Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Older vs Current Gen 2 PMAGs

Feedback Score
    That packaging says Gen M2.
    DK

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I would be curious if we are seeing some counterfeit products.

Feedback Score
    Just received five Gen M3's that I ordered from Brownell's. All have dust covers, and the wrapper says "Impact/Dust Cover".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I would be curious if we are seeing some counterfeit products.
    Magpul products have been counterfeited for years. You shouldn't have any issues if buying from a reputable vendor, although obviously anything's possible.

Feedback Score
    I just checked my stash of about fifty new-in-wrapper G2's that I bought sometime last year from Brownells and they do not have dust covers. That was surprising. I didn't check them all but I saw date codes "6arrow16" and "1arrow17" on the ones I did.

Just to confirm, all of the G3 varieties I've bought had them. Let me know if you want date codes for those.

Feedback Score
    Concur.

Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Just received five Gen M3's that I ordered from Brownell's. All have dust covers, and the wrapper says "Impact/Dust Cover".

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    "Revision M" (Rev M) mags came with dust/impact covers, I don't believe M2 mags ever did. And as I understand it, M3 mags have always been supplied with dust/impact covers.

Rev M: 2009 - 2013
    M2: 2013 - Present
    M3: 2013 - Present

I think the Rev M and M2 are the same mag, except with the introduction of the M2, Magpul started using their new polymer formula; the same polymer formula used in their M3 mags. And, they ditched the dust/impact covers.
    Shooter like Kukoč

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    When Magpul came out with the Gen 2 MOE line they stopped supplying the dust cover. From the horses mouth:

"The GEN M2 MOE is identical in form and function to the older model PMAG except that the optional Impact/Dust Cover is now sold separately."

This does not apply to the Gen 3.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukr View Post
    That packaging says Gen M2.
    Wow. I never noticed in his pic. He got them from DSG so I would hope they are legit.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My impression from comments that Magpul reps have made is that they are continuously updating and improving their polymer formula, so they have made more updates than just when they introduced the M3 PMAG. Theoretically, an M2 you buy today is made of stronger polymer than one manufactured two years ago, but I don’t know how often they tweak the formula. The basic design of the mag should be the same though.

As for how they fit in the magwell, I’ve seen lowers that will drop M2 free easily while M3s stick, I’ve seen M2s stick and M3s drop freely, and I’ve seen both work fine in the same lower. There is a range of tolerances in both PMAGs and magwells, so you just have to test to see what works in your rifle(s). Same thing with Lancers and every other aftermarket magazine. Generally, GI mags are the only type that seem to work in all lowers.

Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    Wow. I never noticed in his pic. He got them from DSG so I would hope they are legit.
    They’re perfectly legitimate - they’re just Gen 2 / M2 PMAGs, not M3s, which is why they didn’t come with dust covers. It’s easy to distinguish between the two generations because M2 comes in a light olive green wrapper while M3 comes in a gray wrapper (the back of the wrapper is colored - the front is clear). The only issue would be if your buddy ordered M3s and they shipped him M2s by accident. If so, DSG is a great company and will fix it.
    Last edited by 3ACR_Scout; 09-07-19 at 08:53.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast