Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer Awarded New Contract for 6.8 Weapons Systems.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Sig Sauer Awarded New Contract for 6.8 Weapons Systems.

I received this press release from Sig Sauer today around noon.

SIG SAUER Selected by U.S. Army for Next Generation Weapons with New Ammunition Technology, Lightweight Machine Gun, Rifle, and Suppressors
    Published Date: 09/03/2019

NEWINGTON, N.H., (September 3, 2019) – SIG SAUER, Inc. is proud to announce the official award of a contract by the U.S. Army in the down-select process for the Next Generation Squad Weapons (NGSW). The award encompasses the complete SIG SAUER system consisting of 6.8mm hybrid ammunition, a lightweight machine gun, rifle, and included suppressors. SIG SAUER will provide single-source manufacturing for ammunition, weapons, and suppressors allowing for less risk and increased capability for the U.S. Army.

“The U.S. Army is leading the world in the first significant upgrade to small arms in decades to meet the growing demands of soldiers on the battlefield. We are honored to have been selected for the Next Generation Squad Weapons program bringing increased lethality to the warfighter over the legacy weapons,” began Ron Cohen, President & CEO, SIG SAUER, Inc. “At the core of our submission is our newly developed, high-pressure, 6.8mm hybrid ammunition that is utilized in both weapons, and is a significant leap forward in ammunition innovation, design, and manufacturing.”

Here is link to the entire release: https://www.sigsauer.com/press-relea..._source=Eloqua

Love them or hate them, no one can deny that Sig Sauer is red hot and on quite a roll with government contracts.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Sig awarded yet another .Mil contract

It appears Sig continues to hammer out military contracts, this time in the form of the Next Generation Weapons with New Ammunition Technology, Lightweight Machine Gun, Rifle, and Suppressors for the US Army.

https://www.sigsauer.com/press-relea..._source=Eloqua

It's interesting to me that they are using yet another 6.8 series round, this time a 6.8mm "Hybrid"
    The primary objectives set forth by the U.S. Army for the NGSW-AR was a weapon with the firepower and range of a machine gun, coupled with the precision and ergonomics of a rifle. The SIG SAUER NGSW-AR submission is an ultra-light, medium caliber machine gun with AR ergonomics, and chambered in 6.8mm hybrid ammunition. Features include quick detach magazines, side opening feed tray, increased available 1913 rail space for night vision and enablers, folding buttstock, and suppressor.

Additionally, the Prototype Project Opportunity Notice (PPON) requirements were inclusive of an NGSW-Rifle. The SIG SAUER NGSW-Rifle submission also chambered in 6.8mm hybrid, is lightweight and features a free-floating reinforced M-LOK™ handguard, side-charging handle, fully ambidextrous controls, folding buttstock, and suppressor.
    Seems like a continuation of Sig's recent implements of "Complete weapon systems"

What are your guys' thoughts on this?
    Last edited by WickedWillis; 09-03-19 at 13:18.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Sig awarded yet another .Mil contract

Lol wut???

Granted it’s a down select.

The single source provider for ammo is what gets me. Like who writes an RFP for that in the first place?

Maybe it’s a great platform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 09-03-19 at 13:15.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I'd bet in the next five to ten years, there will be an investigation that finds multiple people within the DoD and SiG Sauer who are guilty of doing unlawful things to get SiG these contracts.

Not that anyone will go to prison for it. Or probably even lose their jobs.

But that's all just a hunch.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Lol wut???

Granted it’s a down select.

The single source provider for ammo is what gets me. Like who writes an RFP for that in the first place?

Maybe it’s a great platform?

That's the most surprising thing to me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I'd bet in the next five to ten years, there will be an investigation that finds multiple people within the DoD and SiG Sauer who are guilty of doing unlawful things to get SiG these contracts.

Not that anyone will go to prison for it. Or probably even lose their jobs.

But that's all just a hunch.
    After the price cutting on the M17 contract, I can't be shocked that they are in bed with someone
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Looking at the release it sounds like they were selected (to continue the solicitation). They were not adopted. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong. It seems to me they move forward in solicitation.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    Looking at the release it sounds like they were selected (to continue the solicitation). They were not adopted. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong. It seems to me they move forward in solicitation.

Yea it’s a down select so it’s in the running.

But if I were .mil I’d think the single ammo provider would be a hell of no go.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    What do you guys think the chances are this new solicitation won't get cancelled like the umpteen weapon upgrade programs that were inevitably shelved in years past?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BPDKar98k View Post
    What do you guys think the chances are this new solicitation won't get cancelled like the umpteen weapon upgrade programs that were inevitably shelved in years past?
    Odds are high, especially considering small arms seem to be one of the first things cut.

I think it'll depend who is in office after the 2020 election, honestly.

This selection is just to continue into the prototype stage, not a huge contract award.

Feedback Score
    Dog and pony show. Sig didn't win, they moved on to the next part of the down select process along with two other companies. Personally, assuming the program doesn't go the way of OICW, my money is on Textron now that they've partnered with Heckler & Koch and Winchester.

Tspeis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast