Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lack of anodizing in certain spots

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've had several lowers missing the "black" in that same at I area. I have always assumed that is were they hang the part during the anodizing process. Also, as I understand it, anodizing is actually just a dull gray finish, the dye is what makes it black.

Feedback Score
    Is this why I see some parts having a purple-ish hue in the right light?

Quote Originally Posted by cutter_spc View Post
    I've had several lowers missing the "black" in that same at I area. I have always assumed that is were they hang the part during the anodizing process. Also, as I understand it, anodizing is actually just a dull gray finish, the dye is what makes it black.

Feedback Score
    If this is not a second or a blem call LMT if it bothers you.

“Top Tier” manufactures should be held to the highest standards and stuff like this shouldn’t get out of QC.

I’m surprised this thread has gone to page two without some of the “too cool for school” people chiming in to mock you for worrying about “cosmetic” issues. I had a Colt lower that was all jacked up with tool marks. A few here said to live with it. Instead I called Colt CS and they said it was “out of spec” and that it should never have left the building. They replaced it.

I have a LMT Defender lower that won’t drop older Gen 2 PMAGs. Didn’t find this out until I completely built the rifle. Now I’m too lazy to take it apart to send it back...if they would replace it.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    If this is not a second or a blem call LMT if it bothers you.

“Top Tier” manufactures should be held to the highest standards and stuff like this shouldn’t get out of QC.

I’m surprised this thread has gone to page two without some of the “too cool for school” people chiming in to mock you for worrying about “cosmetic” issues. I had a Colt lower that was all jacked up with tool marks. A few here said to live with it. Instead I called Colt CS and they said it was “out of spec” and that it should never have left the building. They replaced it.

I have a LMT Defender lower that won’t drop older Gen 2 PMAGs. Didn’t find this out until I completely built the rifle. Now I’m too lazy to take it apart to send it back...if they would replace it.
    Not sold as second or a blem. And, I hear you. In this instance, I didn't view it as a cosmetic issue, but or as a potential "functional" issue, so to speak.

Again, I'm ignorant on the anodizing process and what I'm seeing. Going into this all I knew was: steel + aluminum = corrosion, so seeing those spots caused me to start this thread.

As some have pointed out, the lower is anodized and what I'm seeing is probably due to a lack of dye. That's what I'm going with; I assembled the lower yesterday. If there is any issue in the future, I'll just deal with it at that time.

And for those interested: I can't remember exactly what I wrote LMT, but it was very similar to what is written in the OP. Either way, here was their response: "If you want to apply some Aluminum Black from Birchwood Casey, that would make the holes black. Also be sure to lube the springs and detents for those two diameters while assembling."
    Shooter like Kukoč

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Sounds to me like they acknowledged the potential problem but accepted your offered solutions rather than offering to check or fix it.

Not sure if that is more a reflection on your email or their attitude toward customers who purchase potentially incorrectly manufactured products

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Sounds to me like they acknowledged the potential problem but accepted your offered solutions rather than offering to check or fix it.

Not sure if that is more a reflection on your email or their attitude toward customers who purchase potentially incorrectly manufactured products
    LMT isn't really responsive to civilians. It took them a month and a half to even inspect the two things I sent to them. They did eventually replace them(like they should've) but it took me multiple phone calls/emails. In one email it was made clear that the person handling the inspecting of my parts was too busy with a prospective military client and that my parts would have to wait.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I don’t want this to be a bash LMT thing. With that said, I find it interesting to think how this thread would go if the company were PSA, or even Colt back when they couldn’t be bothered with the civilian market.
    With that said, I’m probably going to get another MARS-L lower, because it’s awesome. Legitimately. And I’d get an upper, too, if they had other barrel profiles. Still almost picked one up over Labor Day.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I don’t want this to be a bash LMT thing. With that said, I find it interesting to think how this thread would go if the company were PSA, or even Colt back when they couldn’t be bothered with the civilian market.
    With that said, I’m probably going to get another MARS-L lower, because it’s awesome. Legitimately. And I’d get an upper, too, if they had other barrel profiles. Still almost picked one up over Labor Day.
    Agreed on the bashing thing and in the end they made it right. I love LMT and will continue to buy their products. I, too, need a stripped Defender lower and a MARS-L.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by phixion View Post
    Not sold as second or a blem. And, I hear you. In this instance, I didn't view it as a cosmetic issue, but or as a potential "functional" issue, so to speak.

Again, I'm ignorant on the anodizing process and what I'm seeing. Going into this all I knew was: steel + aluminum = corrosion, so seeing those spots caused me to start this thread.

As some have pointed out, the lower is anodized and what I'm seeing is probably due to a lack of dye. That's what I'm going with; I assembled the lower yesterday. If there is any issue in the future, I'll just deal with it at that time.

And for those interested: I can't remember exactly what I wrote LMT, but it was very similar to what is written in the OP. Either way, here was their response: "If you want to apply some Aluminum Black from Birchwood Casey, that would make the holes black. Also be sure to lube the springs and detents for those two diameters while assembling."
    Here's a brief (~2 min from where the link starts the video) summary of the anodizing process:

Feedback Score
    I really want a MARS lower but they seem to be sold out ...just like most LMT things. Honestly the company seem like a mini Colt 10+ years ago. Great products and reputation but can’t seem to find anything in stock. Then add in the Colt pricing on parts.

I did get my Defender lower for $100 though...which I didn’t think was bad.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast