Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting habits that bug you

Feedback Score

Shooting habits that bug you

I isn't perfect.
    But, there are some shooting habits people I sometimes shoot with have that bug me. I try to politely help them, and they often try, but just cant quit the habit.

1. Riding recoil when firing low-recoil guns. I can't understand this one. They'll shoot say, a 9mm, and rather than control the recoil they just let it ride up. So much so it looks like they are faking recoil. Weird.

2. No follow-through. The instant the shot breaks (just before?) They are already looking over or around the gun to see where the bullet went.

3. Can't square up. (Rifle) They want to blade. Even with a short stock rifle. (11 in LOP) One funny moment occurred when I turned the shooters body by the shoulders. He moved his feet so now he he had the same posture but was now pointing the rifle 30 degrees off target. Then he says, "see, I cant shoot that way."

It was funnier because he wanted to get it, just couldn't.

4. Showing up, THEN start lubricating (IF they lube their handguns) and loading magazines.

5. No speed/assist loaders for mags. (Maglula, etc.) So I'll let kill their thumbs a bit and download mags before I pity them and loan them mine. "Buy shooting accessories and ammo? But I'm saving up for another gun!"

Yours?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Bringing some chick and giving her a shotgun with high brass.

I can overlook a lot but thats just dangerous, humiliating, and obnoxious.

I would almost rather that they simply catch her off guard in the parking lot and push her over on her ass. It'd be safer and cheaper.

And on the other emd of that spectrum....you are taking some chick shooting. She fully understands what shooting entails. Nothing is a surprise. Then she gets with a .22 and doubled ear pro and she wants to shoot, yelp as loud as she can, drop the gun, and bury her face in your chest.

No...its not cute. No...its not girly. It's a waste of precious range time. We coulda saved the trip and money and simply fornicated.

Same with wanting me to be all clinged up on you to shoot a .22. It's gay. Super gay. I find being lurched over a girl, and helpimg her hold a gun extended as she wiggles up on me to be gay. Please dont sully my range time.

Those two I can live without. I dont do range dates anymore unless she has a shooting history, her own gear, and has passed the written test.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I isn't perfect.
    But, there are some shooting habits people I sometimes shoot with have that bug me. I try to politely help them, and they often try, but just cant quit the habit.

1. Riding recoil when firing low-recoil guns. I can't understand this one. They'll shoot say, a 9mm, and rather than control the recoil they just let it ride up. So much so it looks like they are faking recoil. Weird.

2. No follow-through. The instant the shot breaks (just before?) They are already looking over or around the gun to see where the bullet went.

3. Can't square up. (Rifle) They want to blade. Even with a short stock rifle. (11 in LOP) One funny moment occurred when I turned the shooters body by the shoulders. He moved his feet so now he he had the same posture but was now pointing the rifle 30 degrees off target. Then he says, "see, I cant shoot that way."

It was funnier because he wanted to get it, just couldn't.

4. Showing up, THEN start lubricating (IF they lube their handguns) and loading magazines.

5. No speed/assist loaders for mags. (Maglula, etc.) So I'll let kill their thumbs a bit and download mags before I pity them and loan them mine. "Buy shooting accessories and ammo? But I'm saving up for another gun!"

Yours?
    1) Seen in movies. Good guy shoots and the handgun rises till the elbow is bent and the gun is by the head pointing up. Usually done as a one shot stop. Like the teacup hold that people still do.

2) Typical range shooter isn't interested in follow through. They're interested in accuracy, making as small a group as possible. Go on 99% of gun forums and you'll see the quality of the gun judged by how small a group it can shoot.

3) Old habits die hard. It's still seen in movies and older guys at the range.

4) So what? Their time/money

5) So what? Their time/money. I do it occasionally. Doesn't really bother my thumb. More important question is why bring a mag loader when you should have loaded them at home while watching TV. Last few classes I went to I loaded a dozen mags without a mag loader....no issues

The only habits that bother me is when someone is being dangerously unsafe. Im not a teacher, only there to shoot. People can do whatever pleases them as long as the gun is pointing down range. Hell, I see people at the range who only seem to socialize. Like they were going to a bar and made a wrong turn. Still, more power to them as it has nothing to do with me
    Last edited by Arik; 09-06-19 at 11:54.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Bringing some chick and giving her a shotgun with high brass.

I can overlook a lot but thats just dangerous, humiliating, and obnoxious.

I would almost rather that they simply catch her off guard in the parking lot and push her over on her ass. It'd be safer and cheaper.

Yea, I would NOT let a guy do that do a woman or kid. It isnt cool or funny. Good for you.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Tactical apathy. I try to mind my own business unless it's someone I'm either responsible for, has asked for my input, is about to be physically harmed, or is costing me time/money.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    1)

4) So what? Their time/money

5) So what? Their time/money. I do it occasionally. Doesn't really bother my thumb. More important question is why bring a mag loader when you should have loaded them at home while watching TV. Last few classes I went to I loaded a dozen mags without a mag loader....no issues
    It's my time too when I'm the member, they the guest, and we are staying only until X O'clock because it's hot as hell.

But otherwise, yes, I'll just shoot while they load mags, spray guns with oil (?) Etc.

Like you I'm definitely saving time and sweat loading mags at home.

Not only do I have the Lula for them, but I have about two dozen magazines. For Beretta .25's.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Tactical apathy. I try to mind my own business unless it's someone I'm either responsible for, has asked for my input, is about to be physically harmed, or is costing me time/money.
    New phrase to me, I like it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm with ST911, unless it effects me like someone flagging me with their gun, I will keep an eye on things but ignore their stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I isn't perfect.

Yours?
    A lot of out of state instructors who come to NJ would get pissed at this one. Then we had to explain to them that driving to the range with loaded mags would be the same as driving with a loaded guns and you couldn't do that in New Jermany.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Both men and women face the target feet close together, upper body leaning back away from the handgun, arms limply forward.

I sometimes show them the basic Weaver and how to shift their weight to the front leg, etc. Invariably they think it's better and start hitting th e paper at least.

Feedback Score
    Dramatic movements to look tactical but just cause inefficiency.
    Guys who have no clue “correcting” someone doing stuff right, or at least better than they are.
    Ive had guys tell me how to “get better” and it was the opposite of what you should do.

I load with my bare hands. It doesnt hurt and is just as fast or close to it as my loader.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-06-19 at 12:50.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast