Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the oldest family member you can recall?

Feedback Score

What is the oldest family member you can recall?

I was lucky enough to know my great-great grandmother. That's right, my grandmother's grandmother! I was about 9 when she died, so it isn't like some fleeting early childhood memory, I actually remember her! I was blessed to know all four of my grandparents well, being the first-born grandchild on either side to young parents. Buried my last grandparent last summer; she was 93 and I was almost 53.

That great-great grandmother was originally from Germany. Grandma Nagel. Had a thick accent. I remember I had a basket of toys at my grandmother's house (she lived with my grandma, the one who died last summer). I'd be digging through that basket looking for something and she'd come in and ask "Vut ya huntin' boy?"

I have a black and white picture somewhere of my baptism. Shows all five generations in it, starting with G-G-Grandma Nagel all the way down to me.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had all but 3 great grandparents till I was 6 or 7 so I can remember the other 5 to some extent. I was 29 when the last one died. Still have 2 grandparents.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I had all but 3 great grandparents till I was 6 or 7 so I can remember the other 5 to some extent. I was 29 when the last one died. Still have 2 grandparents.
    As far as great-grandparents go, 3 died before I was born, one died when I was about 3yo and so I barely remember her, 2 died when I was 5yo and 6yo, and the other 2 I knew quite well growing up. That pic once again had all of them in it.

I gotta find that thing.....
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My grandmother was 103 years old when she passed away 3 years ago. Amazing to think of the all events & changes she experienced over her time on this earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    My grandmother was 103 years old when she passed away 3 years ago. Amazing to think of the all events & changes she experienced over her time on this earth.
    Usually if you have someone who lives that long there is a genetic link. Did she have siblings who lived to be pretty old (like 90+), i.e. your great-aunts or great-uncles? Bodes well for the parent of yours that she was
    a parent of. Maybe you too!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    That G-G-Grandmother Nagel I mentioned apparently lied about her age. She died in 1974 or 1975 and it turned out she was 92yo, but my family didn't find out until she died and they went through her stuff. That puts her born in the early 1880's.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A few of my great-grandparents plus most of my grandparents have hit 80s on up into 90s. Downside on the genetic link that most of them ended up with Dementia or Alzheimer's. Every time I forget something it is an oh crap! is this a sign? moment lol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What is the oldest family member you can recall?

Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Usually if you have someone who lives that long there is a genetic link. Did she have siblings who lived to be pretty old (like 90+), i.e. your great-aunts or great-uncles? Bodes well for the parent of yours that she was
    a parent of. Maybe you too!
    Yeah, I believe most of her siblings lived into their late 80’s or early 90’s. She was the oldest in her family & out lived every one of them.
    I do recall my grandma taking care of her aunt when I was younger. I don’t recall her exact age but I believe she was in her 90’s when she died.
    My grandma survived ovarian cancer in the 1980’s and 48 years of 2nd hand smoke from my grandpa. Probably was her wonderful German cooking & an occasional beer that kept around for so long. She was a wonderful person so karma may have played a role too.
    She was totally sound minded when she passed away. She had fell at her house one day and was in the hospital as a result. She told my mom that she had a feeling she’d never go back home. We felt that was crazy talk because she was only bruised. She ended up developing pneumonia and died a few days later. I was fortunate enough to be there with her and was holding her hand when she took her last breath.
    Last edited by Ryno12; 09-03-19 at 20:35.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    Yeah, I believe most of her siblings lived into their late 80’s or early 90’s. She was the oldest in her family & out lived every one of them.
    I do recall my grandma taking care of her aunt when I was younger. I don’t recall her exact age but I believe she was in her 90’s when she died.
    My grandma survived ovarian cancer in the 1980’s and 48 years of 2nd hand smoke from my grandpa. Probably was her wonderful German cooking & an occasional beer that kept around for so long. She was a wonderful person so karma may have played a role too.
    She was totally sound minded when she passed away. She had fell at her house one day and was in the hospital as a result. She told my mom that she had a feeling she’d never go back home. We felt that was crazy talk because she was only bruised. She ended up developing pneumonia and died a few days later. I was fortunate enough to be there with her and was holding her hand when she took her last breath.
    The grandfather I was closest to (USMC WWII vet, spoiled me rotten) died the day after Christmas in 1993 of natural causes. I was the one who found him. I strangely feel that there is some dubious "honor" to a situation like that. Like if anyone should have found him it should've been me.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

I actually remember going to my paternal great-grandmother's funeral, because my little brother and I rode with our granddad (and some of his siblings) in her Cadillac limousine!

I've ALWAYS been a car guy, and I can remember the car exactly.

1961 Cadillac Fleetwood Series 60 Special (Great-Granddaddy had money, but he'd died in '58) - this EXACT color, too.

I was 3 1/2 years old - my little brother was 2. My sister was a newborn (within DAYS of great-grandma's death!), so her, mom, and dad went separately.

Our family (the men anyways) are not terribly long-lived. My dad was the first male to make it to 73, since 1843! He just turned 83 in June, but I'll never live that long. I'll leave my wife instructions on how to let you know I've passed on... but whether she DOES or not's another story.

Suffice to say, if you don't hear from me for a solid month on here, it's safe to assume I've transferred to the Church Triumphant. Late 50's is our average lifespan (and I don't go to doctors - I don't trust them after Der Kommissar ObamassarKare), and I'm already 52. The end is coming soon.
    Last edited by The_War_Wagon; 09-03-19 at 21:41.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast