Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting option for classic 1911s, TLR-6 Light/Laser combo

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Interesting option for classic 1911s, TLR-6 Light/Laser combo

Hey guys,

I am a huge fan of 1911s and I am also a huge fans of lights and lasers on pistols. I like the light because I like to see stuff and I like the laser because in extremely low light situations they are faster than sights. It is also super useful if you are old like me and find yourself without your glasses. YMMV. This is great news for me because I have similar setups on my SHIELD, USP 45 and Glock 19

Anyway, I have had railed 1911s in the past but I really never liked having a heavy railed gun, with lights, etc. It usually meant the gun was too large for anything but beside the bed duty. I have always wanted a light for a classic 1911 frame (and I have actually drawn up and idea for a hinged clamshell light). Anyway, I just noticed the TLR-6 the other day and saw it for $90 on Amazon and ordered one.

The unit is a red laser (my preference for battery life) and has a meh 100 Lumen Light. I am BY NO MEANS a fan of mega lights on handguns but 100 lumens is getting pretty marginal, I would prefer around 200. But hey.

It is a clamshell unit and it basically is two pieces that fits around the trigger guard. It has three screws (I loctited them). One FANTASTIC feature is the latched bottom fed battery compartment. No need to rezero (even though I really haven't found that to be necessary with X400s or Laser Grips.

I put mine on my old cursed 1911 "Christine" which is a 1911 that has been stolen from me, rusted and abused, and returned to me after being bad luck for everyone that took it or possessed it (no joke!). I took it down to the range and zeroed it. It used the same key size as crimson trace so I used my CT tool. It was only a slight adjustment as I had pre zeroed it to the sights.

I ran 100 rounds of FMJ and 8 rounds of Gold Sabers and it held zero fine and of course didn't effect function.

I really like the unit. The way it mounts is very solid. I suspect zeroing will be no problem. It does use weird camera batteries Cr 1/3N Lithium so that is a downside. It also has side buttons only so you have to use your support hand to operate the buttons. Not an uncommon setup, but I prefer a pressure switch.

So, the pros are...

1. Fits non-railed 1911s.
    2. Mounts FIRM
    3. Can swap battery without removal.
    4. CHEAP ($90).

Cons

1. Not a powerful flashlight (100 lumens).
    2. No provision for DG switch.

Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nice--may be interested in one of those for my non-railed 9mm Commander. Ordinarily I'd favor CT for laser anything, but they don't seem to have anything exactly like this for non-railed 1911's.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    They fit well on my pocket G42/43, but damn on a 1911 I be like....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post

Well they do compromise the classic aesthetics a bit, so there's that.

Think of it this way: the vast majority of 1911's out there are the classic non-railed design. Say you decide to run one for H.D. or carry. In the case of the HD or nightstand gun, if running a 1911 I'd definitely want a laser sight, and a WML. This is one of the few (if not only) ways to get this in a single integrated unit on a non-railed 1911. Sure an RDS is an enhanced sighting option too vs the laser, but geez, having to go mill that narrow 1911 slide for RDS? And then you STILL need a separate WML solution? This option is not only cost-effective, it's more compact.

When you think about the alternatives, or the lack of good alternatives, this is actually a pretty decent option.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post

Actually this. I dunno whether that is cool or ugly or ugly in a cool way or cool in an ugly way.

I’m confused. And that’s saying something given my predilections.

Feedback Score
    Delete
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 08-20-20 at 13:42.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Actually this. I dunno whether that is cool or ugly or ugly in a cool way or cool in an ugly way.

I’m confused. And that’s saying something given my predilections.
    Aesthetics are overrated. You should know firsthand bro--you like Glocks.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I use the CTC laser grips on my 1911.

Happy with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I believe in peace, love and extremely violent weapons systems... just in case that whole peace-and-love thing doesn't work out.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I get that it works, but if I was going to carry a 1911 of some type on duty / CCW, I'd just get a railed model and put a more capable unit on it.

The TLR6 is a decent option but I see it as a niche for subcompacts for pocket / IWB carry.

It's a WML, and it's better than no WML at all, but that's about it. Useful for up close (7yds maybe) shooting, but that's about it.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    It’s clearly best on a officers model aesthetically. It is fine for beside the bed duty but I think they should make a 300 lumen longer model for the full size. But, it locks in tighter than any rail mounted unit so at least you don’t have to worry about losing zero and you get an ok early 00s lumen light for burglar work for $80
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast