Hey guys,

I am a huge fan of 1911s and I am also a huge fans of lights and lasers on pistols. I like the light because I like to see stuff and I like the laser because in extremely low light situations they are faster than sights. It is also super useful if you are old like me and find yourself without your glasses. YMMV. This is great news for me because I have similar setups on my SHIELD, USP 45 and Glock 19

Anyway, I have had railed 1911s in the past but I really never liked having a heavy railed gun, with lights, etc. It usually meant the gun was too large for anything but beside the bed duty. I have always wanted a light for a classic 1911 frame (and I have actually drawn up and idea for a hinged clamshell light). Anyway, I just noticed the TLR-6 the other day and saw it for $90 on Amazon and ordered one.

The unit is a red laser (my preference for battery life) and has a meh 100 Lumen Light. I am BY NO MEANS a fan of mega lights on handguns but 100 lumens is getting pretty marginal, I would prefer around 200. But hey.

It is a clamshell unit and it basically is two pieces that fits around the trigger guard. It has three screws (I loctited them). One FANTASTIC feature is the latched bottom fed battery compartment. No need to rezero (even though I really haven't found that to be necessary with X400s or Laser Grips.

I put mine on my old cursed 1911 "Christine" which is a 1911 that has been stolen from me, rusted and abused, and returned to me after being bad luck for everyone that took it or possessed it (no joke!). I took it down to the range and zeroed it. It used the same key size as crimson trace so I used my CT tool. It was only a slight adjustment as I had pre zeroed it to the sights.

I ran 100 rounds of FMJ and 8 rounds of Gold Sabers and it held zero fine and of course didn't effect function.

I really like the unit. The way it mounts is very solid. I suspect zeroing will be no problem. It does use weird camera batteries Cr 1/3N Lithium so that is a downside. It also has side buttons only so you have to use your support hand to operate the buttons. Not an uncommon setup, but I prefer a pressure switch.

So, the pros are...

1. Fits non-railed 1911s.
2. Mounts FIRM
3. Can swap battery without removal.
4. CHEAP ($90).

Cons

1. Not a powerful flashlight (100 lumens).
2. No provision for DG switch.

Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr