Thread: What's good in current production for subsonic 300BO that won't break the bank ...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What's good in current production for subsonic 300BO that won't break the bank ...

I'm looking for 300BO Subsonic ammunition. I see prices all over the place but, not a lot of credible reviews on performance. What's good in the $15~$20 range per box today for feral hogs and coyotes? What doesn't 'ice pick' a coyote (looking for some expansion and less over-penetration).

For example; I was looking at Hornady Subsonic 190 Grain Sub-X Brass .300 AAC Blackout but read a thread on here and on another site that caused me to question its effectiveness but, that was also almost 2 years ago. While I don't expect it to be 'barrier blind', something that acquits itself at least marginally in the FBI specs is desired along with good "bad critter" performance.

I'm not brand-focused so, even remanufactured options are acceptable FWIW.

TIA,
    Sid

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Unless your <50m and 100% sure of your shot placement I would not use subsonic ammunition for hunting pigs. I also wouldn’t count on any expansion, regardless of what the specs say.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    220gr round nose soft point. Hit the shoulder, no expansion needed as it will break things.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Discreet Ballistics for expanding subsonic. Ask them for data. Watch for the sales. Here’s their best priced offering at the moment.

https://discreetballistics.com/shop/...t-bundle-pack/

Feedback Score
    On the web there are vids off hog hunting with discreet bullets . Look good but not cheap.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Any factory ammo is going to pencil straight through unless it comes from a small company that has developed a specific 300 BLK subsonic expanding round. They aren't cheap! SMK 220 grain have been reported to tumble after impact but they don't expand.
    The heavy bullets used in 300 BLK subs are generally designed to be fired in 30-06 or 300 Win Mag. No way that they will expand at all at 1000fps or less.
    Maker bullets created these 200 grain 300 BLK bullets and they work on deer. I've taken 3 so far with them.

300SBLk-Expanded_medium.jpg