Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bringing my patrol rifle into the 21st Century

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)

Bringing my patrol rifle into the 21st Century

I'm a patrol cop, not SWAT or anything special. My rifle gets pulled from the rack in my truck a few times a week for high risk calls, possible active shooters, etc. I'm a gear junkie thought, always have been. I like to have nice things that I can rely on.

I started out as a cop with a 6920. Shortly after, my agency mandated that all rifles must be suppressed, and therefore all barrels had to be under 12.5". They provided each vehicle (shared trucks and SUV's) with FN SBR's w/MI MLOK Rails, SIG Cans, and Aimpoint PROs. This was awesome for most, but I'm the kind of guy who likes to know exactly where my round is going to impact, how it was zeroed and maintained, etc. While those carbines are okay and have been proven to be reliable, they sport Uncle Mike's single point slings. Those slings are trash, and the single point causes you to be burned by the suppressors, hit in the nuts, and makes going hands on with suspects damn near impossible. So, I put the 6920 in the safe and bought a 6933 and a Silencerco Saker. Hearing bad things about the ASR mount (I got the can new for $580), I bought a bunch of Dead Air FH and brakes and a Key Mo mount for it.

The 6933 was a great gun. Small, super reliable, and tough as nails. I put a KAC RAS on it, Surefire Scout, Scalarworks PEAK sight, and a Comp M5 (later upgraded to a T2 when the Comp M5 died).

But, recently, after my Saker came in and I put it on the end of the 6933, I realized that it was a tank. Very front heavy. Also, as a "C Clamp" shooter, I had been struggling with the short length of the KAC RAS. So, I went searching for a better alternative.

I wanted something that was as bombproof as the Colt/KAC combo. My research brought me to the Geissele MK16 SMR. With the rail picked out, I decided to stick with the 6933 BCG and Barrel as they had already proven to be reliable and accurate. Plus, I really like the 6933 barrel profile and weight. I had my Sgt, who is also my gunsmith, put the Mk16 rail on and dimple the barrel and install the Geissele Gas Block.

I have always used IWC/HSP light mounts. I have a great relationship with that company and remain very loyal to them, and also really appreciate how great their products are. I had been using a rail mounted Thorntail with the Scout Light on the left side of the gun using the tail cap for activation. This had become an issue on a few calls, because as a right handed shooter my light was being covered by walls when I was taking cover on barricaded subjects. Now, with the plethora of MLOK options on the MK16, I upgraded the light mount to a Thorntail II SBR and put it on the right side. I bought a Cloud Defensive switch mount and a Surefire UE07, both from Cloud Defensive (25% off to active LE and Military, thank you to those guys!). This eliminates the problem of my light being placed behind cover, and allows me to extend my hand all the way to the end of the rail. The Cloud Defensive Light Control System (LCS) is tough to install but once installed is an awesome system. I can't believe I didn't go to this earlier.

The lower is a 6933 Factory SBR lower with a Geissele SSA trigger and Geissele flatwire and H3 buffer. The SSA trigger seemed like a good option for a new duty trigger, but I am not sure if it is truly $200 better than a milspec trigger. The buffer and spring combo do seem to tame recoil on the little firebreather.

The T2 is mounted on a Scalarworks LEAP mount which is just awesome. The caps are from Forward Control Design and are externally adjustable. The stock is a BCM Gunfighter, and the verdict is still out on it. I really like my B5 Bravo, and may go back to it soon.

Not pictured is the new MI Battle Sights which are en route from Brownells. I will mount the front sight behind the Cloud Defensive LCS, which will look silly, but I really like having that LCS all the way to front. I would like to, at the first of the year, get an Aimpoint 3x Magnifier as well for those times where I am perimeter or on a longer distance high risk stop and need to see what the occupants are doing. Also not pictured is my BFG VCAS sling with sling sleeve to keep it from getting caught up on the weapon rack.

I am very please with how this rifle turned out. Much lighter, much easier to shoot faster, and much more in line with the times. Plus, the MK16 is just super attractive to look at.

Feedback Score
    Nice. Nothing to argue with here, well thought out.
    What made the LCS hard to install?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Well thought out and executed.

Bravo.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Excellent upgrades, all make sense.

What don't you like about the Gunfighter stock vs B5? Interested since I just put one on a new lower.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Looks great.

Is this used 100% suppressed?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    Probably the way the 3 pieces are not extremely well keyed together and you have to fight it to get it flat and level. It’s my one complaint with mine I also just bought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    Three piece design, just hard to get aligned and installed. It's a great piece of equipment, but just a three-handed operation.
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Excellent upgrades, all make sense.

What don't you like about the Gunfighter stock vs B5? Interested since I just put one on a new lower.
    B5 just has what feels like a deeper toe and better cheekweld.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Looks great.

