Thread: Putting a rifle stock on AR-9 lower, which originally had a pistol brace

Feedback Score

Putting a rifle stock on AR-9 lower, which originally had a pistol brace

Greetings,

I have an AR-9 lower receiver, which was originally delivered with a pistol brace.
    I intent to put an upper assembly with a 16" barrel on this lower, and while doing that, I would like to change that pistol brace for a rifle stock.
    Given the 16" barrel length, is it OK to swap the original pistol brace for a rifle stock?

Eugene

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eugene-g View Post
    Greetings,

I have an AR-9 lower receiver, which was originally delivered with a pistol brace.
    I intent to put an upper assembly with a 16" barrel on this lower, and while doing that, I would like to change that pistol brace for a rifle stock.
    Given the 16" barrel length, is it OK to swap the original pistol brace for a rifle stock?

Eugene
    Yes. The lower is neither a "pistol" or "rifle" lower until it is assembled into a firearm. Also, if it was assembled as a pistol, you can change it to a rifle.

You may néed to change the receiver extension (buffer tube), depending on the brace it was supplied with.

Andy

P.S. This would have been better posted in AR Pistol or Technical Support. A mod may well move it.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-30-20 at 21:24.

Feedback Score
    What is a receiver extension (buffer tube)?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeniva View Post
    What is a receiver extension (buffer tube)?
    Yes. Buffer tube is the slang term for receiver extension.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    The question you ask is not necessary what you mean. A "Rifle stock" is a fixed length stock that mounts in a slightly different manner. Your brace most likely slips onto a carbine receiver extention and can be replaced with a carbine stock. To confuse you even more there are two diameters of carbine receiver extentions (military and commercial).

Yes, what you talk of doing is legal. It's very easy to do, and of course it's been made more confusing than it needs to be.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.