slightly beyond to ensure empty cases don't lay against the side of the frame and cause trouble.

Attachment 58665

As the ejector rod returns and the star drops back into the cylinder, the revolver should be rotated so the barrel is pointed straight down:

Attachment 58655

At this point the speedloder inserts the rounds into the cylinder. I worked with several different types of speedloaders the most common were HKS and Safariland. With the HKS you needed to turn the knob and let gravity work. With the Safariland you press the loader and the rounds are pushed into the cylinder.

Close the cylinder with the muzzle directed downward to ensure you don't jiggle rounds out of the cylinder.

Any questions can be handled by PM.

Hope this helps.

ETA: I don't know why the photos are rotated 1/4 turn, they weren't on my 'puter.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 09-03-19 at 11:18.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have you tried this method?

After the last shot. Left thumb comes around and onto the cylinder release as gun is tilted up. Right hand palm hits the cylinder and grabs the gun around the frame. Left hand pushes the extractor rod then does a reload. Left hand pushes cylinder closed and grabs the gun by the grip, ready to fire.

Sorry don't have a revolver on me to show at the moment

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Have you tried this method?

After the last shot. Left thumb comes around and onto the cylinder release as gun is tilted up. Right hand palm hits the cylinder and grabs the gun around the frame. Left hand pushes the extractor rod then does a reload. Left hand pushes cylinder closed and grabs the gun by the grip, ready to fire.

Sorry don't have a revolver on me to show at the moment
    Check PM
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I know a guy who reloads by poking his thumb through the frame with the cylinder. He can tell you that the forcing cone gets -hot-!

Try a modification of this one:

Instead of using the right hand index finger to eject, use the palm of the left hand, then continue the reload as shown.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    I know a guy who reloads by poking his thumb through the frame with the cylinder. He can tell you that the forcing cone gets -hot-!

Try a modification of this one:

Instead of using the right hand index finger to eject, use the palm of the left hand, then continue the reload as shown.
    That's what I was talking about

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    The whole thing is worth watching but he gets into the left hand reload at 4:30. Note he mentions not using fingers/thumbs to eject, because fire formed cases become too hard to eject...

Last edited by titsonritz; 09-06-19 at 20:55.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Ayoob's lefty method for the reload is the one I use. I only have partial use of my right hand but with thumb and two fingers I can very securely hold the revolver. I agree that using the heel of the left hand on the ejector rod is best in case of sticky fire formed cases.

i

Feedback Score
    That is the way I have always done it.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    26 Inf - excellent thread, thank you for sharing this technique.

Michael de Bethancourt teaches an interesting left-hand reload, as does Mark Fricke. I've trained with both gentlemen, and recommend them highly.

Feedback Score
    Another vote for Ayoob's technique. I've used his method for years.