Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why don't the big names use solar power in their red dots?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Why? Because I don't think there is any money it, past hobby users.

If a .Gov agency wanted solar, they'd make solar.

But what real door kickers or even regular soldiers want to worry if the rifle optic that has been in their locker / deployment box is 'charged'?

Who wants to leave their black rifles baking in the hot ass sun to 'charger' either?

Solar on optics is currently a solution in search of a problem to solve.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    And inefficient, plus with 7-10 year battery life available why does anyone need it? The holosun and trijicon models with solar don’t provide enough juice to power them alone, so they assist the battery vs power it solely. You’d need a much larger bank of solar cells to provide the energy needed.
    I did not find that to be the case this past Labor Day at all. Ran my Holosun without even the battery tray in the thing..as I have honestly misplaced the thing a couple days earlier. Shot the rifle all Monday afternoon..the Holosun RD was bright & beautiful the whole afternoon. Could be adjusted from dim..all the way to max.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 09-09-19 at 20:49.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    And inefficient, plus with 7-10 year battery life available why does anyone need it? The holosun and trijicon models with solar don’t provide enough juice to power them alone, so they assist the battery vs power it solely. You’d need a much larger bank of solar cells to provide the energy needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Why? Because I don't think there is any money it, past hobby users.

If a .Gov agency wanted solar, they'd make solar.

But what real door kickers or even regular soldiers want to worry if the rifle optic that has been in their locker / deployment box is 'charged'?

Who wants to leave their black rifles baking in the hot ass sun to 'charger' either?

Solar on optics is currently a solution in search of a problem to solve.
    I disagree.
    The dot comes on instantly..no charging required. Even in my bedroom it works.
    I see the solar panel just as a back-up to a dead battery.
    Again...there is no charging required...I wouldnt want it either were that the case.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Solar doesn't mean it doesn't have a battery. My 12 year old Citizen Eco Drive watch shuts down everything but the processor when in the dark. In the winter when you pull your sleeve up to check the time it powers up and the hands jog to correct time. I also corrects several times a day through a radio signal. Don't ask me how that works. It's been good enough that the minute it dies I will get another one. My guess is a RDS requires more energy than a watch. I don't see the need for solar in a sight. Maybe I could justify a solar rig to charge batteries if a SHTF event last any length of time.
    Not a bad plan. Food for thought.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I’m surprised that the major companies aren't embracing solar power as a redundant type of back up. Because for example the batteries that people consider easy to find aren’t necessarily easy to find when you start traveling the US or even the world.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    FBI approved list:

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/romeo4t-1x20-mm.html

I don't think it matters either way considering the battery life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12