Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sig Sauer Awarded New Contract for 6.8 Weapons Systems.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ginge View Post
    I found this on the ammo.

“The 6.8mm Next Generation ammo needs to have the velocity to penetrate body armor; this is one of the requirements from the army. Cohen feels this ammo could change the path of firearms, because it’ll allow for new platforms of weapons. Having seen it first hand, we believe the new hybrid technology is a truly significant development in ammunition design and, by extension, what firearms will be capable of. SIG opted for a bi-metallic, multi-piece case instead of a telescoping polymer case. During testing, SIG learned that it’s difficult for polymer rounds to keep high pressures. As of December 2018, SIG has demonstrated at two separate locations for the U.S. Army the 6.8mm Hybrid ammo shot from a 16-inch barrel at 3,000 feet per second.”

“One of the many benefits of SIG’s Hybrid ammo is that it can be used in legacy firearms. For the regular consumer, this translates to access to high-pressure, high-velocity rounds in the future that we can use in the guns we already own. For competitors, Lindsay Bunch, of the Strategic Weapons Group, likens the increased performance of the hybrid ammo to getting 24-inch bolt gun velocity in a 16-inch gas gun. That capability would be a huge competitive and hunting advantage. To learn more about NGSW, go to the Federal Business Opportunities website, www.fbo.gov, and search for solicitation number W15QKN19Z042P.”

Full article source
    https://www.recoilweb.com/sig-sauers...ng-146832.html

Hard to say what will come of it. We know what happened with the xm8 and G11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Didn’t they say they wanted that sort of performance in a 13”, not 16” barrel?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score

Sig Sauer Awarded New Contract for 6.8 Weapons Systems.

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Didn’t they say they wanted that sort of performance in a 13”, not 16” barrel?
    Could have.
    Theres no telling what they’ll actually settle on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MorphCross View Post
    None of us, outside of a crate that "fell off an ammo truck," would get to shoot the tungsten core ammunition that would be going hand in hand with the new 6.8.

Pretending it will happen is a fool's bet.
    Its nice to dream. Lol

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MorphCross View Post
    If any company has the capital to chase that tiger it would be Winchester-Olin in partnership with Textron.
    I can't see how Sig or TX has more juice than General Dynamics. if they want to win this contract they will win this contract. Its that simple. I can't remember the last time a company this big jumped into the small arms acquisition side of the .mil contracts.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sig has some some players in the Strategic Weapons Group. Looking forward to what else they can come up with.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    General Dynamics is a behemoth, obviously. They make warships and fighter planes. But they don’t always get those contracts, either.

A little division of Fairchild came up with the Armalite Rifle, though they had to sell it to Colt before it got adopted.
    I don’t think it makes sense to count Sig out yet. I’m not rooting for them in particular, just looking at it from that angle.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    Those rounds are enormous! So, we're basically supposed to be changing from 5.56 NATO to 6.8mm Magnum?? This is moronic. If they're worried about armor piercing and "stopping power", go back to the 7.62 NATO or switch everything to 6.5 Creedmore. My thought is that this is designed to fail in order to justify budgets, but with no intention of bringing any new technology onboard. It's like the OICW: Nobody REALLY thought we were going to equip hundreds of thousands of combat troops with $35,000, massive, 20 pound rifles.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123