Is this used 100% suppressed?
    Yes

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    The T2 is mounted on a Scalarworks LEAP mount which is just awesome.
    Couple Q's about your T2 and magnifier usage on this rifle. Relevant for me, I have both a T1 and a T2, did some research on my T1 recently and realized the precision of the dot is not very optimal--or at least not as good as T2, comparing it to mine and a few others I've tried. I'm testing a few diff things--the T1 against my T2, both against a few other sights, T2 + magnifier vs LPVO, etc, trying to figure out what is optimal on a short-range personal H.D. rifle. Sounds like there's some similarity of optics usage on your patrol rifle.

When training with the T2 on that rifle, what are the longest ranges you've been able to get high percentage hits with adequate combat accuracy (however you or agency define that)? Or is the training all at closer ranges, whatever is considered your typical engagement envelope?

You mentioned you'll run an Aimpoint 3x magnifier to help with P.I.D. at greater ranges--which makes sense. Do you also plan to train with the Aimpoint 3x to extend your range? All stuff I'm thinking thru as well, for instance T2 alone, vs T2 + magnifier, vs LPVO, on rifles intended for mostly closer range use.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Couple Q's about your T2 and magnifier usage on this rifle. Relevant for me, I have both a T1 and a T2, did some research on my T1 recently and realized the precision of the dot is not very optimal--or at least not as good as T2, comparing it to mine and a few others I've tried. I'm testing a few diff things--the T1 against my T2, both against a few other sights, T2 + magnifier vs LPVO, etc, trying to figure out what is optimal on a short-range personal H.D. rifle. Sounds like there's some similarity of optics usage on your patrol rifle.

When training with the T2 on that rifle, what are the longest ranges you've been able to get high percentage hits with adequate combat accuracy (however you or agency define that)? Or is the training all at closer ranges, whatever is considered your typical engagement envelope?

You mentioned you'll run an Aimpoint 3x magnifier to help with P.I.D. at greater ranges--which makes sense. Do you also plan to train with the Aimpoint 3x to extend your range? All stuff I'm thinking thru as well, for instance T2 alone, vs T2 + magnifier, vs LPVO, on rifles intended for mostly closer range use.
    At my agency, we qual at 50 yds and in. Four shots are taken at the 50 in a prone position. Not at all difficult, especially with the T2. Typical (as if there is a typical shooting!) engagement distances where I pull my rifle is probably 25yds and in. Sometimes, it may be extended if you are a perimeter unit on a barricaded suspect or something along those line, which typically will be about 100 to 50yds distance. Normal felony stop distances, where rifles will surely be pulled and aimed at suspects, is about 15 to 25 yards. Last night I cleared a home with my rifle, had there been a shooting the engagement distance at max would have been 10yds, minimum would have been contact.

The magnifier will be for those longer distance (25yds and up) situations where it gets harder and harder to see exactly what suspects are doing in their vehicle, in house windows, etc. We are not allowed to use LPVO's for patrol, and can only use up to 3x for magnification with an Aimpoint, Vortex, or Eotech magnifier, or else I would stick a 6x magnifier on it.

We have recently moved to RDS equipped handguns, which means we are doing a lot of handgun distance shooting (50 to 100 yds) with great hit percentages on steel (think making a school hallway or grocery store isle shot). Because of this, we have started to do more 100yd distance shooting with the rifles as well. Utilizing the issued Aimpoint PRO's, even our least firearms savvy cops (yes, they exist, sadly enough) are able to make consistent hits on steel at 100yds in the prone. If you think about the force multiplier that a handful of carbines and red dots could have been on say the North Hollywood Shootout or the FBI Miami Shootout, it's amazing to think about how far we have come and what he have available to us today.

I do intend to train with the magnifier to extend my range. I shoot a few times a month on my own time, so I'd like to start working on speed and accuracy at longer distances. As a former Marine, I'd like to say I can still shoot expert at 500yds with irons like I did I over decade ago, but truthfully I have not shot past 200 yds in many years, maybe the magnifier will change that, maybe not. In law enforcement, engagement distances are often up close, personal, and very messy.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    The magnifier will be for those longer distance (25yds and up) situations where it gets harder and harder to see exactly what suspects are doing in their vehicle, in house windows, etc. We are not allowed to use LPVO's for patrol, and can only use up to 3x for magnification with an Aimpoint, Vortex, or Eotech magnifier, or else I would stick a 6x magnifier on it.
    Good info--thanks.

Do you know the rationale for not letting you use LPVO's? Is it mainly just 'proven reliability', or is the cost a factor? Seems like, for your use cases, a 1-6 LPVO would be ideal, except it would jack up your weight (and cost) quite a bit.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast