Thread: Reloading 62gr FMJ; M&P 15 Sport II

Feedback Score

Reloading 62gr FMJ; M&P 15 Sport II

Hello
    Now that I’ve completed the 55gr FMJ project, it’s time to pick on the 62 grainers. A buddy of mine sent me some 62gr green tips to work with. Weighing the bullets I found most to be 62.7-62.9grs., some a little heavier and some a little lighter. Their lengths were around .914”.
    If you haven’t seen that one you can check it out here;

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-P-15-Sport-II

The gun I’m shooting is a M&P 15 Sport II 16” 1-9 twist. Sight is a Lucid HD-7 red dot.
    Velocity data was taken with an Oehler 33 chronograph. Screens centered 15’ from muzzle.
    Target circles are 4” in diameter.

I took two different 62gr. factory loads out to shoot;
    The 62gr American Eagle FMJ green tip, and the Frontier 62gr FMJ.

The American Eagle load was charged with 26.9grs of a flattened ball powder and had a velocity yield of 2937 fps.
    The Frontier load was charged with 26.6grs of a flattened ball powder and had a velocity yield of 2937 fps.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/3ez5ttrqy/

https://postimg.cc/gallery/29kuk8viy/

Both loads shot pretty well. Now I know what I’m trying to duplicate.

Made another loading data chart for 60-62 grain bullets;

With the exception of AA 2015, the same powders were used. IMR 8208 and the one load of AR COMP were fired off with CCI 400 primers. The rest, CCI 450 primers. Lake City brass was used throughout.
    Bullets were seated just through the cannalure and crimped in with a Lee Factory Crimp die.

Loaded up the test ammo and went to the range.

Well.. Every powder except H-335 produced at least one good or descent group. This rifle will shoot these 62 grain bullets quite well. TAC really came through and AA2460 is the closest factory duplication load.
    I didn’t have enough bullets for a complete ladder with all eleven powders. One, would have to be loaded with only five. So AR COMP drew the short straw.

Here is a graph;

Well that was very interesting.
    Bear in mind this is all relative to one rifle, one shooter, one place and time, one set of components. Change any one variable and this could all change. Don't accept this as loading data. You must do your own work ups with your rifle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Those are very decent groups for green tip bullets. You definitely have some good loads identified. All of those powders can deliver good accuracy. The thing is if you want a top velocity as well then that narrows the selection. I’ve always got good accuracy as well as good velocity from 8208, BL-C2, CFE for most 5.56 bullet weights.

Excellent write up on your tests!
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Again... all this great effort on some of the worst bullets you can shoot. For 62 gr. We're running those 62 gr Hornady HPBT W/C bullets that aren't very expensive, and shoot really good.

I'd love to see you apply your efforts to some decent bullets.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Again... all this great effort on some of the worst bullets you can shoot. For 62 gr. We're running those 62 gr Hornady HPBT W/C bullets that aren't very expensive, and shoot really good.

I'd love to see you apply your efforts to some decent bullets.
    I know... The green tips were given to me so had to try them.. I'm looking at the Hornady 62 FMJ for a plinker and a Sierra 65 SPBT for a 'if needed' hunting load next. I've done some loading for my son-in-law's mini 14 and Hornady's always shoot well. So I have no doubt the 62 HPBT w/cannalure would do very well also. In good time..
    WHY DO THEY CALL IT COMMON SENSE WHEN IT IS SO UNCOMMON?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes, the Hornady and Sierra Bullets will really shrink those groups. I would re-test with your three best powders on the better bullets. You can get Hornady a lot cheaper buying some of their line in bulk of 600 or 1,000 ct. at a time.

I only handload milspec projectiles for informal plinking or on steel (not green tip) on a 100 yd range. For that, 55 gr FMJ is fine. Anything for accuracy I load commercial Bullets.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RDub View Post
    I know... The green tips were given to me so had to try them...
    I don't think anybody is saying that you shouldn't "try" them; we're just questioning why you're going to so much bother to develop loads with mediocre bullets: "A sow's ear," and all that.

Again, I've been known to tilt at a windmill, and it's your time/energy/concentration, so do whatever you want...