Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Composite-cased ammo selected for NGSW

Feedback Score

Composite-cased ammo selected for NGSW

It'll be interesting to see if this makes it all the way to fielding:

GARLAND, TX – True Velocity composite-cased ammunition has been selected for the U.S. Army’s Next Generation Squad Weapon (NGSW) modernization program. True Velocity’s 6.8mm composite-cased cartridge was submitted as part of an overall NGSW weapon system in partnership with General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems and firearm manufacturer Beretta Defense Technologies.

http://soldiersystems.net/2019/09/06...-squad-weapon/

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    The fork is officially in 5.56’s ass. And the M4’s.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Looks like a modified Ackley Improved case shape. I’m not well versed in polymers but I’m interested in knowing how one is capable of withstanding higher pressures than brass and preventing the primer from backing out in said high pressures.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Metal case head insert, looks to me like it goes up about 20% into the polymer case. This is interesting, I suppose the other competitors will have to adapt their weapons to this cartridge? I was hoping cased telescoped would work out but if this works great. I wonder how the polymer case will stand up to mg links.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 09-07-19 at 12:41.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Presumably they can manufacture the case in a less obtrusive color than white?

Feedback Score
    Upon further research, this may be only part of the story. SIG and Textron were apparently also awarded contracts, and appear to be developing their own flavors of ammunition:

https://www.sigsauer.com/press-relea...d-suppressors/

https://www.textronsystems.com/newsr...4-c3373be82d75
    Last edited by Slater; 09-07-19 at 13:42.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    The mil runs all kinds of programs to develop new equipment. Doesn't mean it'll ever get adopted service wide. Odds are actually pretty against it. They spend billions every year on programs that will never see the light of day outside the development phase.

Besides that it would take Lake City YEARS to retool the lines to mass produce this stuff, and then run for YEARS to get stockpiles up to mandated amounts.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I don't think LC will be involved in making the ammo, at first anyway. IIRC the winner has to be sole source on the ammo at least for a while. I believe they set it up this way so that if something like this round is selected the developer has to commit to supply it until others can be spun up.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Textron may be stepping out the furthest with their "Case Telescoped" ammo concept. The big advantage to that is supposedly the weight savings.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Textron may be stepping out the furthest with their "Case Telescoped" ammo concept. The big advantage to that is supposedly the weight savings.
    Yes, but at the cost of bulk. The telescoped ammo appear to be about the size of 20 gauge shotgun rounds.

Honestly, the most viable option of all these being offered here appears to be the polymer case rounds. If they can find a way to create a polymer that can be comparable to brass in most respects, they can use current chamberings and save weight. Or, they could upgrade to something like 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel with only a slight increase in bulk and a reduction in the current weight of 5.56.

I'm not opposed to things like telescoping ammo, and I do think it's the future. but I think at this point, it's still years away from being ready.

Also, I don't know why they're insisting on 6.8 when 6.5 is shown to have better external ballistics and very comparable terminal ballistics.
    Last edited by BoringGuy45; 09-07-19 at 20:52.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast