Thread: ? on Hammer J-Spring

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

? on Hammer J-Spring

What is the main function of the Hammer J-Spring, I know it sets in center grove of the Hammer Pin, is that to keep the hammer from shifting?

EDIT: Was thinking about anti-walk pins on my 80% lower build, but they require the removal of the J-Spring. Of course the lower kit I purchased, the hammer has the J-Spring.
    Last edited by platoonDaddy; 09-07-19 at 14:41.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    What is the main function of the Hammer J-Spring, I know it sets in center grove of the Hammer Pin, is that to keep the hammer centered?
    Yes, it retains the hammer pin and keeps it from drifting out of the lower receiver.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Yes, it retains the hammer pin and keeps it from drifting out of the lower receiver.
    Then what are the advantages of anti-walk pins vs the J-Spring?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anti-walk pins usually come in to play when pin holes are out of spec (usually from the start) or when someone has goofed and stuck a spring in the wrong direction.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Anti-walk pins usually come in to play when pin holes are out of spec (usually from the start) or when someone has goofed and stuck a spring in the wrong direction.
    Even if out of spec, wouldn’t the J-spring prevent the hammer from wobble?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know an otherwise good J spring and lower receiver won't keep the pins in place if the hammer spring install was done wrong. Once it was corrected, no pin walk issues.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The J-spring sits in the center groove of the hammer pin. The J-spring keeps the hammer pin from walking out during the cycling of the hammer. If the hammer pin hole in the lower receiver is too large or oval the pin will walk.
    With quality lower parts and a quality in spec lower, there is no need for anti-walk pins other than aesthetics.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    There is none, their purpose is to sell you shit. Anti-walk pins have always been a solution looking for a problem. The problem is, there is plenty of dog shit out there where they have become the solution. Bill Geissele has recommended against using them on his trigrers. Bottom line, if a weapon "needs" anti-walk pins something is ****ed up.

Hammer wobble is prevented by proper tolerance between the lower receiver, hammer and pin, the J-spring only retains the pin.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I know an otherwise good J spring and lower receiver won't keep the pins in place if the hammer spring install was done wrong. Once it was corrected, no pin walk issues.
    You are confusing the trigger pin with the hammer pin. The classic incorrect install is a backwards hammer spring, which results in light hammer strikes, trigger pins drifting, many looks of confusion on the firing line and endless internet threads.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!