Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting habits that bug you

Feedback Score
    Handling guns behind the line, touching a gun with people down range- usually it is fiddling with a scope, or taking it offline- but no means no touch.

A HOLES THAT DRILL HOLES IN RANGE STEEL... special place in hell.

There is an indoor range where the fee is for unlimited time, rather than by the 1/2 hour. If the lanes fill up before you get there at 10, you might as well wait till after lunch as everyone leisurely shoots, comes out and has a coke...

People that come over and want to tell me about my guns. I like jawing it at the range just fine, but I don't need someone playing Ian from "In Range" with guns I own. Ask me as many questions as you want, just don't tell me what I also read online.

Arguing with your kid, oh wait, that's me....

Using a braked centerfire rifle under cover, next to me.. oh wait, me again..

I do have a 22lr loader for my MP-15-22 and MP9-22. What a transformaiton. I have a 'milker' loader for pistol mags, mainly just reduces dings to your fingers. Frankly, making me load AR mags by hand is the only thing that keeps me from going broke.
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 09-06-19 at 13:20.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I feel for you guys that have to put up with crowded public ranges or smallish 'lanes' and shooting with folks you don't know.

Our gun club keeps it's membership low, 400 members, so generally I can always find a bay/range to use without the company of others - I prefer to practice alone. If people are with me I'm generally in a teaching/mentoring mode. If I'm on a range/area that I have to share (action pistol falling plate bay, plinking or benchrest range) I simply go to another area if someone shows up. A pleasant 'Hey, I'm done here, give me time to gather my gear and I'll be out of your way' and I'm off.

Here is the map: you can enlarge it to get pretty good detail. We have a plinking range (canopy on North side of 200 yard line) and a benchrest range (smallish canopy to the South of the 200 yard line) which you have to share if someone else shows up, beyond that it is pretty much first come first served. You can shut down the entire South side of the range to practice at 600 yards if you get there before anyone occupies the trap/skeet, plinking or benchrest ranges and nothing is scheduled on the range calendar.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.1427...1!1e3?hl=en-US

Ahhh, Kansas. We may be hicks, but we get to shoot.

As for this:

3. Can't square up. (Rifle) They want to blade. Even with a short stock rifle. (11 in LOP) One funny moment occurred when I turned the shooters body by the shoulders. He moved his feet so now he he had the same posture but was now pointing the rifle 30 degrees off target. Then he says, "see, I cant shoot that way."

You need to be able to 'splain by the numbers:

A) Why and when we use this stance

1) Feet, knees, shoulders and hips square into the threat/target;

2) Strong foot slightly to rear;

3) Slight bend at the knees and waist;

4) Head erect, stock mounted as high and close to centerline of body as possible.

Then demo the stance by the numbers w/o weapons and have them get into the stance w/o weapon. Ron Avery does a hell of a job teaching it on a video I watched by equating it to sports you've played - a shortstop alert for the hit.

Then demo the stance with weapon properly mounted, then coach them into the proper position.

If you wanna teach, be ready to teach!
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 09-06-19 at 13:23.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    1. Cup and saucer handgun grip.
    2. Lack of muzzle awareness.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Not shooting habit, but rather range etiquette: One shot. Put gun down. Take ear pro off. Converse with buddy. Want to go downrange to look at target. Have sip of coke. Converse. Ear pro back on. Take 3 minutes to get in shooting stance. Fire next shot, rinse and repeat.

As long as someone isn't being dangerous though I really don't pay much attention to their shooting.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I am insufficiently arrogant to offer shooting advice to anyone unless they ask, or unless they're endangering me in some way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I am insufficiently arrogant to offer shooting advice to anyone unless they ask, or unless they're endangering me in some way.
    If you are referring to my response, yep, I was assuming they asked or were there for that purpose.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Handling a gun like you're trying to hide it.

Run it like you mean it.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Kind of like folks everywhere, yip yapping about crap that doesn't matter and bothering me. Being unsafe of course and having kids (or beginners) shoot guns they shouldn't be shooting, at least not yet.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    If you are referring to my response, yep, I was assuming they asked or were there for that purpose.
    C'mon, when it's your friends and family you want them to shoot better. At least as good as yourself.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post

I do have a 22lr loader for my MP-15-22 and MP9-22. What a transformaiton. I have a 'milker' loader for pistol mags, mainly just reduces dings to your fingers. Frankly, making me load AR mags by hand is the only thing that keeps me from going broke.
    Well, I can see that.

Then again, I recall a relative who brought a Taurus. 22 mag revolver with a very long barrel (8 inch). He was having a good time with it then dismayed when he ran out of ammo. I said, "You didn't shoot that much". "I only brought two boxes" he says. I said, "I remember you saying you had about 900 rds for it." "Yea, I wanted to save some of it."

This guy shoots a couple times a year and has about 50 guns. He got the ammo in a trade because he never buys that much ammo. At the time he only shot 100-200 rds per year.

That's just kinda weird to me. Sell guns, buy ammo, shoot it.
    Last edited by Ron3; 09-06-19 at 14:50.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast