Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why don't the big names use solar power in their red dots?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Why don't the big names use solar power in their red dots?

Why don't reputable companies like Aimpoint, Eotech and Trijicon use solar power in their designs. I think I would be more inclined to buy more optics from these companies if they offered some sort of battery and solar power options combined. I know there is a dual illuminated RMR, but from what I've heard it has issues.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...ct1.php?id=SRS

Trijicon still sells these if I'm not mistaken. They came out a few years ago, but were eclipsed (pun intended) by the MRO, which they released shortly afterwards.

One of the issues with solar is that you do need some space up top for the panel. The SRS is a pretty big optic; possibly for that purpose. But, it came out when the T2, RMR, and MRO were all the rage.

Added: The RMR's dual illumination was from tritium and fiber optic, not solar.
    Last edited by Chameleox; 09-08-19 at 05:37. Reason: Added info ref. RMR
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I’ve known about the SRS. The issues with the srs are the price and availability. I really do think that consumers want optics that give them the most bang for there buck, and that they want cutting edges options with either something like solar or a rechargeable option. I know companies like holosun have solar type option. But I just wonder why you don’t see the big companies pursuing the path.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Because Solar is expensive and unreliable
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How do those watches that are advertised as "fueled by light", never needing batteries, work at night?

Seems like a Red Dot could be made the same way? My guess is those watches really have a battery inside that lasts the 10 years of the warranty lol. How else do they work at night?

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc3081 View Post
    Because Solar is expensive and unreliable
    And inefficient, plus with 7-10 year battery life available why does anyone need it? The holosun and trijicon models with solar don’t provide enough juice to power them alone, so they assist the battery vs power it solely. You’d need a much larger bank of solar cells to provide the energy needed.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 09-09-19 at 16:02.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    How do those watches that are advertised as "fueled by light", never needing batteries, work at night?

Seems like a Red Dot could be made the same way? My guess is those watches really have a battery inside that lasts the 10 years of the warranty lol. How else do they work at night?
    Solar doesn't mean it doesn't have a battery. My 12 year old Citizen Eco Drive watch shuts down everything but the processor when in the dark. In the winter when you pull your sleeve up to check the time it powers up and the hands jog to correct time. I also corrects several times a day through a radio signal. Don't ask me how that works. It's been good enough that the minute it dies I will get another one. My guess is a RDS requires more energy than a watch. I don't see the need for solar in a sight. Maybe I could justify a solar rig to charge batteries if a SHTF event last any length of time.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    https://www.sigsauer.com/store/romeo4t-1x20-mm.html

I'm no operator but I haven't had any problems with mine. I've heard some smack talk about Sig Optics, but also heard some good things too. I've never run any of mine hard enough to destroy them, but I'm a fan and have a couple Romeo's (4's and 5's). The main thing that drew me to them in the first place is they seem to be the best (next to Aimpoints that I also have) for my astigmatism, but I also call the solar on the 4T model a feature.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr McSimon View Post
    https://www.sigsauer.com/store/romeo4t-1x20-mm.html

I'm no operator but I haven't had any problems with mine. I've heard some smack talk about Sig Optics, but also heard some good things too. I've never run any of mine hard enough to destroy them, but I'm a fan and have a couple Romeo's (4's and 5's). The main thing that drew me to them in the first place is they seem to be the best (next to Aimpoints that I also have) for my astigmatism, but I also call the solar on the 4T model a feature.
    Holosun, and Sig optics are constantly evolving, and improving, while listening to the feedback from the end user. I have talked tons of shit on Holosun, and then they come out with something incredible like the 507c that is working excellent on hard use handguns, for way less than the RMR or the aimpoints.

They are becoming hard to ignore in the firearms community. I own aimpoints, and RMR's, and the Sig optics at my local dealer have clearer glass and a crisper dot (To me) than my Aimpoint or RMR. YMMV
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I also corrects several times a day through a radio signal. Don't ask me how that works.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWVB

Most of the solar powered watches from the better makers will run between 30-60 days on a full charge without any light. When they do get low they will often go into a low power mode and only basic watch functions will continue to work.
    Last edited by QuackXP; 09-09-19 at 19:32.
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast