Thread: Peltor CommTac III vs Defender

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Peltor CommTac III vs Defender

This may seem like an obvious question, but I wanted to run it by some of you here to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I was going to purchase a pair of CommTac Defenders (the CommTac III without comms) for $280. Before committing to it, I found a pair of NIB CommTac III's with gel ear cushions, PTT adapter, case, etc. for $399. They look like they're part of a contract-overrun.

Anyways, I don't have a comms setup yet (I've been looking closely at the TRI 148/152), but at that price, is there any reason not to get the CommTac III's for $120 more? Or is there something about the Defenders that make them a more favorable/flexible option, knowing I don't have comms yet?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Peltor CommTac III vs Defender

The defenders can be adapted for comms when you decide to get comms down the road. I’ve had both. The performance seemed the same to me. The comtacs May be the better long run buy since they come with the gel cups which are like $40 alone. With the defenders you’ll have to get the boom mic, down-lead adapter, ptt, and if you choose the gel cups. Also are the comtacs that you’re looking at the single comm or dual?

One advantage I guess to the Defenders is that if you’re not running comms at any time you can remove the extra cables and boom mic. With the comtacs you can remove the mic but will still have to manage the down-lead/s. I managed the cable on my single comms with a headband cover with the lead tucked into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rfairman; 09-06-19 at 21:46.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Get the ComTac III’s if you plan to add comms later. The cool part about the ComTac headset is that you can take the microphone off if you don’t need it. Then you just run the down lead inside the headband.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rfairman View Post
    The defenders can be adapted for comms when you decide to get comms down the road. I’ve had both. The performance seemed the same to me. The comtacs May be the better long run buy since they come with the gel cups which are like $40 alone. With the defenders you’ll have to get the boom mic, down-lead adapter, ptt, and if you choose the gel cups. Also are the comtacs that you’re looking at the single comm or dual?

One advantage I guess to the Defenders is that if you’re not running comms at any time you can remove the extra cables and boom mic. With the comtacs you can remove the mic but will still have to manage the down-lead/s. I managed the cable on my single comms with a headband cover with the lead tucked into it.

I'm looking at single comms because I don't want mono comm audio in one ear should I ever run comms in the future.

I'm assuming the comms kit for the Defenders is a dual lead/cable for both the mic and the downlead for the radio? I was looking at accessory pricing and the PTT adapter alone (new) was like $200, the mic kit was another $100, and I couldn't find any info on a downlead. Plus the gel ear seals were like $40-50. Added up, it seemed like upgrading the Defenders would put me at a net cost of about $650+, while the CommTac III's are a one-and-done purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by drtywk View Post
    Get the ComTac III’s if you plan to add comms later. The cool part about the ComTac headset is that you can take the microphone off if you don’t need it. Then you just run the down lead inside the headband.
    Good point.
    Last edited by Skyyr; 09-07-19 at 06:59.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyyr View Post
    I'm looking at single comms because I don't want mono comm audio in one ear should I ever run comms in the future.

I'm assuming the comms kit for the Defenders is a dual lead/cable for both the mic and the downlead for the radio? I was looking at accessory pricing and the PTT adapter alone (new) was like $200, the mic kit was another $100, and I couldn't find any info on a downlead. Plus the gel ear seals were like $40-50. Added up, it seemed like upgrading the Defenders would put me at a net cost of about $650+, while the CommTac III's are a one-and-done purchase.

Good point.
    I had never priced all the parts out when I had my Defenders. I didn’t have them long before I found a guy that wanted to trade a set of single comms for my Defenders. I jumped on the deal thinking that MAYBE I’d get into comms. I ended up selling them only because I needed to free up some cash and my sport Tacs work just fine for me. I do miss mine though! As I’m sure you’ve heard in the past everyone’s needs are different. In my opinion the Comtacs are the better buy if you are toying with the idea of getting a comms setup.